Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I have a 5010 and I am looking at getting grease for the headset, BB, etc. I was going to order ASC-1 for the threaded areas as well. I am looking for what recommendations you all have on what grease to get that won't stain my frame.

I was looking at PPL1 or HPG1, Phil's Waterproof Grease, or crystal white lightning grease. Any recommendations and help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can I use that same grease for when i service my suspension bearings?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've never heard of grease being carbon fibre safe. For what it's worth, nothing applied to your bike would ever even touch the actual carbon fibre, it's covered by thermoset resin, usually some flavour of epoxy.

Overthinking the issue I'd say.
I have some kind of white lithium grease.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,056 Posts
Why are you greasing carbon-fiber?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been using Park HPG-1 for pretty much everything on my Epic Evo as well as my carbon road bikes. Headset, crown race, BB, crank, suspension bearings, bolts, freehubs, pawls, seatpost, pedals, etc. Works fine for pretty much anything that doesn't call for loctite or antiseize.

·
Single Track Mind
1,052 Posts
I like to use a heavy marine grease on my pivots and will also use the same grease on my headset bearings; though, I prefer a lighter slicker grease for my bottom bracket. There is no such thing as a carbon safe grease because all grease is safe on carbon fiber. It's not like it's a solvent or anything. If you don't want to stain the frame, don't carelessly apply. A thin layer around the cup is all you need. Some people in wetter areas like to apply a layer to the crown race as well. Too much grease is more damaging than none at all when it's not inside a bearing because it attracts dust and dirt. Even overpacking a bearing will cause problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.