Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions, pros and cons.
Which do you ride and which would you stay away from.

Thanks,
Kat:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Specialized Command Post.
Greatest mtb gadget of the last ten years (adjustable seatposts in general).
If I had to choose between dropper seatpost and rear suspension, I would choose the seatpost.

Pros-makes you insanely more confident on the DH.
Cons-expensive.

Unless you ride strictly XC or strictly DH, you should get one.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
Love my GD....never had a single problem (well...i did crack the housing on the remote lever crashing).

but i've known a few people who have broken theirs multiple times....

·
OriginalDonk
469 Posts
Crank Brother Joplin 4 is a Good Option

I've been really pleased with my Crank Brother Joplin 4 and really like how it'll stay at all points in the 4 inch range that it can travel so it's not all or nothing. I'd recommend the remote drop lever that you can mount right next to your shifter but you can save some cash and get a seat based mechanism. Definitely elevated my descending game while maintaining the most efficient pedaling position. Definitely not a gimmick and will change the attitude of your trail bike for the better.

·
aka dan51
6,019 Posts
Read all 1000+ posts here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=485915

Gravity Dropper turbo
Pros:
-easy to service BY THE END USER
-customer support has been fantastic for me
-cable stays put and does not move with the seat
-lighter than most others?
-comes in 27.2 so you can shim it to fit any bike

Cons:
-butt ugly

KS-950r
Pros:
-Looks better than GD
-Infinite adjustability

Cons:
-mine failed 3 times in the first 6 weeks. Been fine since 3rd fix.
-cable housing vulnerable to elements. I had to wrap mine in an old tube to keep water/dirt out. Been fine ever since.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,203 Posts
I have only tried the GravityDropper Turbo 3" multiposition, and it is excellent. It has an extra place to stop at about an inch from the top. It has worked perfectly out of the box, and haven't had to touch it since. Joplins on the other hand, can be positioned anywhere, like an office chair. They seem to require frequent servicing, and 2 of my friends who had them ditched theirs.

The only thing I wish that I had done was get 4 or 5"of drop, instead of 3". If anyone wants to buy mine, or trade, give me a pm! :) It fits an Ibis Mojo, where the seatpost diameter is 31.6mm, but without the shim, it can also fit a smaller diameter (not sure what though).

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I really hate to bag on GD as their customer service is amazing!!! ...but. Really sorry to say, I broke 2 and to be frank, they can be fickle. When they are working, they work and for a while...but when they get out of kilter, they can go nuts on you like shooting up during a decent or not popping back up when you need it. When this happens, there is no trail fix...you need to pull them apart in a garage. I also hate the cable lay out which runs out and across which can get in the way of a lot of things. And finally, mine only had three levels of adjustment...worked fine but I do prefer unlimited.

To be fair, the 2 I broke were likely caused by a very slack bike angle that put a lot of sideways pressure on the post. I have had four so far and actually still run one on my all mountain rig. (I have an extra one if you want to buy it from me but just as happy to keep it as a spare)

I have since bought the Rockshox Reverb for my other 2 bikes. Can say without a doubt and with a lot of months of riding that these are the shizny. So well built, always work, unlimited stopping points, adjustable speed in a good way, fairly light...very excellent product. They come with cables that are far too long but they angle down from the seat so nothing to interfere. I am told they are easy to shorten but I am lazy these days.

Before you buy anything, make sure you know your seat measurements like seat post length required and diameter.

End of day though, adjustable seat post has been a game changer for me much like disk brakes, suspension, and learning how to ride flats. GD is still good and they will always take care of you but RS Reverb is very good.

good luck...

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've got a couple hundred miles on my Gravity Dropper. Even though I rarely played with my saddle height before, my new bike came with cable stops for an adjustable seatpost, so I spent the extra $250 to fully maximize the bike's potentail (or at least that's what I told my wife when she asked what the $250 was for).

It took me a while before I started to like it but now I'm hooked. The three positions are very easy to find and it returns to full extension in a snap. That said, I do have some complaints:
* It's heavier than a regular seatpost
* It's more expensive than a regular seatpost
* The cable routing out of the box is doomed to kink. You need to add a noodle to it to smooth the routing from the frame to the Gravity Dropper. Doing this was a huge performance improvement.
* There's just a touch of wiggle in the clamp that I can't get rid of. I don't feel it when I'm riding but if you grab my saddle and rock it fore and aft, you can feel it.
* I like clean handlebars and the remote is just one more thing to add to the clutter.
* Speaking of the remote, the clamp is wimpy is going fail eventually.
* It's one more way to tag yourself in the balls if you extend the seatpost when you're positioned just right. Not enough to really hurt, but enough to get you attention.

