Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to pass this story along about the great customer service I recieved from Gary Fisher and Paceline Bike out of Greensboro, NC.

I bought a 09 Cobia back in Sept. and took it in for a tune up back on Dec 8. It had something making a noise in the free wheel and they fixed for free with no questions asked. Then I got a phone call today and they said they noticed a possible frame issue at the seat tube and contacted Fisher and they had me a new Paragon frame waiting on me as long as I didnt mind the color change. I did not even know I had a frame issue so this problem was not even mentioned when i took the bike in for the tune-up. The bike shop took it upon themselves to address this problem with Fisher and they got me a new frame. I looked at the frame and it only seems to be a 1/4 inch hairline crack in the paint at the weld, but I will be glad to swap them out.

I know this doesnt excuse a cracked frame, but I was plesantly suprised that I recieved a new frame without even bringing it to their attention.

·
WNC Native
4,021 Posts
PizzaMan said:
Which weld ? Top tube / seat tube weld ?
I got a 2009 Rig and I thought this issue has been sorted out for 2009.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any frame change between 08 & 09 frames. It's just different paint. Anyway, if you got it new, your covered with the warranty if it does crack. I'm soo worried about it that I just placed a deposit on a new 08 Xcal and just purchased a new in the box 08 Rig frame to build up. Just ride it and check it ever so often.

·
Registered
663 Posts
nitrousjunky said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any frame change between 08 & 09 frames. It's just different paint. Anyway, if you got it new, your covered with the warranty if it does crack. I'm soo worried about it that I just placed a deposit on a new 08 Xcal and just purchased a new in the box 08 Rig frame to build up. Just ride it and check it ever so often.
I asked right here on this board a while ago , and someone posted a reply that the area has been addressed and is supposed to be stronger now. I got no idea if that's true, I guess only time will tell.
I'm sure if anything happens I will be taken good care of but hopefully this issue has been addressed and I won't be needing no warranty although I got my bike new and I'm covered.

·
Registered
312 Posts
this is good to hear, I just found a crack on my 08 rig where the drive side chainstay meets the BB shell, right after the weld. Im hoping that i can get a ferrous frame on warranty and make up whatever difference there is..if any.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.