Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
11,822 Posts
This is really interesting. Do you have a photo of you riding it in this setup? I literally cannot parse what I am seeing on the screen with a rider on the bike. I have having a hard time with the scale.

Can you expand upon why the bi-plane bar is better for geometry vs. a standard cockpit?

·
Administrator
11,822 Posts
Modern geometries push the head tube axis to locations that make it impossible to use traditional bar/stem combinations. This solves that issue.
would one of those zero offset stems achieve the same thing? I like this idea, was intrigued by Canyon's bar and this seems like a better solution. The cross bar provides thumb hooks at the location I think would be beneficial for long runs in the drops and the secondary bar would give a more aero hand position to tuck into when you don't feel like being in the drops. More hand positions more better.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Seems like you could just do a short/high rise stem turned backwards to get the same effect.

What does the super forward geometry do for a road bike though?
That's a good question. PVD knows what's up, but he's taken the extremist route for promotion, so we can't totally trust what he says.

I'm inclined to think that it's pretty fkn amazing for descending rough roads (tires permitting), somewhat worse in a bunch or a sprint or in a group at speed, and slightly worse descending roads compared to traditional geo with a long reach. Overall probably superior for a lot of riders. He's building some seriously cool stuff and i'm conjecting. Flat roads and protours have dominated road bike design for too long, so i hope he has some influence in the future.

Biplane handlebars should be super fkn comfy, more aero, and track fantastically, for a minimal weight penalty. These are REALLY cool.

I'm a huge fan of where PVD is pushing bike design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.