I don't have to use a shim for my seatpost, which is a good thing. I think that would've convinced me just to stick with a Tompson.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,203 Posts
hairylegs said:
I don't have to use a shim for my seatpost, which is a good thing. I think that would've convinced me just to stick with a Tompson.
Agreed. The shim works just fine, but it looks ghetto. Perhaps it is easier for them for manufacturing reasons. I looked on their website today, and my seatpost size no longer requires a shim. Only 1 size requires a shim now. Maybe they are getting more business, and can justify manufacturing more sizes. Seems like the prices are coming down slightly, too.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,678 Posts
shredchic said:
Agreed. The shim works just fine, but it looks ghetto. Perhaps it is easier for them for manufacturing reasons. I looked on their website today, and my seatpost size no longer requires a shim. Only 1 size requires a shim now. Maybe they are getting more business, and can justify manufacturing more sizes. Seems like the prices are coming down slightly, too.
Yup....GD is now making oversized posts....with SETBACK. But not in 27.2 gosh dangit!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Gravity Dropper - Made in the USA

I've used the 4 inch Turbo for over a year. They are easy to adjust (if you RTM - read the friggin manual)
US made
Uses a standard deraileur cable
US made in Montana - Quality parts and machine work
Awesome customer service, as in the best
Born in the USA
Light weight, relative to other posts
USA USA

You've got to draw the line somewhere and if comparable products are made over seas by multi million dollar corporations.... WTF, this is a no brainer.

·
Mtb Bum
144 Posts
Been happy with my G.D.

Been using the original style GD for 5 years or so. I now have three of them on different bikes. Been simple and trouble free for me. I did crack the lower housing on one after two years of use, but Wayne at GD told me that was a warranty issue and sent me a brand new post for free. Their customer service ROCKS!

My girlfriend has been using a Joplin for two years and she loves the infinite adjustability. She does not like the remote trigger as it's hard for her thumb to acctuate. I have had to replace the cartridge twice, and broke the seat adjustment bolt once trying to tighten it so it would stay put. Seems the little, orange seat post clamps parts wore out. Joplin durability is not there as far as I'm concerned. But she still won't consider switching to another brand. ('Course it has been me who has been dealing with the mechanicals, not her. :))

Those two brands have been around longer than the others, so I know what their strengths are weaknesses are. I am curious about the KS though as it has a really cool remote accuator.

I have used my GD for so long that I can hardly ride without one. Every year the MTB industry is jam-packed with all kinds of latest and greatest "gottahaveits," but the adjustable seatpost is the real deal.

·
aka dan51
6,019 Posts
shredchic said:
Mojo still requires a shim. GD makes the 27.2 and 30.9. To go to a 31.6 for the Mojo you'd need the 30.9 to 31.6 shim. It's beer can thin so won't be as noticeable as the 27.2 to 31.6 shim. Last I saw the 30.9 was the 5" model, which requires about 8.5" of post to be showing. Maybe they are making the 30.9 in shorter lengths now. A quick email to them will answer those questions.

·
Slowest Rider
5,213 Posts
Gravity Dropper Works Great!

There's a big thread somewhere going many pages of all opinions.

Personally, I find my 4" Gravity Dropper to be perfect. I'm glad I didn't go for the smaller 3" drop, as I sometimes want more. Not sure I'd ever use the 1' drop, and didn't get it. Two positions are simple enough.

I was worried about the post strength at my size as I break lots of normal bike posts. Sure enough, in the first few years, many big guys were snapping posts. But GD strengthened the post with never a break since. I waited for this and then bought the stronger post. I've been riding it for a couple years now without a hitch.

Sometimes I see riders having trouble getting it to latch up or down. But I never have problem with the post as I adjust and maintain the cable well, and about once a year rip it apart and readjust it with the usual complete bike overhaul.

I justified the cost after doing a big endo going down a super steep hill in Santa Cruz. I couldn't get far enough back with the seat accidentally up, and on the first big root did a endo 30' down the hill costing $800 in bike repair, and a 2" welt all the way along my abdomen.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Using one of these pieces of junk puts you in league with some seriously slow riders. Honestly, why waste your money just to look like a newb? Honestly fast riders don't use crappy like this.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've put 10k trail miles on my bikes and they all have a Gravity dropper 4" post
They can break but the customer service is the best ever.
I would'nt consider any other brand
Get at least a 4" drop

·
Banned
87 Posts
pvd said:
Using one of these pieces of junk puts you in league with some seriously slow riders. Honestly, why waste your money just to look like a newb? Honestly fast riders don't use crappy like this.
Define "seriously slow riders," "waste your money" and "fast riders."

Thanks for the laughs.

p.s. I've ridden with many seriously fast riders that can understand why an adjustable seatpost allows them to ride even faster, despite what clueless etards might "think."

·
NedwannaB
12,751 Posts
Wait a minute....

fat.tires said:
Gravity Dropper - Made in the USA

I've used the 4 inch Turbo for over a year. They are easy to adjust (if you RTM - read the friggin manual)
US made
Uses a standard deraileur cable
US made in Montana - Quality parts and machine work
Awesome customer service, as in the best
Born in the USA
Light weight, relative to other posts
USA USA

You've got to draw the line somewhere and if comparable products are made over seas by multi million dollar corporations.... WTF, this is a no brainer.
Let me get this straight. Are you trying to tell me to get a Gravity Dropper?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts