Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
don't thread on me
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is one of my favorite places on the planet and is accessible from almost anywhere on the east coast. Bad news is that there is NO MTB access to the trails. The good news is that the Cade's Cove Loop Road and all adjoining gravel roads are. The loop road is 12 miles long and paved, but has some good climbs and drops that will give you a workout. Saturdays and Wednesdays, the loop road is closed to cars and open to bikes only till 10AM.

I took all of these pics with my Nikon D50 from my BIKE while riding the loop. (Except for the one of me) :) If you you like to see wildlife while you ride, this place is a trip.

Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Nature Vegetation Mountainous landforms Sky Natural environment

Galliformes Bird Phasianidae Wild turkey Domesticated turkey

Nature Vegetation Natural environment Natural landscape Road

Deer Organism Natural environment Vertebrate Antelope

Ear Vegetation Nature Grass Natural environment

Nature Natural environment Road Leaf Tree

Nature Vegetation Natural landscape Natural environment Cloud

Human Highland Mountain range Hill Mountain

Nature Vegetation Natural environment Mountainous landforms Atmosphere

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Those are great pics. You are lucky to have seen and gotten a picture of a bear. I'll even forgive you for being a Tennessee fan.

I got to do that road loop in 2006. We saw lot's of deer, and some turkey, but no bear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That's MY favorite place on the planet as well. Correction, though, you can bike the loop any time. It is closed to motorized traffice Wed and Sat AM. Even though the tech difficulty is low, Parsons Branch and Rich Mtn. Roads are fun on the MTB. Also, it ain't that far from Fontana, Tsali, and Chilhowee.

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Funny Smokies Story

I used to be a Park Ranger in the Smokies and had plenty of interaction with your average park visitor. One day a gentleman approached me at the visitor's center and expressed an interest in the elk we had reintroduced to the park.

I almost fell over when he asked me how old a deer had to be before it was considered an elk.

Ahhh, gotta love opportunities to educate the public.

·
don't thread on me
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
cooldaddy said:
wow, lots of wild life...

ps. you may want to check the amount of "image/file compression" used in either the camera or photoshop. those shots have some major distortion, a D50 should produce better quality than that....
Thanks for the input. You were exactly right. I went back and corrected the problem and updated the pics.

Here's a couple of more pics

Cheers

Nature Grass Natural landscape Road Infrastructure

Nature Grass Natural landscape Grassland Terrestrial animal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.