Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
Joined
·
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a Gravity Dropper for quite a while but it seems like a lot of them have been breaking lately. Now that the Maverick Speedball has a handlebar switch the choice is not so clear. I'm a bit huskier than most of you and the Speedball 30.9 diameter sounds better for me. I measured how far I drop my seat and at barely 3", it is a lot less than I thought. So is the 4" Gravity Dropper wasted on me anyway?

Somebody told me that Francois has the new Speedball. If so could he please post his opinion? Thanks.
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,730 Posts
Wherewolf said:
I've been wanting a Gravity Dropper for quite a while but it seems like a lot of them have been breaking lately. Now that the Maverick Speedball has a handlebar switch the choice is not so clear. I'm a bit huskier than most of you and the Speedball 30.9 diameter sounds better for me. I measured how far I drop my seat and at barely 3", it is a lot less than I thought. So is the 4" Gravity Dropper wasted on me anyway?

Somebody told me that Francois has the new Speedball. If so could he please post his opinion? Thanks.
Mountain Bike Action has a whole article on the Speedball vs the GD. I've had a GD for over a year, and I love it. I got a 3" thinking that it would not be enough, but followed the advice from the fine folks at GD. Turns out that they were right, and 3" is all you need to feel more comfortable going down the steep stuff. The Speedball looks pretty sweet.
 

·
flow where ever you go
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
Speedball is great.

Make sure you know that it is a setback design and only the two larger seatpost diameters are available.

On the old Speedball: Maverick hopes to start shipping add-on remotes in March (via email inquiry).
 

·
err, 27.5+
Joined
·
4,928 Posts
There is quite a bit of information and bickering on the several height adjust seatposts. Personally I run a dropper, but have demo run both the AMP and the Maverick. I like the mechanical locking feature. Barring catastrophic failure the post will always be able to get you home at full height. I do think that the failures that I have seen and heard of with the gd have predominantly been by users who are riding aggressive terrain with large-ish jumps and obstacles. At about 240lb geared up I have not had a problem with any of the 3 gd posts I have owned. I do hit jumps and drops, but not on every ride.

With your riding style in mind I don't think either post would be a bad move. Weight is comparable. The mav remote does have the cable loop to worry about, but otherwise looks nice. I would probably give one a try if it wasn't for my 27.2 seat post diameter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
My take on this subject.

I own 2 gravity droppers and have been using them for well over a year. They are without a doubt the best addition to a bike that I have ever tried. It's gotten to the point where I don't like riding a bike without one.

Most of the nay-sayers are people that don't own them. I know quite a few people that own them and everyone thinks that they're great. I haeard the same debates when disk brakes came out. People were saying that they weren't needed... were a crutch, etc.

The GD is a major step forward. Having on the fly adjustment to preset heights (I have the 1", 3" and 1", 4" drop models) is great once you try it. I don't know why someone mentioned play in the post since there is virtually none. What tiny amount there is is totally un-noticable when riding. Maybe they had an old or defective post.

There have been breakages of the GD, but the post has been beefed-up since and I haven't heard of breakages. The GD customer service is EXCELLENT. They stand behind their product. THe pictures that Fo and Aqua posted are old and aren't even theirs.

I could post pictures of broken Turner bikes, broken Specialized bikes.. broken (insert any manufacturer here). Does it mean that you shouldn't buy a bike? They all break.

I haven't tried a Speedball, mostly since it won't fit my frames (27.2 post) It looks like a good design. It had problems early on with leaking seals, but I think they fixed that. The only 2 disadvantages that I can see to the SB are no preset drop distances. I prefer to have repeatable distances.(some see the "infinite" adjustment as an advantage) and that length of cable dangling out there.

Either way, the idea of an on-the-fly adjustable post is great. You will wonder why you waited this long once you try one.:thumbsup:
 

·
aka dan51
Joined
·
6,022 Posts
It would be nice if GD made a post that did both 2 and 4 inch drops. 2 is about perfect for me, but 4 would be nice for the extra steep stuff. I have the 4 inch model now and am just starting to get the hang of it. Yesterday I went to lower the seat and hit the shifter instead.:rolleyes:

dscot420 said:
.... I do think that the failures that I have seen and heard of with the gd have predominantly been by users who are riding aggressive terrain with large-ish jumps and obstacles. At about 240lb geared up I have not had a problem with any of the 3 gd posts I have owned. I do hit jumps and drops, but not on every ride.
....
Of all the ppl I know that have broken theirs, none of them are aggressive riders. In fact they all broke while riding uphill or on flat ground. I think you'd be less likely to break a GD if you ride aggressively, since it will be down and out of the way. I was riding with one of the previous poster when his broke. Since it broke fully extended, he was able to just push the post in and do the rest of the ride with the seat lowered.

-Dan
 

·
Feeling a little taller
Joined
·
6,705 Posts
dan51 said:
It would be nice if GD made a post that did both 2 and 4 inch drops. 2 is about perfect for me, but 4 would be nice for the extra steep stuff. I have the 4 inch model now and am just starting to get the hang of it. Yesterday I went to lower the seat and hit the shifter instead.:rolleyes:

Of all the ppl I know that have broken theirs, none of them are aggressive riders. In fact they all broke while riding uphill or on flat ground. I think you'd be less likely to break a GD if you ride aggressively, since it will be down and out of the way. I was riding with one of the previous poster when his broke. Since it broke fully extended, he was able to just push the post in and do the rest of the ride with the seat lowered.

