Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the greatdividerace.com site it now mentions a start date and location of Banff, Alberta, Canada on June 11th for the "Original Divide Race." Does anyone know if their will also be a later start from Roosville, Montana for the 2,490 mile Great Divide Race as in the past? I'm trying to plan ahead.
Also any thoughts on the most practical SS gearing for the route on a 29er?
Thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is very interesting. So are the two camps now shaking hands and merging races into one? Will there now be two races, each starting from the same location but separated by one day? The Tour Divide page says it starts on June 12. The Great Divide Race says it starts June 11.

The old criteria to choose which race was whether you wanted to start in Montana or Banff. I guess now you get to choose whether June 11 or June 12 fits your schedule better. ;)

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
JayKoski said:
Also any thoughts on the most practical SS gearing for the route on a 29er?
Thanks
There is plenty of data points out there, read up. Really it depends how strong you are and what your tolerance is for the extremes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
after getting all my plans in order to do the GDR from the mt start it all may be in vain? the extra costs and logistics in getting to banff will probably push me out of this. also waiting for the first rider to come by the border is not something i would be able to deal with if the start is 200 miles away. i hope they reconsider this?

·
Registered
152 Posts
niner29er said:
after getting all my plans in order to do the GDR from the mt start it all may be in vain? the extra costs and logistics in getting to banff will probably push me out of this. also waiting for the first rider to come by the border is not something i would be able to deal with if the start is 200 miles away. i hope they reconsider this?
Not to trivialize your planning, but getting to Banff is far cheaper and easier than getting to Eureka (this is coming from someone who has been to both starts). In addition to the ease and cheapness of travel, you'll be starting in a world-class town with more than one horse and the first 221 miles through Canada are stunning.

Getting to the start of the race is a challenge in itself, but do not fool yourself that Banff is a burden to you

Check out the travel resources at the Tour Divide website: http://tourdivide.org/travel_resources

·
Registered
16 Posts
having just been to the worlds in canmore this summer (still paying for it) i can say it would be easier with a usa start. no passport/shipping hassles. plus i had a bike shop lined up in mt to ship into along with transport from kalispell to roosville so it does throw a monkey wrench in my plans....but saying all that i will be at the start in banff.
later 1

·
Registered
466 Posts
niner29er said:
having just been to the worlds in canmore this summer (still paying for it) i can say it would be easier with a usa start. no passport/shipping hassles. plus i had a bike shop lined up in mt to ship into along with transport from kalispell to roosville so it does throw a monkey wrench in my plans....but saying all that i will be at the start in banff.
later 1
Perhaps if you found enough like minded people who wanted to start in the US you could petition the race organizers for a MT start. I also wouldn't start getting too far with travel plans until after more information comes out.

I have to think that in a sport that can separate out finisher lists for single speed and geared or between 12 and 24 hour races at the same venue that there could be some accomodation for both a long and a short course.

·
Registered
453 Posts
niner29er said:
later 1
Rock on, Ray!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would have thought the extra costs of getting to Banff are immaterial considering its for an epic 20-day, once in a life time, ride across one of the largest and most beautiful countries, sit around and tell your grand kids, year in training and sacrifice, brag to your buddies, spiritual journey, mountain bike race????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lutzy said:
I would have thought the extra costs of getting to Banff are immaterial considering its for an epic 20-day, once in a life time, ride across one of the largest and most beautiful countries, sit around and tell your grand kids, year in training and sacrifice, brag to your buddies, spiritual journey, mountain bike race????
lutzy you can donate all your extra $ to my paypal account anytime.. email for the info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
So, what's the difference in the Great Divide Race and the Tour Divide now?

Do one set of racers get gps locaters and the others don't?

I must admit that I enjoyed following the blue dots down the map for the Tour Divide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.