Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm thinking of doing an upgrade for my RFX. The main candidates are either a nice coil rear shock or a gravity dropper. No chance I'll get the OK from wife to do both now, so I have to decide.

Options are:
- Gravity dropper
- Avalanche Chubbie 7.875x2.25
- Avalanche Chubbie 7.5x2.25 (FM style)
- Cane Creek CCDB

Ride is AM, which for me means doing both aerobic rides with lots of climbing and enjoying it, combined with technical singletrack in rocky loose terrain, usually slow and vertical, not flying downhill, and enjoying it aw well. No huge stuff. So far I seem to enjoy drops up to around 3' to flat and a little more to tranny, but not much more.
Currently riding an RP23 in the rear and a Talas36 up front, and actually really enjoying both (but I don;t know what I am missing ;)).
The aim is simply to make the ride even more fun for the current riding envelope.

...What would you do if you were me?... (Thanks for any thoughts!!)

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
tald said:
(Thanks for any thoughts!!)
Another option: PUSH the RP23 and get the Gravitydropper.

That would probably cost less than purchasing either an Avy or CCDB. I bet the RP23 would feel like a whole new shock, too. That's what I would do if I were you. ;)

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
PCinSC said:
Another option: PUSH the RP23 and get the Gravitydropper.

That would probably cost less than purchasing either an Avy or CCDB. I bet the RP23 would feel like a whole new shock, too. That's what I would do if I were you. ;)
or a dhx coil and gd

·
Suck My Wake
55 Posts
I second the gettting your RP23 Push'd AND the GD

I have the same front and rear suspension components as you and a GD. I find it hard to believe that I got along for years w/o the GD---to me, this is the best bet for your money. I also agree w/ the PUSH logic for your RP23. I sent mine in about 4 months ago and the Push'd RP23 is indeed the heat. You can get the post and the Push treatment for half of what a CCDB costs!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
tald said:
Hey all,
I'm thinking of doing an upgrade for my RFX. The main candidates are either a nice coil rear shock or a gravity dropper. No chance I'll get the OK from wife to do both now, so I have to decide.

Options are:
- Gravity dropper
- Avalanche Chubbie 7.875x2.25
- Avalanche Chubbie 7.5x2.25 (FM style)
- Cane Creek CCDB

Ride is AM, which for me means doing both aerobic rides with lots of climbing and enjoying it, combined with technical singletrack in rocky loose terrain, usually slow and vertical, not flying downhill, and enjoying it aw well. No huge stuff. So far I seem to enjoy drops up to around 3' to flat and a little more to tranny, but not much more.
Currently riding an RP23 in the rear and a Talas36 up front, and actually really enjoying both (but I don;t know what I am missing ;)).
The aim is simply to make the ride even more fun for the current riding envelope.

...What would you do if you were me?... (Thanks for any thoughts!!)
Dropper now ,avy later.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
yep. get the post. for the level yer ridin at now, itll be much more useful and fun to have. just the jollys yer lookin for. once ya start to push that envelope, theres gonna be a new shock of the month anyway. if ya can swing it, the push job would be nice too and both will still come way under the cost of a bling shock and leave some beer money too. you win, the wife wins, the liquer store guy keeps ya on his krismiss card list.... what could be better?

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
cactuscorn said:
yep. get the post. for the level yer ridin at now, itll be much more useful and fun to have. just the jollys yer lookin for. once ya start to push that envelope, theres gonna be a new shock of the month anyway. if ya can swing it, the push job would be nice too and both will still come way under the cost of a bling shock and leave some beer money too. you win, the wife wins, the liquer store guy keeps ya on his krismiss card list.... what could be better?
zen

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
I'd get the GD, and look at a Van R

The boys at Push really like the Van R.

Purchasing one and having it Pushed is cheaper than buying a DHX. I found a nearly new one on Ebay for $90.

I know I'm loving mine:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with S-Works.

I have a DHX-c and GD. I know Push would set up the Van-R the right way for you. I just swapped out the RP23 for the DHX-c and now I want to send it in to Push. I had the RP23 Pushed, it was great. However, if you like coil shocks, and I do, then even a Pushed RP23 won't cut it.

The GD is a no-brainer. It doesn't have to be GD, AMP makes a good product too. I have the turbo with 1" & 4" drops. I could give up the coil shock if I had to, but the GD, not a chance!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,581 Posts
I would, and did choose an avalanche shock instead of a gravity-crutch.

