Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Front Suspension Gravity BaseCamp 3.0

The bike seems very loaded for 800. I may just pull the trigger on this guy.

Frame Oversized, Custom Formed TIG Welded 6061 Aluminum Front Triangle with Hydroformed tubes. Rear Triangle with replaceable rear derailleur hanger
Suspension Fork ROCK SHOX REBA RL DUAL AIR W/LOCKOUT, TRAVEL 100MM
Rear Suspension N/A
Crankset FSA COMET MEGAEXO 24/32/42T (170MM(15")/175MM(17"~23")
Bottom Bracket FSA BB7000
Pedals Beartrap MTB with metal cage
Front Derailleur SRAM X9
Rear Derailleur SRAM X9
Shifters SRAM X9
Cassette/Freewheel SRAM PG-1030 11-36T
Chain KMC X-10
Hubs Formula Forged Aluminum Disc w/Q.R. and debris sealed ball bearings
Spokes Stainless Steel
Rims WTB SpeedDisc 26"x32H DOUBLE WALL, Black finish
Tires WTB Velociraptor 26x2.1 inch
Brakes NOTE: Now with Tektro Hydraulic Disc Brakes / 180MM DISC BRAKE Rotor
Brake Levers NOTE: Now with Tektro Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Headset Cane Creek VP-A71 BLACK Threadless 1.125 inch, contact sealed ball bearing
Handlebar 20° rise Aluminum
Stem Comp Aluminum Threadless for 1.125 inch
Tape/Grip Kraton Black dual compound
Saddle WTB Speed V Sport SE with LoveChannel
Seat Post Aluminum alloy MicroAdjust, 27.2mm
Seat Clamp Alloy Q.R.
Sizes Sizing Chart
(approx. sizing - please check against bikes you have ridden to make your final choice)
Colors MatteSilver (as shown)

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
A good price for that component group for sure, however with those BD bikes I am always cautious of the integrity of the frame. And the small parts (stem, bars, seatpost etc) usually are bottom end and weigh a ton. If I had a frame that I wanted to build up, that bike is definitely worth it just for the fork, components and wheelset. Just my .02

·
I like turtles
6,374 Posts
That is a screaming deal, the components alone are worth more than the bike is being sold for. As 'squatch said, the cockpit stuff is probably junk. The wheels are heavy. As always, I will chime in that yes, this is a great deal, but, a bike is more than just the individual components. You need to factor in a reasonable build cost at a shop (~$75) as well as shipping back if it doesn't fit (~$100). You are starting to approach ~$1000 for the bike if you want to compare it to a similarly priced bike in a shop that you can see/touch/try etc. For example, a bike to compare this to in a shop would be a Trek 4900 that is ~$1000. The frames are made by Kinesis which makes quality frames; certainly comparable to what you get in a shop from the big names for that price. Not sure how Tektro hydros compare to other brands at this price point. One other item...I think the price of the 26" bikes like this are dropping faster than a lead balloon as 29ers are gaining popularity. Great for someone who wants a 26er!

Reactions: pfox90

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
It's mostly a great deal. The frame is generic but generally sturdy (made by Kinesis or Ideal). And they do "hide" cheap parts in areas such as the hubs, headset, stem, seatpost, hbars, etc. And of course it comes with basically no service contract.

But if your self sufficient, don't mind the heavier no name parts, and plan on servicing it yourself (hubs and headset will require more frequent servicing since they are not cartridge bearing) then it is a good deal.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Hell, buy one of those eBay Chinese Carbon frames that everyone is talking about (apparently they are nice??), get this bike, and grab some cheap upgraded parts (seatpost, stem, bars etc) and you'd have a very nice carbon hardtail for around $1K.

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
All good info coming from these dudes. SS I used to be in the market for one of those eBay frames.. they get great reviews. Is a screaming deal but if you have fit complications you might be better off in the end going to a bike shop.

·
I like turtles
6,374 Posts
Because they roll like a monster truck!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Id get it, GREAT beginner bike.

The hardest thing will be to resist upgrading anything. Personally, id resist upgrading anything unless it breaks and in the event upgraditis hit me, id only do a complete wheelset so I could swap the old wheels back on when it came time to sell it.

As for wanting a 29er, its all personal choice.

·
I like turtles
6,374 Posts
... which leads to poor mountain biking skills. Why learn skills, when I can just blindly ride over everything? Picking a line? That's for pansies! :smilewinkgrin:
Oh sorry, I meant to say that all noobs need to ride rigid 26ers with top mounts, 7 speed, and cantis (b/c disc brakes and suspension are for pansies).

·
Registered
53 Posts
As juicy as it seems...I want a 29er deep down. Not sure why other than all the cool kids are doing it.
29er are good but there is nothing wrong with a 26 MTB. It all comes down to personal choice and confort. Have you had the chance to ride and compare a 26 to 29? 29er can roll over a lot of rough terrain easier but the 26 is a bit lighter and more nimble for cornering or technical. It all depends on your riding style but the Gravity HTX9R is a great deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last Wednesday I was lucky enough to buy the last 17" HTX9 in stock. I'm new-ish to mountain biking (this will be my first hardtail), but after it gets here on Tuesday and I put some time on it I'll let you know what I think of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts