Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through the new MBA, and this advice from different bike company column thing, and Titus gives some excellent advice about how when shopping for your next bike be sure to pick it up based on what feels good, and what MBA reports. Unqualified advice off an Internet forum isn't reliable....(end quot).

Good on you Titus!!! Those Internet morons need to have it laid out for em! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They must be talking about Ridemonkey or somethin? :confused:

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
blackagness said:
I was looking through the new MBA, and this advice from different bike company column thing, and Titus gives some excellent advice about how when shopping for your next bike be sure to pick it up based on what feels good, and what MBA reports. Unqualified advice off an Internet forum isn't reliable....(end quot).

Good on you Titus!!! Those Internet morons need to have it laid out for em! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I saw that also and was hoping it was tongue and cheek. However, I don't think so. :eekster:

Should we start worrying about Titus? When they got bought they mentioned getting some much needed capital. Those are words from a company in trouble.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Vespasianus said:
I saw that also and was hoping it was tongue and cheek. However, I don't think so. :eekster:

Should we start worrying about Titus? When they got bought they mentioned getting some much needed capital. Those are words from a company in trouble.
Who bought Titus?

·
Registered
6,094 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
blackagness said:
Yeah, what do those morons actually riding the bikes know?? :skep: :D

I think the comment was more in the lines of "support your LBS" which is actually in line with their policies.

And in all honesty, sometimes the fanboy'ism can cloud some of the opinions. Say, you ask on the Giant forum if buying the Giant or a Titus and they'll say Giant. Post it here, you'll hear Titus.

However, these forums are a powerful tool to know the intimacies of a bike, the problems and details users have to sort out. You just have to use some of your own criteria to filter the noise from the signal.... but that happens even more with mags or LBS's, especially if they're brand biased.

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
Saw that too

I was just hoping that it was said with some level of tongue in cheek. It still really rubbed me the wrong way though. I've been a long time subscriber to MBA and they are really in a slump since Jimmy Mac became co-editor. His editorials are usually pretty lame. The mag has become so self serving that it just turns me off.

My wife loves her MotoLite, but she didnt get it because MBA said so. I admit that what you get from forums should be taken with a grain of salt, but the reviews in MBA are totally misguided and lack substance. At least on the forums you can search for reliability issues, customer service feedback and general usage of the bike. Plus helpful tips, setup infor etc etc. Sorry for the rant but that issue of MBA sucked. My wife got her ML *because* of research on forums.

·
Registered
162 Posts
blackagness said:

I must have missed that article the first time I saw the mag, but I looked again this morning and low and behold there was that quote. I have to say that it is unfortunate that I was mis-quoted. What I sent the editor who wrote the article was this...

"Most importantly, buy your next bike based on what feels good and what fits, not what an internet forum tells you."

My emphasis was in "what fits and what feels good" as opposed to listening to only the the guys in the Turner forum or something. Every bike will fit and feel different to each rider. I'm disappointed that MBA added the "...and what MBA reports" to my quote because once again fit and feel should trump what a magazine recommends.

Now an internet forum is an excellent resource to find out about bike set-up, etc.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Media

Thanks Jeff
Ive lost count the number of times that I have been misquoted in the media
Jeff
Ive just sold my 06 Motolite thinking about an 08 - should i wait to see what titus releases at interbike - how about a little shiff to get the rumour mill going
ML 29er ? , carbon ML ? should I wait ?
KiwiMike
Happy to have a confidential PM - nod nod wink wink !!
It was this ML 06 that I inported into NZ that started all the Titus NZ experience - I now hace Carbo racer X , my wife white 07 Rx .

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
Titus Jeff said:
I'm disappointed that MBA added the "...and what MBA reports"
... but probably not suprised... right!!!:D

i've found their bike reviews to be totally useless these days... they basically seem to say that every bike is the greatest bike and and has only minor flaws that can be improved by upgrades to better parts...

did you see that they reviewed 5 bikes and compared them... one was declared the winner and the other 4 were a tie?!?...:eek: they even felt they had to say they weren't copping out...:rolleyes:

i agree with Jeff... you gotta ride it to see if you like it... that's why the demo tour is a good thing!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
919 Posts
MBA ws great 15 years ago. They actually had fixtures to measure head angles, test fork torsional stiffness etc, as opposed to publishing mfr "specs". They had really in depth reviews. Now I guess there is too much stuff to test to get detailed. I stll subscribe, but it's not the Mag it used to be.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm glad we cleared that up. Good thing Titus doesn't have any internet forum boards comprised of Titus owners, and fans that give advice to perspective customers, or MBA would have started some shiz for one of their advertisers. :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

I guess the writers at MBA have degrees from the University of MTB? Why they think their opinon is anymore valid than the collective opinion of hundreds of introweb board users is beyond me.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I was really surprised to see that in MBA!
In regards to MBA it still rates as one of my top 3 mags that I subscribe too but unfortunately I totally agree with the views above that there bike reviews have lost credibility with me too!
Most of us enjoy reviews that are comparative and rate a bike compared to others.
Hell we spend hours on this forum in search of the "Holy Grail" to improve our biking experiance!
MBA has always been a BIG S fan with there bikes featuring almost every issue one way or another! This annoys me and is obviously biased!
I havn't seen too much mud slinging the BIG S way in regards to the biggest recall in MTB history with there new intergrated forks on the 07 Enduro's etc, etc.
No all quiet on that front while proven performers Titus, Ventana, Yeti and Turner keep going strong with designs that work.
Only after the fact do MBA now acknowledge that Santa Cruz VPP had major bearing issues......now the BLT V2 is out!!!!
Interetsting too cause Jimmy has a Exogrid ML and Richard a Intense 5.5!
Oh and in the latest issue another Bis S "Epic" that looks like a copy of a Racer X!!!!!
Normal practice of MBA is a preview than a full on review so another score for the BIG S marketing machine.

·
Training for vacation
306 Posts
Once I started reading What and MBUK at the bookstore I have pretty much lost interest in MBA. I’m no anglophile but they seem to have more helpful advise and technical reviews, too bad about the $10 price tag though. Pretty much the only US mag I have access to that doesn’t feel like one massive Ad is Dirtrag. But hey, at least MBA is head and shoulder beyond "mountain bike” mag which feels like no writer/editor has ever spent much time riding on dirt.

·
Registered
124 Posts
gte819s said:
Once I started reading What and MBUK at the bookstore I have pretty much lost interest in MBA. I'm no anglophile but they seem to have more helpful advise and technical reviews, too bad about the $10 price tag though. Pretty much the only US mag I have access to that doesn't feel like one massive Ad is Dirtrag. But hey, at least MBA is head and shoulder beyond "mountain bike" mag which feels like no writer/editor has ever spent much time riding on dirt.
MBUK is the best mag on the racks in my opinion along with MTBR UK . Before they stocked the uk mags in Indonesia I had to resort to MBA. Pile of crap in comparison. There are some good australian ones as well. You also get some cool free dvds with mbuk as well. Only ever seen a titus 29er review and a quick mention of the el gaupo though......

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey Salty
Hows it going
Sold my 06 ML ( so what do I get now ) still have the carb racer X -- will the s works Epic look as good now way
I went from the Big S to the BIG T and never looked back - in my opinion the Big S designs have done the full circle back to FSR and Titus just stuck with it evolved it slowly.
It would brass me off if I had a big S that looked so radically different each year.
I guess MBA doesnt want to brass off a big advertiser.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Hi MW from NZ ML views

Hey ther MW

Well I can't help you there....cause the Ti ML is the BEST bike I have ridden or owned for my trails, steep and rocky but fast!.
Have ridden recently a Nomad, 08 575, Trek cocentric, 08 Fro Spyder and 5.5 and Trance X all good bikes BUT the Titus still has my heart.
My riding buddie has a new Pivot 5 nothing like the ML more effecient but nowhere near the small bump compliance plus harsh on the small stuff may as well be on a Anthem! Looks good though! Not that light!

Really impressed with the XTR 975 wheelset too....man they are FAST!!

Oh also rode the new Sworks Stumpy (11k) and not that impressed certainly wouldnt choose that over my ML for sure not adjustability on the new propietry fork and it needs it!

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
blackagness said:

You were readin' in the outhouse right?? MBA makes lousy wipe though, much too rough!:thumbsup:

i1dry?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.