Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, excited about riding this morning.

This morning, get up at 0-dark-thirty, my stomach feels funny. I drink my coffee, then remember that my truck hasn't returned from the dealer and I'll need to drive my wife's Wrangler down to South Mountain.

Finally get the bike loaded inside the rig, grab all my stuff, stomach still feels funny. Take off at 0530 and it's 92 degrees. Once I hit Shea heading for the 101, I nearly turned around. Wish I had.

My idea was to ride Javelina, but park at 46st St. and go clockwise, so hit the Beverly stuff first and end down Javelina to my vehicle. Stomach doesn't feel so good.

10 seconds into the first climb, I drop my chain and nearly faceplant. And did I mention it's HOT? And that my stomach doesn't feel good?

I'm here, though, so I soldier on. I do eventually complete my planned loop without puking or dying. Get back to the Jeep, load the bike up and get all my gear stowed. And I leave my front wheel propped up against one of the 35-inch Jeep tires. As I drive away, of course, I run over it.

I'm too disheartened to see how bad it is (Mavic rim, custom spoked with Maverick front hub), but my sweet Hope brake rotor is definitely toast.

Would have been a great day to sleep in.
d

·
No Clue Crew
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To follow up on this, stripped the dead tube and tire off the wheel and removed the rotor. The rotor is definitely junk, but it appears the rim is still true. Kinda hard to believe, but it spins true when mounted on the fork. Guess I got lucky.

Oh, and a couple Kiltlifters eased my stomach too ;)
d

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,179 Posts
Blatant said:
To follow up on this, stripped the dead tube and tire off the wheel and removed the rotor. The rotor is definitely junk, but it appears the rim is still true. Kinda hard to believe, but it spins true when mounted on the fork. Guess I got lucky.

Oh, and a couple Kiltlifters eased my stomach too ;)
d
Sometimes things just work out. Glad all you need to replace is a rotor! I've lost entire bikes of the top of my vehicle on the freeway (twice, luckily no one but the bikes were injured) and by driving into the garage with bike still on top (once). Hasn't happened again in over 10 years so hopefully I learned my lesson. Those were hard lessons :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.