Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During winter, the gravel bike was great as it is more fun then spending the entire winter on a turbo trainer. However during this time of year, it is impossible to do any gravel riding.

The gravel roads are occupied by pedestrians who block the roads (seriously, a bunch of them walk side by side waiting for me to hit them like a bowling ball). Or they walk literally in the middle of the road and then change their path randomly to the right or left as you approach. Some pedestrians have the guts to walk on the wrong side of the road and force me to ride on huge boulders at 20mph without a suspension at the last minute.

So are you guys lucky that pedestrians do not flock to your gravel roads during summer or what? For me, my gravel bike is retired during this time of year it seems as I am better of taking my road bike.

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
Don't think you are around gravel roads much. That sounds more like a bike path than a gravel road. So there are people on foot everywhere. And actual gravel road people will be few if any because it's just that, a road. So motor vehicles use it. People aren't going to be walking especially in the middle of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,515 Posts
That's weird, most pedestrians only venture a mile or so from their houses or cars so it's easy to outdistance them on a bike. I don't think I've ever seen a pedestrian on a gravel road around here.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Thousands of miles on gravel for me and never a pedestrian. If this is actually happening...tell them to move out of your way. If they are blocking the road...an actual public road...call the police. If it's a path...complain to the property/park manager. All else fails, hit them.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,464 Posts
Did 100 mile gravel ride Friday, for 47 miles I did not see another car, person, atv, cow, nothing.
Did see two grizzlies, though.

Reactions: scottzg

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,183 Posts
Lots of miles of gravel roads around here in AK if you know where to go.

I ride a fat-bike on gravel and on snow in the winter. When the gravel gets real chunky, the fat-bike is way better than those skinny-tire bikes.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Even here in overcrowded norcal, about a mile from the parking lot becomes pretty desolate. Most people dont wander far from their car. We did a 14 mile hike through yosemite (notoriously overcrowded) and after about the 1 mile mark, we saw maybe 4 people the whole time.

Where are you riding that the gravel roads are packed like that? That sucks.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
Where are you riding that the gravel roads are packed like that? That sucks.
I also live in a notoriously heavily used area (Pisgah National Forest) and even if you do your gravel ride on the gated gravel service roads in Bent Creek (close to town so lots of pedestrians and dog walkers along with people on bikes of all sorts) that the USFS basically treats as trails, you don't even have to get a mile from the trailheads before you find empty gravel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The gravel roads are occupied by pedestrians who block the roads (seriously, a bunch of them walk side by side waiting for me to hit them like a bowling ball). Or they walk literally in the middle of the road and then change their path randomly to the right or left as you approach. Some pedestrians have the guts to walk on the wrong side of the road and force me to ride on huge boulders at 20mph without a suspension at the last minute.

So are you guys lucky that pedestrians do not flock to your gravel roads during summer or what? For me, my gravel bike is retired during this time of year it seems as I am better of taking my road bike.
It sounds like you're more city based than a lot of the people that have replied to your post and are probably more gravel path in the suburbs than gravel road in more remote areas.
I'm kind of in a half way house between what you're experiencing and some of the people that responded who are fortunate enough to live in (or are at least close to) wide open expanses where there's virtually no traffic or pedestrians.

We have areas near me that I purposely avoid during a nice day in the summer which are nearer to the towns but also fortunate enough to have some areas you that I virtually never see a pedestrian ... in essence it's all about where you live ... Outback in Aussie you'll find loads of gravel roads you won't see a soul for months ... maybe years.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Seems like the OP doesn't understand the difference between gravel roads and gravel foot paths :skep: Curious where they're from. Even down here were people do walk far, you don't see people on gravel roads, but still do agree, boring as hell if you have the option to ride proper trails on a trail bike.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Seems like the OP doesn't understand the difference between gravel roads and gravel foot paths :skep: Curious where they're from. Even down here were people do walk far, you don't see people on gravel roads, but still do agree, boring as hell if you have the option to ride proper trails on a trail bike.
Depends on where you ride I guess or definition of boring. I've seen some awesome things and breath taking views while riding gravel roads. While not exciting in the sense of fast descents and constantly being active on the bike, jumps and drops, technical riding, ect...but other than my routine route I use just to get in some miles to stay in shape...I've rarely been "bored" while riding gravel or pavement.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,441 Posts
You Guys, Zest28 is obviously a Russian troll.

They are trying to weaken us Americans by convincing us not to even bother to try get some exercise. The most patriotic thing you can do is light your computer on fire and get on your bike and ride it.

YMMV.

Reactions: HEMIjer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It sounds like you're more city based than a lot of the people that have replied to your post and are probably more gravel path in the suburbs than gravel road in more remote areas.
I'm kind of in a half way house between what you're experiencing and some of the people that responded who are fortunate enough to live in (or are at least close to) wide open expanses where there's virtually no traffic or pedestrians.

We have areas near me that I purposely avoid during a nice day in the summer which are nearer to the towns but also fortunate enough to have some areas you that I virtually never see a pedestrian ... in essence it's all about where you live ... Outback in Aussie you'll find loads of gravel roads you won't see a soul for months ... maybe years.
I'm not living the city. But judging from the replies, it seems most are from the USA which explains alot of things.

Here people are very into outdoor activities such as hiking, marathons, triathlon, MTB and road cycling. Even when you go into the mountains, you have to stick to the designated MTB trails because if you don't, there is a big chance you will hit all those hikers (it is very busy during this time of year).

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just curious where you're at? For the original question, maybe get a quite loud bell and ring it wildly as you approach will convince them to give you some space. Gravel roads clogged with pedestrians is not a problem I've read about in any ride reports or blog posts about riding gravel anywhere in Europe (and I've read about a lot of routes/rides).

At any rate, if there's a well-established network of MTB only trails, I think I'd be taking advantage of that over gravel riding anyway. The only reason I ride so much gravel here in Eastern Europe is cause there are almost no mtb trails and paved road riding is boring. And there's a ton of good dirt roads to explore here with very little traffic.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.