Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 80 of 444 Posts

·
Homey the Clown
185 Posts
29Colossus said:
Christ on a flaming stick... you have been following the race for years, yet you can't answer those questions?

I don't get it.

:skep:
Ok, maybe I should clarify. It seems that both of those things should be the case (a record is a record, no matter when it occurs and there's no reason that there can't be an overall GDMBR record added to the GDR site), but looking at the posts on this site, those in charge seem to have pretty staunch ideas about the way things should be, and maybe my impression isn't correct.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
pbasinger said:
Many "intelligent" arguments against adding Matt's Canadian prologue to the race have been presented in countless emails over and over and over and over to the point where I'm ready to puke. The bottom line is that those of us who officiated the Great Divide RACE, who have spent time and money creating a website, discussing rules, routes and promoting the race, have decided that it is from border to border. Period.
Well put, Pete.

I will add that I have been party to many email discussions, privately between Matt and I, or with some subset of other interested GDR parties. I raced in the second edition of the GDR ('05).

He has failed to convince me that the GDR should include Canada, despite his many attempts. I'm now sick of hearing about it and agree with Pete that Matt's ramblings and attitude towards the subject have begun to detract and distract from the race.

Let's move on already.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The coin has two sides

Not trying to get into a ping pong match here, but Scott, Mike and Pete have also failed to convince me that it doesn't belong in the race.

"Ramblings", to which all are entitled when it comes to forums such as these, only seem to be a distraction for those adamantly against the idea of extension. Controversy, if addressed appropriately rather than merely deemed obnoxious and squelched, is often beneficial. Who and/or what are we really dividing with this dialogue anyway? It's barely a race each year. It's certainly not chasing off competitors, sponsors or what little media coverage our endeavors garner.

In past GDR discussions, two of the three "steering committee" members above have been heard to say they regret ever having spent efforts racing this fireroad route to begin with. To me, misgivings such as these suggest that they might lack farsightedness when it comes to the future of the event.

On Jimbo's question of, "Why is a record on the overall (terminus to terminus) GDMBR not acknowledged?", The short answer is that to do so would be to recognize significance of the Canadian section. That doesn't serve the interest of the GDR/Ultra Records site...a site maintained by the existing GDR record-holder, race director and ergo, primary opponent of GDR extension. You won't see mention of an "overall" there anytime soon. But that's not the point of pushing for the extension. To have the GDR field ride from Banff, experience Canadian Rockies awe, and race the route end-to-end. That's the point.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've been following this discussion for a while. I've never done the race and probably never will, so I guess I'm an outsider.
I don't really see the point of adding the Canadian section. If you want to ride it, go ahead and do it as a "prologue" like you've done in the past. Why does it need to be added to the race route? Seems like a 2500-mile race is epic enough in terms of distance. There's nothing stopping anyone from riding the Canadian section before the race itself, as you've done.
To me it sounds like you're just looking for glory, since you probably hold the record over the entire GDR route.
Whatever the case, I'm tired of the bickering and I'm just a spectator...
Hope to ride the route some day, including the Canadian section, but not racing it...

·
Registered
320 Posts
On why: CN only adds 221 mi. and a whole lot of epic scenery, tough trail, cool Canadian attitude and legal MTB riding in designated Wilderness. Access to Banff is simple, relatively cheap, and cultural extra-curriculae abound. End-to-end is more pure w/rspt to the GDMBR. The GDR as an "international race" (just as the conti-divide is international) gives it more flair, IMO.

Almost no one in the race will ride the prologue if they're not receiving "fatigue credit" for it w/rspt to the conti-US race, esp. if what they're gunning for is the record.

I care little about the records. The records are part of why folks don't want to see it change. The first year a GDR field races the whole enchilada my time overall will surely be relegated. I have only earnestly pursued the GDR record once in my three years of participation - last year. And that was really only with Stamstad's assertion in mind that the only way to extend the race is to do both and rewrite the conti-us record. I'm out there for a love of the route and the experience. Let's call that "morning glory".

