Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have no loyalty to this project, but I need a new commuter, and did back it based on the killer spec. My rattle can'd Iron Horse convert is getting pretty tired.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1892261315/rogue-c6-intelligent-lightweight-hybrid-urban-carb

Rogue_2-e1413490092442.jpg
c6.jpg

-Integrated LED light set, check
-Gates Carbon Drive, check.
-Integrated Shimano 8 sd Internal hub, check.
-Hydraulic disc brakes, check.
-Tubeless wheelset, check.
-Fenders included and rack ready, check, check..
-Available in Orange!
-5 year warranty.
-Integrated GPS Location Based Service
-Under a grand.
(Not spam, just psyched)

actual specs for the record:
specs.png

Attachments

·
since 4/10/2009
30,901 Posts
really nice spec for the price...but why bother with fenders at all? Also not a fan of integrated electronics How much cheaper would this bike be if it didn't have the crappy fenders and the unnecessary integrated electronic bits?

I am also not a fan of the dropout/disc mount combination. I had my time with a frame that had track ends and disc mount. Royal f'ing pain in my a$$ is what it was. You can NEVER get the damn system aligned properly so the pads don't hang off the rotor.

Knowing how sensitive belt drive bikes are to belt tension, I am curious what is being used to lock in the axle position to get the belt tension correct and consistent. I don't even see a chain tug of any sort.

I'd pass on it, unless I could be certain about the tensioning setup.

·
Registered
826 Posts
really nice spec for the price...but why bother with fenders at all? Also not a fan of integrated electronics How much cheaper would this bike be if it didn't have the crappy fenders and the unnecessary integrated electronic bits?

I am also not a fan of the dropout/disc mount combination. I had my time with a frame that had track ends and disc mount. Royal f'ing pain in my a$$ is what it was. You can NEVER get the damn system aligned properly so the pads don't hang off the rotor.

Knowing how sensitive belt drive bikes are to belt tension, I am curious what is being used to lock in the axle position to get the belt tension correct and consistent. I don't even see a chain tug of any sort.

I'd pass on it, unless I could be certain about the tensioning setup.
Good catch on the dropouts with the belt drive, I could see that being problematic but maybe they found a way to make it work.

Breezer seems to be using vertical dropouts, I think with an EBB.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just emailed the Project starter about the tensioning and alignment of the rear axle. I'll post his reply. He has two protos running daily now, so I'm hoping he's either worked it out or including tugs.

Days ago I asked him about the lights and fenders, as well as the microchip GPS thing.
He was pretty informative (neat back story on that guy) and essentially said the fenders are included as an accessory in the box (not pre installed or permanent) and can be swapped out for our favorite fenders if you wish. I run SKS race blades, so I'll compare when (if) the Project succeeds.
He stated the LED bar lights will be no less than 200 lumens, but he is working to upgrade to 500 for launch with no additional cost. I run a Magicshine on my helmet anyway, so the bar would be supplemental. Same with taillights for me, I usually run my Planet Bike, so the post mounted LEDs will supplement it. My philosophy is the brighter at night/mornings, the better.

I'll post back w/his dropout answer.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being bored at work right now...I did notice these on the C6.

tugs.jpg

·
Registered
406 Posts
the fenders look useless. I'd probably like the bike if it wasn't for those horrendous and useless fenders.
Worse than useless, maximum non-aero-ness, combined with water in your face and all over your crankset. Seriously, they're designed like drag 'chutes, who the hell thought of those fenders? Bonus stupidity points for only having one stay.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey man, you're killing their Ebay resale value! ;)

(totally agree; form over function, or a low cost after thought)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey man, you're killing their Ebay resale value! ;)

(totally agree; form over function, or a low cost after thought)
It looks to me like they were focused on making the fenders cool and different. I'd also hazard a guess that they haven't ridden in the rain with good fenders.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As for the fenders, the dude's based in Seattle, so they must work, right? ;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
As for the fenders, the dude's based in Seattle, so they must work, right? ;)
Is he working that angle?! I'm based in Seattle, commute year round (20 miles 3 days a week) and if someone gave me those fenders I'd put them in the trash (recycling actually).

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is he working that angle?! I'm based in Seattle, commute year round (20 miles 3 days a week) and if someone gave me those fenders I'd put them in the trash (recycling actually).

Nah, that was just my attempt at witty humor

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Out of curiosity, those complaining about the fenders, have you tried fenders like that or do you just know they don't work?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most bikes don't include them, so I'm glad he's throwing in a set. I prefer my Raceblades (when they don't rub) over the few others I've tried, but they do rub, so I plan to at least try the included pair with the C6 (assuming it reaches it's project goal).

Fenders are like saddles/pedals, everyone usually already has a favorite.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just emailed the Project starter about the tensioning and alignment of the rear axle. I'll post his reply. He has two protos running daily now, so I'm hoping he's either worked it out or including tugs.

I'll post back w/his dropout answer.

(The designers) Reply:

Brian, I use something similar to tugs, they are special lockout grooves that the bolts connect to on the dropout that lock before your tighten.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,901 Posts
Out of curiosity, those complaining about the fenders, have you tried fenders like that or do you just know they don't work?
These fenders do go lower in the back than many, which is a step in the right direction, but doesn't tell the whole story. On a full coverage rear fender, you WANT it to extend forward to the ST/BB junction to keep forward spray from being a problem. About all these fenders will do is prevent the stripe up your back. But they do NOTHING for forward spray.

Riding through puddles (not even active rain) with a front fender like that is a great way to get sprayed in the face when you have some speed.

OP, I was looking for one of those tensioner screws and didn't see it in the pics I was looking at. Good catch. That should address the belt tension issue, but it doesn't help with rotor/caliper alignment. I would prefer sliding or swinging drops, if tensioning is to be done at the hub, but an ebb would be a clean way to do it, too.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OP, I was looking for one of those tensioner screws and didn't see it in the pics I was looking at. Good catch. That should address the belt tension issue, but it doesn't help with rotor/caliper alignment. I would prefer sliding or swinging drops, if tensioning is to be done at the hub, but an ebb would be a clean way to do it, too.
Thanks! I was looking for a tensioning method in that area, and had to enlarge the pic to find it. In the meantime, he also got back to me with a reply to my tensioner question:

(The designers) Reply:
Brian, I use something similar to tugs, they are special lockout grooves that the bolts connect to on the dropout that lock before your tighten.

RE: rear caliper alignment: I haven't run a rear brake in years, so it's not a deal breaker for me. I understand a ton of people do though.

·
I'd rather be on my bike
2,749 Posts
I like it but at the same time hate it for some reason. The fenders are pretty much a joke it looks like. Run full fenders or run nothing, but not this half ass concoction that they came up with. Look cool but probably do not work that well as mentioned above. I like the idea of a carbon belt drive, but the dropouts have me so confused. Why would they do that? Even with a tug nut or tensioner, why? Kill off the integrated lights and GPS, along with those fenders, and you have something pretty nice for commuting. Overkill for me with the rear hub though but that is just based on my terrain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts