Pluto Pilot said:
What: Race Entire Great Divide Route unsupported
When: December 22, 2007, 9 am
Where: Port Roosville, Montana
Rules: Same as Great Divide Race

More details soon.
Errr....

Huh?

If you're serious (?!!) I envision a setup like the one below: Bike with sled behind. Ride as much as you can, then switch to skis (notice the ski boots on his feet, and the skis stashed in the sled) and toss the bike in the sled.

But what about pavement stretches?

Not sure what you're thinkering up, but please 'splain (at least a little bit of your idea) when you can.

MC

Attachments

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
UUUUmmmmmmmm

Prob the hardest way to do the gdr?

Pro's

None of that starting with 25 other people....

no tourists in any of the other towns

no pesky heatstroke

nobody on texas wheelchairs buzzing by you

Con's

Pavement

cold really cold

cuts into ski season

route finding would be way tricky have to use GPS?

Dan,I think you just figured out how to make the gdr harder then riding it fixed or on a unicycle:madman:

If you do it... I'll be in denver staying warm thinking about you =)

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts
richpips said:
How deep does the snow get in the mountains ?
It's snowy at all elevations in northern CO by the end of December. You can count on 3-6 feet of snow climbing up out of California park on the way to Steamboat lake. But the snowmobile roads could easily be packed in by Christmas, making for some relatively easy riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you would have to use a combination of skis, snowshoes and bike. Carrying the bike on your back while snowshoing would be necessary for some parts of the race. There would be some roads where there would be five to ten feet of unpacked snow. Snow shoes or wide backcountry skis would be the only useful method of travel.

I think that many of the roads would be packed down from snowmobiles but there would be a lot of places that would be unridable even on an iditabike type bike setup.

Seriously, you might need a setup like this. Except designed for legs

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
This has been on the back burner of thoughts since I started snow biking. I've been thinking of the Wy. section for awhile. I know for a fact that there is a CD maintained trail from Idaho side Grassy Lake Rd to South Pass city and beyond and if your riding snow through the Basin it would be a hell of a year for snow. I feel this would be a great route and some what dependaple trail w/ the info that is available (huge snowmobile support on these trails). The only thing you should have to change is your tire pressure. This route does not follow GD ACA maps exactly but you won't be the first one trail breaking either.
It's a project on my list.
Jay P

·
nathan bay
172 Posts
Wow

Are you joking? If you're talking about the whole GDR I say impossible. Commuting in Bozeman year round is challenging enough for me and its on the valley floor!! The ammount of calories simply to stay warm would be astronomical and the time between towns would be several days at times.
If you're talking about a Wyoming section exclusively I hope you applied for all the special hunting permits available. Take a wall tent and extra ammo, see you in the spring...maybe...Peace..NB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.