Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello MTBR! I've been researching and Googling and feel a bit overwhelmed really. I'm going to get back into mountain biking (used to be an enthusiast but that was 15 years ago). Main qualifier about me is I'm 6' and weigh about 250# - which is why I need to rediscover a sport I once loved! At this rate I'm going to get diabetes, heart disease, or worse!

Anyway...in my searches and studies I'm finding that the Gravity 29point3 is tough to beat as far as what I'm looking for. I want an "entry level bike" that will sustain my girth and will handle well as I lose the spare tire! At $749 from bikesdirect can anyone suggest other bikes I might be interested in with comparable specs? $750 is really about as high as I want to go right now...at the most $900 but that might leave a sick feeling with me.

Is there any feature I should focus on considering I'm not in the best shape? You guys are extremely knowledgeable and I appreciate your help.

Gravity 29point3
FrameALLOY 6061 Aluminum with TrailTested Design. D-Section, Hydroformed Downtube with reinforced Gusset, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, water bottle mount
Fork29" SUSPENSION FORK, ROCK SHOX TK 29" 100MM Long Travel, Lockout
NOTE: Due to 2014 changes, some equipped with Rockshox XC/TK/32 forks, FSA Gamma Drive cranks, and Elixir 1 brakes. No Choice.
CranksetSRAM or FSA 22Tx32Tx44T x175mm, ALLOY BLACK CRANK arms
Bottom BracketSealed external bearing, 68mm
PedalsMountain Platform
Front DerailleurNo Choice: SRAM X7 or SHIMANO DEORE FDM591, 31.8mm clamp
Rear DerailleurSRAM X7 long cage, for 30 Speed
ShiftersSRAM X7, 30 speed, trigger shift
CassetteCassette 11-36t 10 speed
ChainKMC DX10, for 30 Speed
HubsGravity by Formula Sealed Ball Bearing Disc with Quick Release
SpokesStainless steel
RimsWTB SPEED DISC 29x32H, Black anodized Aluminum
TiresWTB PROWLER SL RACE, 29x2.1
BrakesAvid Elixir 1 or Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc Brake, 185mm Rotor front and rear
Brake LeversAvid, Hydraulic Brake Levers
HeadsetCaneCreek VP-A42E Sealed Bearing threadless 1 1/8 in
HandlebarBlack Finish Aluminum 6061 T6, 610MM x 31.8mm
StemBlack Finish Aluminum threadless EXT:90MM(15.5"~17.5")/110MM(19"~21")x10 DEGREES
Tape/GripWTB DualCompound
SaddleWTB SpeedV
Seat PostBlack Finish Aluminum Mountain 27.2mm x 400mm
(insert min 2 inches below lowest top tube weld / maintain clamp collar tightness)
Seat Post ClampSuper Light Alloy with Quick Release

<tbody>
</tbody>

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Those specs don't mean a whole lot , you get what you pay for. You want to find a bike that fits, then one for the way you want to use it. Check with some shops ,they might have something better for less $ . Used is the way to go if you know what to look for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just purchased the 29point4 and it is great bike rides great. I am 6'2and I have a large frame make the choice that is going to be the best for you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Go to a shop and see something comparale to the Gravity and test ride it. Specs aren't going to do much for you if the bike doesn't fit you first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those specs don't mean a whole lot , you get what you pay for. You want to find a bike that fits, then one for the way you want to use it. Check with some shops ,they might have something better for less $ . Used is the way to go if you know what to look for.
You don't think that's a good quality bike for the money?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to a shop and see something comparale to the Gravity and test ride it. Specs aren't going to do much for you if the bike doesn't fit you first.
I'm going to hit a couple of shops today. I really would like to buy local and I hope I can get something comparable for the same price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just purchased the 29point4 and it is great bike rides great. I am 6'2and I have a large frame make the choice that is going to be the best for you.
I'm going to get sized today. The Gravity does look great and seems to be priced well I think.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
Looks like they are sold out of the 19" in that model (Gravity 29Point3), and if it doesn't fit correctly, it's no bargain at any price.

At 250# and looking to lose weight, I would strongly advise you to pony up for a bike that has an air spring fork. Entry level coil spring forks will be less than satisfying if you're going to ride often enough to drop some weight. 250# and getting lighter is probably going to be OK with stock wheels for at least a while. The rest is not a concern IMHO regarding your size, but the fork definitely is.

With that said, in trying to keep within your budget or at least somewhat close to it, I would recommend a bike like the Airborne Seeker or the Marin Bobcat Trail.

It will hurt to spend more up front, but it will save you money and make your smile wider from that day on. Take your time and search far and wide for the right bike in the right size at the right price.

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like they are sold out of the 19" in that model (Gravity 29Point3), and if it doesn't fit correctly, it's no bargain at any price.

At 250# and looking to lose weight, I would strongly advise you to pony up for a bike that has an air spring fork. Entry level coil spring forks will be less than satisfying if you're going to ride often enough to drop some weight. 250# and getting lighter is probably going to be OK with stock wheels for at least a while. The rest is not a concern IMHO regarding your size, but the fork definitely is.

With that said, in trying to keep within your budget or at least somewhat close to it, I would recommend a bike like the Airborne Seeker or the Marin Bobcat Trail.

It will hurt to spend more up front, but it will save you money and make your smile wider from that day on. Take your time and search far and wide for the right bike in the right size at the right price.

Good luck
Thank you very much I will look into that.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
I also see that Performance Bike has some 29" hardtail bikes (what I would generally recommend in your situation) on sale for less then $1,000 that have air spring forks and are otherwise decent.

When you find something you like, you might give the LBS a shot and see if they can come toward you at least part way on a bike that will work well for you. They may not be able to match dollar for dollar, but they will (most likely) be there for you close by when you need them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also see that Performance Bike has some 29" hardtail bikes (what I would generally recommend in your situation) on sale for less then $1,000 that have air spring forks and are otherwise decent.

When you find something you like, you might give the LBS a shot and see if they can come toward you at least part way on a bike that will work well for you. They may not be able to match dollar for dollar, but they will (most likely) be there for you close by when you need them.
Yeah I'll try that. One store here only sells Specialized and the other has quite a few brands but they seem pretty pricey. I'll definitely buy upgrades/gear at the local store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts