Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went ahead and got myself a Dualco gun and 4 inch extension needle so I can start lubing the pivots. Problem is; when I inject the grease into the fittings it just pushes right back out. No grease is getting to the axle. Any tips on remedying this? Should I loosen up the pivots prior to injecting the grease?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. Only on one of the pivots would I feel a good pressure on the grease gun handle and get grease to squeeze out at the bushings. The other two pivots did exactly as you described, the grease would just push back out around the grease gun needle. This may be obvious, but I am assuming you have removed the small grub screw from each of the pivots.


Anyway, To fix it I took a drill bit the same diameter as the grease gun nipple and ground it down to be the same profile/angle as the grease gun tip. I then removed all the pivot axles and using a clamp block I set each pivot up in my drill press and drilled out a little of the inside threads (were the grub screw/zerk would be). I only removed a tiny bit of material, maybe one course of the thread, but it was enough that I now get a really positive seal with the grease gun and the bushing purge quite nicely.

Cheers,
Chrsi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
bigwookie said:
I had the same problem with mine. Only on one of the pivots would I feel a good pressure on the grease gun handle and get grease to squeeze out at the bushings. The other two pivots did exactly as you described, the grease would just push back out around the grease gun needle. This may be obvious, but I am assuming you have removed the small grub screw from each of the pivots.

Anyway, To fix it I took a drill bit the same diameter as the grease gun nipple and ground it down to be the same profile/angle as the grease gun tip. I then removed all the pivot axles and using a clamp block I set each pivot up in my drill press and drilled out a little of the inside threads (were the grub screw/zerk would be). I only removed a tiny bit of material, maybe one course of the thread, but it was enough that I now get a really positive seal with the grease gun and the bushing purge quite nicely.

Cheers,
Chrsi
jsut wanted to make sure I understand this correctly... you ground down the threaded part of the grease port in your pivots, correct?

So by only grinding down one threads-worth, you are still able to get the screw back in to seal up the port, but it is also a little wider so that your grease-gun nipple fits in. Did you try to grind/sand down the grease-gun nipple instead? I would rather screw up a nipple on the grease gun than the threads of a part onthe actual bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,313 Posts
A simple solution that normally owrks is to try and et some thing rubber tubing that you can slide over the end of the grease gun needle. This will help create a good seal; enough to purge out old grease.

If old grease has been in there too long, then it may kind of dry out and become hard, in which case it will not purge, so make sure that pivots are clean and regreased, then grease them regularly to stop solid buildup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
-bb- said:
jsut wanted to make sure I understand this correctly... you ground down the threaded part of the grease port in your pivots, correct?

So by only grinding down one threads-worth, you are still able to get the screw back in to seal up the port, but it is also a little wider so that your grease-gun nipple fits in. Did you try to grind/sand down the grease-gun nipple instead? I would rather screw up a nipple on the grease gun than the threads of a part onthe actual bike.
I really only touched the threads with the drill bit, I barely removed any material. But it was enough to get a much better seal. I am pretty confident in my "half-a$$ed" fixes so I wasn't too worried.:D Besides, even if I had drilled out too much for the Zerk to go back in I still had the exterior cover cap. And it was December, so I had some time to get a replacement if I really f'ed it up. I will try and post up a sketch or something tomorrow.

I tried keiths method, but I didn't have a rubber tubing the right size, so I tried other rubber options, innertube, orings, etc. But no luck. In the end it was easier to grind the bit than drive all the way into town to try and find something that would work.

Anyway, its been working great, so no regrets.:thumbsup:
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top