Thing is, I usually end up waiting at the top of hills for the gravity-dropper riders. What's the point if I'm waiting up there? It takes me 3 seconds to set my seatpost with the QR, and it costs 0.00000000000000001% of the gravity dropper. Last weekend we had no less than 4 6 packs on a ride, 3 gravity-equipped I believe, as well as at least one other bike with a gravity-crutch, but I don't see the point. We climbed for a while, got to the top of a big mountain, everyone was a little dusted, set our seat heights, and then took off down the mountain. I'm not into adjusting my bike for every 50 foot descent, and riding my 6-pack on the kind of ride that would make a gravity-dropper make sense is a dumb idea IMO, because it means I'm constantly going short ups and downs. Guess what, it's a pain in the ass to ride a 36lb bike constantly up and down like an XC bike, and I don't want it to be like an XC bike. The gravity dropper might help, but it's still bringing a bazooka to a knife-fight, and it's a pain to lug that thing around everywhere. I do just fine on my pack, but I'd rather ride big rides that have serious downhills and uphills, not 30 second glory-fests followed by a climb. That may be the way some of the riding is in certain parts of the country, but not here and it's not the stuff that I like to ride. I don't need a gravity-dropper to do a 2hr climb, it doesn't help. I think a bike like 6 pack or similer bike built up to truely handle everything is not going to be a super-light bike, it's not going to be a great bike for a lot of small-up and small-down riding. Get a 5-spot or one of those super-light build RFXs, there it may have some purpose.

In any case, even riding my 6-pack everywhere, I usually end up waiting for people with gravity-crutches (and they're usually tired at the top). I guess I could be an a$$ and lower my seat before they get there and then TAKE OFF when they arrive (because with a gravity dropper they don't have to stop!). If I'm waiting for gravity-crutchers, I can adjust my QR easily while I wait. I'm not saying that the gravity-crutch adds an unreasonable amount of weight, just that people may be bringing way too big of a bike for a ride and if they gotta rest for a few min at the top of a crazy climb, it doesn't make sense.

The avalanche on the other hand...it's got balls.

·
Banned
218 Posts
Jayem said:
I would, and did choose an avalanche shock instead of a gravity-crutch.

Thing is, I usually end up waiting at the top of hills for the gravity-dropper riders. What's the point if I'm waiting up there? It takes me 3 seconds to set my seatpost with the QR, and it costs 0.00000000000000001% of the gravity dropper. Last weekend we had no less than 4 6 packs on a ride, 3 gravity-equipped I believe, as well as at least one other bike with a gravity-crutch, but I don't see the point. We climbed for a while, got to the top of a big mountain, everyone was a little dusted, set our seat heights, and then took off down the mountain. I'm not into adjusting my bike for every 50 foot descent, and riding my 6-pack on the kind of ride that would make a gravity-dropper make sense is a dumb idea IMO, because it means I'm constantly going short ups and downs. Guess what, it's a pain in the ass to ride a 36lb bike constantly up and down like an XC bike, and I don't want it to be like an XC bike. The gravity dropper might help, but it's still bringing a bazooka to a knife-fight, and it's a pain to lug that thing around everywhere. I do just fine on my pack, but I'd rather ride big rides that have serious downhills and uphills, not 30 second glory-fests followed by a climb. That may be the way some of the riding is in certain parts of the country, but not here and it's not the stuff that I like to ride. I don't need a gravity-dropper to do a 2hr climb, it doesn't help. I think a bike like 6 pack or similer bike built up to truely handle everything is not going to be a super-light bike, it's not going to be a great bike for a lot of small-up and small-down riding. Get a 5-spot or one of those super-light build RFXs, there it may have some purpose.

In any case, even riding my 6-pack everywhere, I usually end up waiting for people with gravity-crutches (and they're usually tired at the top). I guess I could be an a$$ and lower my seat before they get there and then TAKE OFF when they arrive (because with a gravity dropper they don't have to stop!). If I'm waiting for gravity-crutchers, I can adjust my QR easily while I wait. I'm not saying that the gravity-crutch adds an unreasonable amount of weight, just that people may be bringing way too big of a bike for a ride and if they gotta rest for a few min at the top of a crazy climb, it doesn't make sense.

The avalanche on the other hand...it's got balls.
Now THAT'S the kind of idle chest thumping that makes MTBR so fun to read.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.