Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m trying to set-up a bike for my 72 year-old Dad to tackle the Great Divide (in stages). I was thinking a fast rolling 2.6” up front and a 2.4” rear at the lowest pressure possible would help smooth things out for him as he has Carpel-tunnel syndrome, and, well, a 72 y.o. body. Looks like the Mezcal is the only thing in this category that comes in those sizes , maybe a Kenda Saber, but those are a bit undersized IME.
OR, and I wrong and a 2.2 is plenty cushy for the great divide?

EDIT: the bike is a fully rigid Fargo, it’s an older model, but it checks out. Want to give big tires a try before adding the expense, weight and complication of suspension.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a rigid Fargo. I edited my original post to reflect this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Try something all day and go from there.

Section surfaces could vary significantly, so I’d look at that. Consider rain/mud.

Overall my sense is to not get crazy with heavy rubber and low pressure. It could add years to knocking off the entire divide in sections and make some of the passes a grind.

Get the contact points worked out to mitigate reliance on tires/suspension. Again, spend copious time on the bike before multi-day riding.

Reactions: RickBullottaPA

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I believe the OP said has a Fargo. Here's the not so secret weapon our Fargo has after trying other tires. They really do live up to the hype. We have "endurance" casing. They are super predictable for a wide range of conditions. They are super comfortable. They roll with ease compared to other tires we've had on the Fargo and you'll shake your head with how well something that's got your back off road rolls on a road.

We have the 55 and 48 mm on two different off-road tourer bikes. Both are great and can do much the same. The 48 mm are nice for pushing and holding the speeds faster on pavement and hard packed rides. The 55s as 35 psi tubeless are better in rougher and softer stuff but then surprise you with how well they roll when it's easy going or you're on pavement.

Here's what might be super important to know. The Hearse knobbies don't pack with mud like other fast rolling larger tires. You can't rail them on edge like putting a racing MTB tire on a Fargo but that's not what a Fargo or touring are about.

·
This place needs an enema
17,647 Posts
I'm trying to set-up a bike for my 72 year-old Dad to tackle the Great Divide (in stages). I was thinking a fast rolling 2.6" up front and a 2.4" rear at the lowest pressure possible would help smooth things out for him as he has Carpel-tunnel syndrome, and, well, a 72 y.o. body. Looks like the Mezcal is the only thing in this category that comes in those sizes , maybe a Kenda Saber, but those are a bit undersized IME.
OR, and I wrong and a 2.2 is plenty cushy for the great divide?

EDIT: the bike is a fully rigid Fargo, it's an older model, but it checks out. Want to give big tires a try before adding the expense, weight and complication of suspension.
High volume, low tread. If the bike can fit 2.6's, run XR2's. If 2.8's, run McFly's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.