Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone suggest some trail bikes that excel or don't lose performance in climbs? I think the main variables would be:
-head angle/seat angle
-weight
-suspension bob
-stem length

Seems like the new geometry/setup in trail bikes would really affect climbing

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
If you're more concerned about climbing...then look into trail bikes that lean more towards the "XC" side. Like the Camber, Trek Fuel EX, or even an Evil Following. Bikes with a head tube angles in between 67 and 68 degrees.

I've got a straight XC bike. Its a carbon 29r hardtail. No trail bike with a slack-ass HTA will climb like it. I also have a Banshee Spitfire with a 66 deg HTA...and compared to my XC bike...it climbs slow and clumsy.

In the end...if you're a strong climber...it really doesn't matter what type of bike you ride.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
You need an Enduro bike.
They climb like XC bikes but descend like downhill bikes.
They are all better than each other.

Source: Pinkbike.com
LOL... but partially true. Real answer is find what is sold near you and go demo. PERIOD. That is the only TRUE way you (YES YOU) are going to find the best climbing bike FOR YOU.

I have ridden a couple different "trail" bikes and still find my FSR based Thumper to be one of the best climbing trail bikes I have ridden. Compared to Scott Spark, Scott Genius, Scott Genius LT, Giant Anthem X, Giant Trance.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Anything with a DW link. Just my two cent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Too bad you couldnt pick one up when pricepoint was going under but the Breezer Repack is probably what you are looking for. Its my go to all around bike in my arsenal.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I'll let you read the entire review yourself : First Ride: Tantrum Cycles Missing Link Suspension - Pinkbike

Here is the final thoughts on it from the review

Brian Berthold's Missing Link delivers the goods - direct drive pedaling with supple suspension action - and it does so without electronics, remote levers or voodoo shock damping. Compared to the current crop of carbon superbikes, the Tantrum Meltdown looks rough around the edges, but it performs well on the downs - essential for any 160-millimeter trail bike - and its pedaling action is better than all of them.

Bold statement? I've ridden many trail bikes that were supposed to, '...pedal like a cross-country bike and descend like a DH bike.' (I've written that phrase more times than I should have) Only two have actually performed that ballet: the Meltdown with its Missing Link, and a Kona Process outfitted with Fox's prototype Live Valve electronic suspension. Neither are perfect, but both set the bar well above today's crowded pack of carbon uberbikes."

Best part, Brian has said that the kickstarter orders are coming with a 100% money back guarantee he's so sure of the bike.
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...issing-link-in-full-suspension?ref=nav_search

·
@2whlfun
542 Posts
Do you have a wheel size/tire width preference? If your trails are smooth it would steer you toward a lighter, less travel/firmer & skinnier tire type bike.

Are the climbs loose rock/rooty? That would potentially require more active travel with wider tires & less pressure for traction.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I climbed 140,000 vertical feet this season on a 36 pound bike with a 65 degree head angle and 180mm of travel at both ends. I enjoyed every minute of it. And what's more, I REALLY enjoyed coming back down.

·
Registered
376 Posts
mix john...thank you for changing my life. I just ordered my High Fashion Red bike.

I have a feeling my life is about to go from black and white to 4K HD. Maybe 8K HHDD.

Namaste.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts