Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just ordered a small frame El Guapo. I'm 5'4'' with a 29 inch inseam. Does anyone know if a Gravity Dropper or Speedball will work with a 30.9 seatpost. Yes, I know they make them,...but I need to know if the GD or speedball with fit the length on the frame?

My Racer X needed to have the seat tube reamed in order to fit the seatpost. It still doesn't go down far enough, so I need to cut the seatpost. I don't think I could do that with a GD device. Anyone with experience with this?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The length of the frame is fine. It's the length of exposed seatpost that matters. I'm not sure about the Gravity Dropper but the AMP has a one that only requires 6.25" exposed. I have a small EG and I actually have the same exact inseam and am the same height as you. 6.25" exposed is a perfect fit. 7.25" would make the seat too tall. I plan on getting that post in the very near future.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
'Hey guys.......would 5'8" and 29.8" inseam be too cramped on a small EG?????

Or medium with 50 mm/70 stem be better.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
TiEndo said:
'Hey guys.......would 5'8" and 29.8" inseam be too cramped on a small EG?????

Or medium with 50 mm/70 stem be better.
Since you'll be riding this only on the road, I'd go with the medium. :p

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
geolover said:
Since you'll be riding this only on the road, I'd go with the medium. :p

LOL......whoever said it was for me.......I posed this question a while back for my buddy who was looking at a used RFX and now we've run into a used EG that is selling dirt cheap and it's a medium. When I asked Titus.....one rep said small, other guy said medium.......literally split between the dealers we've asked on sizing Half say small , half say medium. Since I think Woody and OP are a good few inches shorter, I figure medium for him would be better with the shorter stem.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
TiEndo said:
LOL......whoever said it was for me.......I posed this question a while back for my buddy who was looking at a used RFX and now we've run into a used EG that is selling dirt cheap and it's a medium. When I asked Titus.....one rep said small, other guy said medium.......literally split between the dealers we've asked on sizing Half say small , half say medium. Since I think Woody and OP are a good few inches shorter, I figure medium for him would be better with the shorter stem.
You are correct. A medium frame with short stem would do the trick. I'm riding mine with a 50mm stem and it's a perfect fit. I've ridden it with a 90mm stem but I felt like a ghey roadie so I switched. I couldn't imagine a 5'8" guy on a small.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you

woodyak said:
The length of the frame is fine. It's the length of exposed seatpost that matters. I'm not sure about the Gravity Dropper but the AMP has a one that only requires 6.25" exposed. I have a small EG and I actually have the same exact inseam and am the same height as you. 6.25" exposed is a perfect fit. 7.25" would make the seat too tall. I plan on getting that post in the very near future.

Thank you so very much. The AMP sounds like the way to go. I found the thread about AMPs too, so I appreciate you answering my question directly.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Size of stem and AMP

woodyak said:
You are correct. A medium frame with short stem would do the trick. I'm riding mine with a 50mm stem and it's a perfect fit. I've ridden it with a 90mm stem but I felt like a ghey roadie so I switched. I couldn't imagine a 5'8" guy on a small.
Woodyak,.. do you ride a small EG or a medium. Being that we are the same ht and inseam, I might need to go with a 50 mm stem also. Secondly, which size AMP did you purchase? I'm looking at the 3" drop, but I don't know if thats a 300, 325mm, or what. I believe I will also need a shim since the EG has a 30.9 mm seatpost,..is that correct? Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I ride a small EG. I started out riding a 90mm stem with the spacers on top because I came from an XS Motolite which had a more XC feel to it. I then went to a 70mm and now I'm at a 50mm with all the spacers below the stem. I have the seat all the way back and the bars rolled a little forward right now. I'm still working the fit out but the 50mm works fine.

I just bought this one today w/a 30.9mm shim:

3" drop 360mm: Minimum post exposed ~ 6.25" - Maximum ~ 12.0" post exposed

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

Thank you woodyak. I'm going to purchase the same GD. I'll look into the stem length when I set up the saddle distance. Thanks again.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
I have a 4" GD on my Guapo, using a 30.9 shim. It works great. I actually have enough room for a 5" model. Maybe someday I'll get the 5" AMP?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts