Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am like looking for a bike I can both dable in some CX races and use as an adventure/gravel bike. I want it to fit 700x40c and have 2 bottle mounts. Other than that I am open. My LBS that treats me good can get me good pricing on Cannondale, Giant, and Salsa. I really like the Super X SE and the Warbird. Both have sort of a middle ground geometry between a high B.B. ultra nimble CX bike and a mellow gravel bike. The TCX is nice, but the geo is a little to traditional CX for me. Any reason why the Warbird would not hold up to a few CX races? The rear end is more compliant than most CX bikes and does have some small diameter tubing, but is a CX race any more taxing than rough gravel?

Thanks!

·
Bikes in jeans
2,371 Posts
I am like looking for a bike I can both dable in some CX races and use as an adventure/gravel bike. I want it to fit 700x40c and have 2 bottle mounts. Other than that I am open. My LBS that treats me good can get me good pricing on Cannondale, Giant, and Salsa. I really like the Super X SE and the Warbird. Both have sort of a middle ground geometry between a high B.B. ultra nimble CX bike and a mellow gravel bike. The TCX is nice, but the geo is a little to traditional CX for me. Any reason why the Warbird would not hold up to a few CX races? The rear end is more compliant than most CX bikes and does have some small diameter tubing, but is a CX race any more taxing than rough gravel?

Thanks!
Warbird is an awesome race-level bike that would work well for CX, it will definitely hold up. If you want something more versatile for commuting or bikepacking, etc., I'd probably look at the vaya or cutthroat, but really depends on how serious you are going to get with CX.

·
Cycologist
10,337 Posts
I think CX has a tire requirement of like 35 or 38 max. How much is your budget? I'd also look into the Niner RLT series of bikes too.
I think it is 32, maybe 33, but you have to be doing some very serious racing before that regulation is in place.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

Thanks!
TCX geometry isn't going to hold you back at all. I raced for several years and always rode my CX bikes in a number of different events, never a problem, as do many of my buddies. These days it's really splitting hairs between gravel and CX.

The extreme Euro / old school cross bikes can be a bit weird.

The biggest difference is tire clearance, top tube clearance for shouldering and BB height. If you wanna just dabble in cross, most gravel bikes will work. You'll start to notice the drawback once you start getting into the Cat 1/2/Elite level, but until then, I don't think it really matters what you buy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.