As this race grows slowly, the record will be rewritten numerous times over. To be protective of a record would be silly and shortsighted.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
mathewsen said:
Not trying to get into a ping pong match here, but Scott, Mike and Pete have also failed to convince me that it doesn't belong in the race.
No need to. It is you that is asking to change something that is existing, therefore it's up to you to make a case for it. You failed to do that.

mathewsen said:
"Ramblings", to which all are entitled when it comes to forums such as these, only seem to be a distraction for those adamantly against the idea of extension. Controversy, if addressed appropriately rather than merely deemed obnoxious and squelched, is often beneficial. Who and/or what are we really dividing with this dialogue anyway? It's barely a race each year. It's certainly not chasing off competitors, sponsors or what little media coverage our endeavors garner.
See the post below. People (beyond Mike, Pete and I) are tired of the bickering, and it is divisive. They don't understand what the fuss is about. Neither do I.

mathewsen said:
In past GDR discussions, two of the three "steering committee" members above have been heard to say they regret ever having spent efforts racing this fireroad route to begin with.
This is false. Zero regret here.

mathewsen said:
To me, misgivings such as these suggest that they might lack farsightedness when it comes to the future of the event.
Irrelevant.

Matt, it's Mike's race. He's told you "no." Politely, calmly, evenly, respectfully, impatiently and rudely, but "no", nonetheless.

I can't believe you don't get it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Krein said:
Matt, it's Mike's race. He's told you "no." Politely, calmly, evenly, respectfully, impatiently and rudely, but "no", nonetheless.
Mike organized the race in `04 and again in `06. It was brilliant of him to in `04 invite us all to join him in acccepting Stamstad's challenge, gun for his record.

I think to say that the GDR is someone's race is to misunderstand the spirit in which the challenge was envisioned. It's the entire endurance community's race, in my opinion. And if seen in that sense, it "takes a village" to usher it onward. As a three year veteran of the GDR with two Canadian prologues under my belt I've earned citizenship in this village. Call me the village idiot if you want, but don't censor the discussion of extension. I'm qualified to lobby for it.

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
mathewsen said:
Each time I read one of your ramblings I conclude that you really like to see your words in print.

In past GDR discussions, two of the three "steering committee" members above have been heard to say they regret ever having spent efforts racing this fireroad route to begin with. To me, misgivings such as these suggest that they might lack farsightedness when it comes to the future of the event.
There are 6 "steering committee" members. And while I will not devote the time and energy to racing the GDR ever again, that has zero effect on my ability to see the short and long term issues facing this race.

Calling my opinion a misgiving is a judgment that you have no basis nor right to make. Nor do I appreciate the constant passive/aggressive yet undeniably divisive jabs that you're taking. Find a new purpose, Matt--one that actually matters to someone other than yourself, and that benefits someone other than yourself.

On Jimbo's question of, "Why is a record on the overall (terminus to terminus) GDMBR not acknowledged?", The short answer is that to do so would be to recognize significance of the Canadian section.
Wrong answer. Your GDMBR thru-ride hasn't been placed on the Ultra Records page because you've never submitted it. Point the finger at yourself for a change.

That doesn't serve the interest of the GDR/Ultra Records site...a site maintained by the existing GDR record-holder, race director and ergo, primary opponent of GDR extension. You won't see mention of an "overall" there anytime soon.
And you claim you're not being divisive. Might as well claim to not be annoying too, but truthfully you're batting 1000 on both.

MC

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Compelling reason not to add Canada

Those of us with major criminal records may find it difficult if not impossible to get through the border.
Do we really want to exclude people like this?
Matt's proposed race is elitist!

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Part of me wishes that Matt would take this BS off the boards and handle it via email so that this thread can get back on topic....but then again....for the sake of Mike, Scott and others whose mailboxes would then be full of this non-sense......maybe it should continue on here........what to do....what to do!

B

·
17,245 Posts
donkey said:
Part of me wishes that Matt would take this BS off the boards and handle it via email so that this thread can get back on topic....but then again....for the sake of Mike, Scott and others whose mailboxxes would then be full of this non-sense......maybe it should continue on here........what to do....what to do!

B
Brian-

The reason that Matt has taken this public is because he's been told in no uncertain terms, via email and on the phone, over and over and over that Canada will not become a part of the GDR. Once he finally got it through his skull that it wasn't happening, he switched tactics and is now trying to drum up support through discussions like this.

His determination is almost as impressive as it is annoying. Too bad it's not a cause that'll benefit anyone in the end, or even along the way.

MC

·
Registered
320 Posts
the idea is important donkey. the discussion is obviously disintegrating. i have to go to work now so i'll be out of your collective hair. do work to get pardons for your felonies now, though.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
mathewsen said:
the idea is important donkey. the discussion is obviously disintegrating. i have to go to work now so i'll be out of your collective hair. do work to get pardons for your felonies now, though.
I am actually glad it was brought up here. I don't think your "idea" is important at all. The GDR is from border to border. THAT is the race. Frankly, I don't need the "awe" of Canada. I've been there. Pleany of "awe" in the current 2500 miles. The 200 miles only makes the logistics more difficult... Canada? No thanks. Add that, and many folks will simply say, "no way".

Anyone can time trial the course at any time they want. The course is what it is though. It is border to border. If someone wants to add the Canadian part, great. Go for it. No one is stopping you. No one is stopping anyone. If enough people do it, and want it, maybe 20 years from now it will be included, but not now... not next year... not the year after that.

Who am I to say that? I am one that respects Mike's and other's desires to keep the race what the race has been... To keep building stats and finishes and DNFs based on the SAME route, year in and year out. The future is wide open, but now is not the future of the GDR. Now is the present. 2007 might be a breakout year of sorts. It is right now as it is. No reason other than emotions and asthetics would justify changing what the GDR is into what it isn't.

The race is the GDR from border to border. That is ALL the race is. I am pleased that Mike and others are sticking to their guns on that. Add the Canadian section to the event itself, and you have an entirely DIFFERENT event.

·
17,245 Posts
jimbo said:
I have a question. I love the long events, though I've done nothing longer yet than an mtb 100, and 175 on the road. If someone were to ride the GDMBR, reported in regularly and broke one of the records (M,F,SS), but didn't do it at the time of the race, would that count?
Yep. From the front page of the GDR website:

The intent of the GDR is to establish a common date and set of rules so that those wishing to challenge the route or record may compete directly with other athletes under equal circumstances. While anyone may "time-trial" the GDMBR at any time, their effort will be recognized only if they follow the rules set out here.

jimbo said:
The other question I have is whether a record could be added to the GDR site for the entire GDMBR including Canada. Since it seems like any route can be included, why can't the record for the entire route be included? I'm not saying that the prologue should be part of the race, only that a record time could be added to the others already on the site. Many of those records were not set as part of a race anyway.
The record for the GDMBR could be included. All that would have to happen is the record holder would have to send me an email with the pertinent info, as laid out on the Ultra Race Records page.

Cheers,

MC

·
Rocky Mountain High
234 Posts
Cooling the debate for a little while, what are your thoughts of bringing an iPod Nano on the GDR? My biggest concern is "one more thing" to bring....most especially the charger (albeit pretty small). Charging is an issue unto itself, but maybe the occassional hotel, etc? Anyone had any experience toting some tunes on the GDR?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I always use an MP3 player.
I recommend you get a cheapie that uses replaceable batteries, because I think it’d be a huge pain to deal with charging even under the best of circumstances. Plus, it will get pretty trashed after a few weeks on the trail.

I have a San Disc player that was like $50. There are cheaper ones out there. Get a 2 gig card or bigger and you’re all set. I'm also convinced that this is a more durable setup than the fancy Apple ones.
If you’re going to carry a digital camera, I’d try to get a setup that uses the same type of memory so its all interchangeable.

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
training?

I did a few searches and came up with little info regarding the amount and type of training some of you vets have done in preperation for the GDR. Reading about this race over the past few years has been inspirational to say the least, and the little seed planted in the back of my head seems to be growing without regard to what logic dictates.
I am interested in finding more about training regimes in the months prior to the race to see if this is something that I can truly contemplate.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I’m probably the last person to share their thoughts on this because Mike C and another friend of mine that has been a long time CTS customer have both told me that I do not “train” in the proper sense of the word, but because my alternative activity at the moment is writing papers for school I’m going to weigh in despite how ignorant I am on the topic of “training”.

Getting ready for the GDR or a similar multi-day event is super easy and does not take nearly the amount of time that a lot of people think. You don’t have to ride 40 hours a week or pay for some online coach in the box bs.

I see there being two parts to training for a long race. Base miles/maintaining fitness and experience.
Time on the bike for me consists of rarely more than 10 hours a weeks. Usually 2 hour rides, 5 times a week. Once a month, if I’m fortunate enough to have the time, I’ll do a longer ride 5- 8 hours. That’s it.

The experience part is a little more work to get. Either by doing endurance races like 24 hour events or just planning a ride where you’ll be on the bike for a long period of time ( 20 hours - several days) where you can get some time dealing with stomach issues, sleep issues, bike fit, camping, saddle sore and all that stuff.
Touring, if you don’t take it too leisurely is a really good way to prepare.

I think after you do a few longer events, and get to a certain level of fitness just by riding, you’ll have a pretty good idea whether or not you’re ready for a really long race.

I am curious though what sort of time other people commit to training?

61 - 80 of 444 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.