Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XT shifter wasn't letting cable out. So I opened it up and flooded the entire inner unit with white lightening. It worked well that day, but on the ride today (4 days later), it was hesitating to let cable out. So I figured the white ligghtening had worn off. What sort of grease should I put in the shifters?? Or should I just warranty the unit??

THanks

Ming

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
degrease and regrease

macming said:
My XT shifter wasn't letting cable out. So I opened it up and flooded the entire inner unit with white lightening. It worked well that day, but on the ride today (4 days later), it was hesitating to let cable out. So I figured the white ligghtening had worn off. What sort of grease should I put in the shifters?? Or should I just warranty the unit??

THanks

Ming
Maybe try to get it warrantied - i dunno cause I never tried that for gummed up shim. levers... The primary culprit for STI shifters is the transluscent green grease shimano uses turns to transuscent green glue.

Flood the shifter with degreaser, let it dry overnight, then dribble a few drops of phil wood or finishline cross country (or any thick oil) into it.

I recently had a really old pair of STI road levers try to fool me into thinking they were dead, but a little degreaser action (I actually had to dissassemble them) and they are perfect.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
macming said:

THanks

Ming
Degrease using a non-chlorinated alcohol based brake/parts cleaner. Then use Superlube synthetic spray grease. It comes in a spray can, is alcohol based, you spray the grease into tight spaces and the alcohol evaportes leaving the grease behind. You do it correctly with this grease and you may never have to do it again. This grease will also allow your shifters to keep working down to -40 degrees celcius.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.