-Dan
Although the GD only comes in the preset numbers, it is possible to buy the single 4" drop and drill a blind hole to DIY a custom stopping point. derelict may be able to give more details on that. Basically, the pin just needs a blind hole to drop into and you can make as many of them as you want.

The breakage may be why you might not want to drill unless you know what you are doing and have the right tools.
 

·
Paper or plastic?
Joined
·
10,730 Posts
noshortcuts said:
Speedball is great.

Make sure you know that it is a setback design and only the two larger seatpost diameters are available.

On the old Speedball: Maverick hopes to start shipping add-on remotes in March (via email inquiry).
Actually, Steve might not have a choice after all. I believe that the Stumpjumpers come with setback seatposts, and since only the Speedball comes in a setback configuration, that should simplify the choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Dan'ger said:
Although the GD only comes in the preset numbers, it is possible to buy the single 4" drop and drill a blind hole to DIY a custom stopping point. derelict may be able to give more details on that. Basically, the pin just needs a blind hole to drop into and you can make as many of them as you want.

The breakage may be why you might not want to drill unless you know what you are doing and have the right tools.
Wayne at GD will custom-drill you stops at just about any drop you want between 1 and 4 inches. He said that a home-driller could not produce the tolerances that his factory can, so he definitely does not recommend a do-it-yourself approach.

My GD has a 2" drop. Even though my inseam is 35" and my shoe size is a 14 (meaning my seat is up pretty high), I find that 2" is perfect for my riding. If my legs were 2" shorter, I might not need a GD at all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
dan51 said:
I was riding with one of the previous poster when his broke. Since it broke fully extended, he was able to just push the post in and do the rest of the ride with the seat lowered.

-Dan
That would be me :D

edit: btw.... You should give Wayne at GD a call. You can probably buy a new insert set at 2" and 4". I know Wayne does customs. The price is very reasonable, btw. (remember...get the rearward facing ones)
 

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
I think either would be a fine choice, and that it would come down to your seatpost size and whether you want a setback post. People I've talked with about the speedball have liked it.

I've got a gravity dropper and love it. I love it so much that when I broke my post (at a weight below 200 lbs and I don't do drops and jumps) my thought was, "How quickly can I get this fixed and back on my bike," instead of, "Maybe I should put a different post on my bike."

Service at GD is fabulous. They replaced the broken parts, rebuilt the post and replaced some small unbroken parts, and mailed my post back to me for free even though it was well out of warranty.

They also said that since I bought mine they'd been using a new and stronger part so it shouldn't break again.
 

·
another bozo on the bus
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Dan'ger said:
Although the GD only comes in the preset numbers, it is possible to buy the single 4" drop and drill a blind hole to DIY a custom stopping point. derelict may be able to give more details on that. Basically, the pin just needs a blind hole to drop into and you can make as many of them as you want.

The breakage may be why you might not want to drill unless you know what you are doing and have the right tools.
If you deal with GD directly, they do offer "custom" lengths and drop to suit your needs, but I love the fact the maverick is fully adjustable and you dont have to load the seat to get it back up( it wont raise if you are out of the saddle). If the large diameter fits your bike, I say go with maverick. They also have good customer service at maverick if it does happen to fail.

You also may want to look in the AM forum where this topic has been beaten to death.
 

·
mtbr dismember
Joined
·
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No doubts

Blue Shorts said:
...the idea of an on-the-fly adjustable post is great. You will wonder why you waited this long once you try one.
I have no doubt I'll be thrilled with one of these once I pull the trigger. With my bad knees even a seat 1 mm too low bothers them on the flats or uphills. So I have pretty much stopped dropping my seat unless it is for extended downhills. However, that means I have been caught too many times recently with it too high for scattered drops. That has caused either an endo, near endo, or more often not doing them at all. It sure disrupts the flow. E.g. I did not do the big section on Red Rock Ridge at Ord on Saturday.

At $250 I just want to make sure I get what I need. If it breaks on the trail I can not pedal much standing up, and walking on trails is very difficult for me. So I'd be screwed.

I'm leaning to the Speedball right now since I have a 30.9 seatpost diameter. I'm just curious about that cable when the seat is lowered.

Edit: yes, no doubt some of my problem is lack of skills. But I'm old and don't learn very quickly any more :D
 

·
mtbr dismember
Joined
·
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Both seatposts

zorg said:
Actually, Steve might not have a choice after all. I believe that the Stumpjumpers come with setback seatposts, and since only the Speedball comes in a setback configuration, that should simplify the choice.
I have two SJ'ers. One came with setback and one straight. I prefer the straight.
What is the consensus on the amount of drop: 3", 4" or 1" and 4"?
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,399 Posts
I recently broke mine, and like Plim, my immediate action was to contact GD and send it off to them as I had no intention of changing; mine broke in the extended position landing a small jump fwiw. I have a 1" & 3" drop model, and they upgraded it to the newer strengthened inner post which should be more breakage resistant. We've had experience with both the speedball (with and without handlebar lever) and the gravity dropper (including the turbo, although personally I haven't tried the turbo yet); personally I like the mechanical aspects rather than the office chair aspect (having had so many office chair mechanisms fail in time during my stints behind a desk). We like them both, both have some issues above and beyond a normal seatpost, but the payoff is worth it; you can't go wrong either way imo.
 
1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top