Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t tell anyone but alpine is open to Kate’s and almost snow free and dead mountain is clear and riding great. Larison rock is open but people are being silly about keeping it a secret. Everything above 2500 ft has little or no blow down. Braaaaaap!

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,254 Posts
Don't tell anyone but alpine is open to Kate's and almost snow free and dead mountain is clear and riding great. Larison rock is open but people are being silly about keeping it a secret. Everything above 2500 ft has little or no blow down. Braaaaaap!
And Heckletooth is good to go as well. Er, up & down the trail, anyway. Did this 2 weeks ago and I hear the road is open so now it's possible to loop it. Hmmm... might do this tomorrow or the next day.

What about south Salmon Creek? All clear? I like to include it in the Heckletooth loop. Thanks!
=sParty

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I booked with them two years ago it was the same. Zero communication. Nice guys, but they ran super late and really turned me off. Just a real unorganized mess. I was on a tight schedule and it was frustrating.

However- Daniel and Phil at Cog wild were so awesome. Definitely worth the extra cash. Super helpful, genuine people. One of the reasons I return year after year. Plus they have a little corner at the merc, so I was able to just book it there quickly. Phil was rad in offering to get groups together and stopping to talk on his day off. They do it because they love it, definitely not for the money.

Cant wait to be back in July!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Something different is going on now with OA, more than the usual. I’ve never had problems booking an Alpine ride in the past.

Cog Wild is running shuttles but now they have a spot up the hill on 1st and Pine. Many of their shuttles depart from other locations.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
anyone know if Oregon Adventures is still in business?
The OA location on 58 was quiet this past weekend. Everything was closed up except for the main gate. No activity. I got an Alpine shuttle from Cog Wild on Sunday, June 16th. Some of the other clients said that OA didn't get their operating permit from USFS this year. So, that coupled with the new operations for MBO and, I guess it's over?

In other news, Trans-Cascadia is setting up a little satellite operation right across from Westfir Lodge and also across from the red covered bridge.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not familiar with the area and am thinking about checking it out this weekend from out of state. The situation sounds less than ideal (and expensive) for shuttles, especially since Cog Wild is located in Bend. Is it a bad idea to go with the idea of pedaling up any of the trails?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is quite expensive but I would shuttle (or self shuttle) because 1- I’m on vacation, and 2- I want to hit as many dh trails as possible.

I’m totally cool with 4-5k climb days but even with that you only get to hit say, 1 lap of hardesty or Eula (my 2 faves in the area)

Whereas if you shuttle then these trails only take about 1000-1500 feet of climbing

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm definitely of the same mindset in general. I should add that this would just be a stop on a much longer west coast trip on my way to Squamish, so I can't for sure commit to an exact time. I also have the option of riding in Bend, but I've heard that Oakridge is more fun.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
The only people I know who climb up to Alpine and then ride all of ATCA are either doing it during the Cascade Creampuff or training for the Cascade Creampuff.

especially since Cog Wild is located in Bend
The drivers and managers for the Oakridge shuttling being operated by Cog Wild are locals to Oakridge. They all did a great job. To me it's worth it just to have someone handle the logistics.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Is it best to stay near Bend if a person plans a shuttle, as opposed to staying in OakRidge?

Is it all that long of climbing that you'd only get one one in per day if you need to climb 4,000 to do one run?
I've done the Alpine Trail 3 times in a single day by climbing the road. Took me right at 12 hours total. If you're reasonably fit, I'd think you could pull off 1 lap in 4 hours with minimal stops. If I remember correct, the fastest guys were doing it in 9 hours that day.

As for the shuttles being expensive. There is a surprising amount of driving to get from Oakridge to the trailheads.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,254 Posts
The only people I know who climb up to Alpine and then ride all of ATCA are either doing it during the Cascade Creampuff or training for the Cascade Creampuff.
Um... that's not exactly true, Tim. :ihih:
Though I admit it's been a while since I've done it.
Too many trails, too little time... even for a hard charging retiree. :)
=sParty

·
Registered
1,284 Posts

The drivers and managers for the Oakridge shuttling being operated by Cog Wild are locals to Oakridge. They all did a great job. To me it's worth it just to have someone handle the logistics.
Mmmmm... I always climb it. Already have this year. I would take another day off work before I would pay to ride. Bunchgrass IS worth a shuttle.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,254 Posts

This one helped me understand what Bend is all about.
That vid summarizes my opinion of Bend's trails, terrain & tread conditions and the chief reason I choose Oakridge over Bend for pure riding. However if you seek a plethora of restaurants & breweries, shopping ops plus bumping elbows with a zillion other touristy, transplanted outdoorspeople, Bend is the place!
=sParty

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
That vid summarizes my opinion of Bend's trails
Drifting off topic here like a poorly-executed turn in a sandy berm on Mrazek in August on a 90F day at 3:30pm, BUT...

The video is titled that it's about Phil's complex, and is most accurate if viewed in that context. It notably misses lower Whoops. "Bend" is spoken as though synonymous with "Phil's" but that's not very accurate. The riding experience around Wanoga is different. So is the riding at higher elevations.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.