Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nearly 8 year old Burner has been feeling tired lately. Then last week I broke the flange on my rear hub and the looseness in the lower DW link meant I thought it's time was up. I'd only replaced the bushings last August and hadn't ridden much after that due to winter and COVID. But the slop from the inner faces on the linkage had given the bushings a very short life.

I asked via the website if there were any single piece linkages still sitting in a box somewhere and Dave was prompt to reply, we traded a couple of messages and I was able to buy the parts to swap out the entire lower linkage and bushings.

An hour of wrenching after work later today and I should have it all buttoned up again with the new pieces. I've a new hub shell coming from I9 after they did me a solid too which I'll re-lace this weekend and then the bike should be back on the trails again.

Grateful for the assistance as I didn't want to have to find the pennies for a whole new bike at the moment :thumbsup:

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Hmmm, wonder if there is a medium sultan frame laying around? Would love to build my Sultan back up but without the larger head tube for a modern fork it won’t happen.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,266 Posts
Not sure if you saw it, but DT replied on a FB post in the Turner Owners group about a medium Sultan was available.
Bought shock bolts, hangar and brake nut last week from Turner. Fast service.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm wondering too. Still riding a 2007 Sultan dinosaur about 3000 km a year mostly 4X4 and moderate single track. The frame has held up great for it's age and at my size 6'5", I don't mind the long CS or the 100 mm rear suspension for what I do, but would like a slacker geometry. Is it possible to simply modify the frame by cutting of the headtube and rewelding a larger size headtube with a slightly more modern geometry?

Saturday riding crew - me and the venerable Sultan on the right - enjoy!

bike carmelite.jpg

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Is it possible to simply modify the frame by cutting of the headtube and rewelding a larger size headtube with a slightly more modern geometry?
Theoretically possible, but practically not worth it given the cost and result. Sell the Turner to someone who will appreciate it for what it is (or keep it yourself) and but a more modern longer/slacker frame that will almost certainly be a better fit for your height.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts