Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gravel bike question with implications for your next hardtail

2K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Crankout 
#1 ·
Which would you choice if each were 22.5 lbs and $2000?

Gravel bike with aluminum frame and CF fork
GRX 22-speed and 38c tires
OR
Gravel bike with Reynolds 853 and CF fork
GRX 22-speed and 38c tires

assume same frame geo on these two gravel bikes

———————————

Would your answer change if it were two similar ATB hardtails at 28lbs and $2000 with same level forks and geo?

#7 ·
IMO, weight is the only reason to choose AL over steel (ok, maybe corrosion resistance for a winter bike). If the bikes weigh the same then steel every time.

Kind of surprised you could do 853 frame bikes with same spec as AL for the same price.
you are right: I can not do 853 for the same price as aluminum
No one can

but I can easily sell 853 for the price that others charge for aluminum

JUST FYI
frame prices are in this order low to high

aluminum HT
4130 HT
CF HT
853 HT
AL FS
CF FS
Ti HT

I just wondering what knowledgeable customers prefer

#20 ·
I'd select the 853 bike as well.

In reality though, I shop first based on warranty. Since I break EVERYTHING, a life time warranty from a reputable manufacturer is the only type of bike I'll consider.

We (wife and I) both just purchased Cervelo Asperos with GRX and SC Reserve wheels. There were several other gravel bikes that were on the initial list, nearly all were eliminated by the requirement.

In Dec 2019, I purchased a SC TB4: CC,XO, Reserve Wheels. I had 2 previous claims with SC on my wife's TB3 which sealed the deal--one claim we paid $0.00 and got a complete new frame. The second claim (top tube was pierced by a bullet while driving in the interstate) was crash replacement and very fair.

#23 ·
I'll have the 853 please.

It would be awesome to see an adventure/ bikepacking bike in the line-up. I'm inches away from throwing down on a Karate Monkey/ Bootzipper today.
You will find this funny
Maybe 7 years ago I added a monster cross bike due to a post on MTBR that I read and responded too
I called it the GRAVITY ZILLA
so it's changed over the years
started AL
now it's CF - and bikepacking types started buying them like crazy
so I added a lower priced CF Zilla
then I just designed; spec,d and ordered two more ZILLA models in aluminum
as this bike packing thing is blowing up

and I about six months ago I ask my staff "you know what I want to do for bike packing customers?"

two guys say at once "a ZILLA 853"
as they know me
then they say; "forget it! Adventure and bikepacking riders want AL or carbon"

if I understand you correctly
thats at least one vote for steel in that type bike
(2 if you count me LOL)

#26 ·
For a gravel bike I would probably want the lighter option and/or the option with the most mount points. I think 831 would be nicer/classier. I have a Ti gravel bike ... and I would want that material over either 831 or aluminium. Actually, I have an 831 Hardtail enduro bike, I think it has a nicer ride than my Alu bike. I have no problems with carbon bikes either!

#29 ·
I ordered a Niner steel RLT over CF and AL, just for bikepacking and adventure touring. I'd rather have steel If things go upside-down, when I'm far from home. Modern CF is pretty close to magically and AL has advanced lightyears from the 'old days', but as other say - Steel is real.

I promised myself one day I'll have a CF (road) bike that's stupid light and liquid fast, but I might put that idea on hold for some Chris King wheels... (that's another story).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.