Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the 29er Components section there is a thread that I used to plan and then build a set of MTB wheels from inexpensive carbon rims from China. Mine were from CarbonFan, though nextie, lightbike and some others were also discussed. I am starting to plan a build for a bike that will replace my road bike, and bike I use on dirt roads. We have a ton of dirt roads around here and it is nice to have something for that time of year before the MTB trails dry out. I am looking at building up a Kona Libre frame (full carbon), or just getting the lower priced build and then replacing the 650b wheels with 700c. Would likely use DTSwiss 350 hubs again. I was thinking of shooting for something with close to a 30mm ID. I am planning to run tyres in the 38-43 range mostly. Kinda looking at Gravelking SK's right now, or Riddlers or something.

My MTB wheels were a blow out model and were not the lightest model, nor asymmetrical.

Anyone use some Chinese carbon rims to build up their gravel/road wheels? How did it work out? Which rim did you use?

These are my MTB wheels. Still rolling strong starting a third season. (tried to get rid of the third image showing the original WTB's but use unable. The embedded photos are the carbons).

IMG_4910.jpg IMG_4837.jpg

Attachments

·
smartass
698 Posts
Both of these wheelsets are on Light Bicycle rims. The 27.5 were built for mtb, so they're overkill with 32 spokes and i30 rims, but work great. The 700c rims are 28h and were originally purchased to be a road wheel, so they're on the narrow side by modern standards at i18, but work great with 38c tires. I'm currently building another road set with the same rims in 24h on lighter hubs.

Both have been very reliable (I have way more miles on the 700c wheels). Never trued, no flats, easy tubeless setup, no issues at all.

IMG_3681 (1).jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both of these wheelsets are on Light Bicycle rims. The 27.5 were built for mtb, so they're overkill with 32 spokes and i30 rims, but work great. The 700c rims are 28h and were originally purchased to be a road wheel, so they're on the narrow side by modern standards at i18, but work great with 38c tires. I'm currently building another road set with the same rims in 24h on lighter hubs.

Both have been very reliable (I have way more miles on the 700c wheels). Never trued, no flats, easy tubeless setup, no issues at all.

View attachment 1248715

View attachment 1248716
Nice! I am just learning about these new rims and how wide they can go in OD/ID. Glad to know yours have worked out. I was thinking to run 700c, then have maybe a little under 40 in the rear and a little over 40 in the front or something like that in terms of tires.

·
smartass
698 Posts
2.1". I'll have to measure the casing and get back to you. Clearance is tight, I dished the wheel a couple of mm to the drive side to improve things.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have a set of Yishun bike ASD disc rims on DT swiss 350's.

Almost identical dimensions to the Zipp Firecrest NSW rims.

I have used them on my road bike for 2 years and they have been flawless.

I debated using them on my gravel bike but didn't end up trying. They are 24 spoke and i weight over 200

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump to update this thread. It is looking like there are some options through the usual chinese sources based on the 29'er carbon wheel thread I linked above. Will be looking at my options. I am confused about depth too. Looks like 24-26 inner width should be what I am shooting for, based on the wheels that my bike and other similar bikes come with.

·
smartass
698 Posts
I have a set of these on the way: https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-t...her-for-cyclocross-road-and-gravel-bikes.html

light-bicycle-disc-brake-wheelset.jpg

25mm internal, 35mm deep seems like a great combination.

I'm planning to run them with 32c Gravel King slicks for a 70mi/7500' mixed surface (road biased) event I have coming up at the end of March. Will also try them out on my road bike with 28c slicks to see how that works. My regular gravel setup will be 38-40c tires.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I built up a set of AR28 rims laced to DT Swiss 350 hubs with 2.0 dt swiss spokes . I run these with 35mm Schawble G-one All arounds. I did the UNPaved gravel race on these. No issue. Taped, with rotors 140/160 and 11-32 Ultregra cassette, 1900 grams total.

·
smartass
698 Posts
Here's a couple of shots of the WR35s. First with Specialized 32c Roubaixs that measure 35mm wide, and then with 28c Mavic Yksion Pro, which measure 32mm wide.

I'll be selling a couple of older sets of LB wheels to buy a new set on WR45 rims for my road bike.

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4929.jpg

IMG_4931.jpg

The wide setup on the road is super comfortable and just feels really solid and precise. I'm 160lbs and I'm running under 60psi in the 28c tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
What about Light Bicycle Falcon 35mm(F) or 45m(R) vs. Falcon pro 38 (F&R) for gravel and road out west? Also does anyone know the difference between Falcon and Falcon Pro?

Recommendation?

·
Human Test Subject
1,327 Posts
What about Light Bicycle Falcon 35mm(F) or 45m(R) vs. Falcon pro 38 (F&R) for gravel and road out west? Also does anyone know the difference between Falcon and Falcon Pro?

Recommendation?
The Pro versions are a different carbon. They're lighter, more expensive, and have a 5 year warranty which is what sealed the deal for me. I have a 38 and 50 on order, but in 1 month the 50 is still in processing status.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Pro versions are a different carbon. They're lighter, more expensive, and have a 5 year warranty which is what sealed the deal for me. I have a 38 and 50 on order, but in 1 month the 50 is still in processing status.
Are you doing 38 front/50 back or two separate wheelsets?

·
Human Test Subject
1,327 Posts
Are you doing 38 front/50 back or two separate wheelsets?
Yep 38F 50R. DT swiss 180 hubs and either CX Ray or Berd spokes. Berd is super local, so probably them.

I emailed LB and coronavirus has hit their production hard. They bumped up the priority on my last rim and said they will try to ship it by April 8th.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have a set of these on the way: https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-t...her-for-cyclocross-road-and-gravel-bikes.html

View attachment 1314105

25mm internal, 35mm deep seems like a great combination.

I'm planning to run them with 32c Gravel King slicks for a 70mi/7500' mixed surface (road biased) event I have coming up at the end of March. Will also try them out on my road bike with 28c slicks to see how that works. My regular gravel setup will be 38-40c tires.
Have these continued to work out for you? Something very much like this is what I want to do. Either Lightbicycle, carbon fan, or similar.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a couple of shots of the WR35s. First with Specialized 32c Roubaixs that measure 35mm wide, and then with 28c Mavic Yksion Pro, which measure 32mm wide.

I'll be selling a couple of older sets of LB wheels to buy a new set on WR45 rims for my road bike.

View attachment 1317955

View attachment 1317951

View attachment 1317953

The wide setup on the road is super comfortable and just feels really solid and precise. I'm 160lbs and I'm running under 60psi in the 28c tires.
Have these continued to work out for you? Also, on your road set, do you feel faster with the 28 vs 32 tires? I am intending this set of wheels and tires to be primarily road with some light gravel road if it comes up on the ride. I have the stock 650b WTB KOM’s for bigger gravel rides.

Also, has anyone tried this rim? ED27DF9C-4B32-42DF-BB5D-C734D0436420.jpg F7DBD986-A857-409C-9AF5-7954282FBEE6.jpg
I have had pretty good luck with that set of MTB hoops I got from Carbonfan a few years back.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts