Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are Gravity drop and others so expensive, they seem like such a simple devise. I havent seen one close up so I have no idea how they are built, but $250 to $375 seems like a lot of money. Does anyone build a less expensive model?
Thanks, A.H.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Small company, high engineering and production costs, made in U.S.A. Excellent CS as well. Crank Bros model is about the same, as is the AMP.

There is a cheaper model out on the market, but considering how catastrophic a seat post failure is, I don't mind paying the $$ for something that I know will cover my a$$.

·
Big Boned
1,535 Posts
There are knockoffs:

http://www.origin-8.com

You get what you pay for. Ever looked inside a Speedball? The internals are analogous to a suspension fork. When you consider a good static post goes for about $100, and a good suspension fork goes for $500 and up, I think the cost of the Speedball is about right.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
People pay $100 bucks for a seatpost that does absolutely nothing except look good and weigh a reasonable amount (and may or may not have an easily adjustable seat angle). Go figure. If you get one that goes up and down with a handlebar control and even stops at several heights, and only costs 2-3 times as much as the pretty boy post seems like a good deal to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.