Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Die trying, not watching.
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FATRAC ( www.fatrac.org ) has scheduled a trail work session for the very popular trails in the Folsom Lake SRA. If one third of the riders who use this trail show up for the work, the trail would really benefit. Many hands make light work. Email the work leader if you intend to come. Thanks.

Date: Sunday, January 18, 2009
Time: 9:00 AM
Work leader: Ron Dickenson
530-823-3731
[email protected]

Meet at: Kiosk at main entrance (End of Douglas Blvd)
Sponsored by: The Hub

·
Registered
267 Posts
The trails at Granit are suffering. January opens the TBF racing season, a fun venue and I and my family have particapated but the TBF racing season is hell on this trail system. In my opinion TBF is willing to write a check for tossing folks off public trails and then put to many bikes on the trail rain or shine and do little of anything to mitagate the damage. Maybe this year they will show up with a few folks and put a little TLC back on what they use for fun and profit.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I really Wish the TBF guys would try to help maintain the trails after a muddy race!!!! 200 High school kids can do a shat load of damage in 3 hours!!!

Finally trail work on a Sunday, Hopefully I can make it out there

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tools are provided, as is a nice raffle hosted by the sponsoring bike shop. Last time I won a $50 tire.

·
hilarious
210 Posts
Not all TBFs damage

winchboy said:
In my opinion TBF is willing to write a check for tossing folks off public trails and then put to many bikes on the trail rain or shine and do little of anything to mitagate the damage. .
What does that mean? Who did TBF send a check to for tossing folks off public trails?

scooter916 said:
I really Wish the TBF guys would try to help maintain the trails after a muddy race!!!! 200 High school kids can do a shat load of damage in 3 hours!!!
TBF is no longer associated with the 300 high school kids racing at Granite Bay. It's the NorCal High School Mountain Bike Racing League. The Director of that League is a dick who cares about nothing but himself. The only reason he would ever touch a tool is to use it to climb up into some wealthy Marin resident's a$$.

That said -- I think TBF has actually sponsored work days at Granite Bay, as their races do impact the trails quite a bit.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You got that right Klarity!!

I would not put all the hurt on TBF. That area is way inpacted by many means of travel and weather.Yes they do hold there little race series almost every weekend and yes they should be out there helping. Yes by the way, the direcotor of the Nor Cal high school league is a big dick. Number one, they should be teaching the kids about trail maintance and what they can do help the area's they hammer.
I have the sad pleasure of talking with him when the league just got started. Its all about him and money .He pats his back allot.
There are allot of people that use those trails not just TBF. I think the state park needs to put a stop to races durning the winter and rain season to slow down the destruction of the trails.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
jimmyboy said:
I think the state park needs to put a stop to races durning the winter and rain season to slow down the destruction of the trails.
But that would take away some of the mystic of the TBF MTB Challenge races.:D
You never know what Mother Nature is going to dish out at you.:eekster: Nothing like destroying a new set of brake pads in half a lap of a three lap rain soaked race, finishing the race using your foot against the back tire to stop yourself.:p

I know I have contributed a lot to the wear and tear of Granite Bay trails. I'll be there swinging the McLeod:thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
what to bring?

I haven't had the chance to go to one of these yet but really want to get involved. I got that tools are provided... should we just dress for cold yardwork (jeans, sweatshirt, boots, work gloves, waterbottle)? Will we have the opportunity to ride it when we're done (should I bring bike and gear)? How long will we be out there (food?)?

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,792 Posts
jimmyboy said:
I would not put all the hurt on TBF. That area is way inpacted by many means of travel and weather.Yes they do hold there little race series almost every weekend and yes they should be out there helping.
I have a bag of TBF related garbage that I've picked up after the races last year. I've been meaning to send it to Bill because when I informed him about the after race cleaned up. He accused me of being part of the problem. TBF is a Granite Bay trail parasite.

I think TBF should take a page out of RaceMTB's PC play book....

jimmyboy said:
There are allot of people that use those trails not just TBF. I think the state park needs to put a stop to races durning the winter and rain season to slow down the destruction of the trails.
I'm all for trail closure to slow down errosion. It's done in the Bay Area....albeit, it sucks for those of us that mtn bike all year long.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,792 Posts
jimmyboy said:
A lot of people use those trails but not to make money like TBF......the larger responsibility falls on TBF to be the advocate.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
mtnbiker4life said:
A lot of people use those trails but not to make money like TBF......the larger responsibility falls on TBF to be the advocate.
I commend you for taking on the "unpopular veiwpoint". I'm afraid that on this board it will fall on mostly deaf ears.

For the Record, I was one of the original people who helped Ken Prager (FATRAC) build G-Bay Trial, and we were able to ride that trail year round for years with minimal damage until TBF started hosting their events. That's no coincidence.

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dress warmly, bring work gloves, wear work boots or sturdy shoes, and a water bottle or hydration pack. The work is from 9 AM to 1 PM. Donuts and coffee usually provided at the start. You can certainly ride afterwards but your bike would be unattended during the work times. All necessary tools are provided as is guidance in performing the jobs needed. The work leader, Ron, is an expert in trail building and maintenance, and is willing to teach workers about how to do it right. I suggest contacting him to let him know you are coming. It is fun.

·
Doctor
264 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
I commend you for taking on the "unpopular veiwpoint". I'm afraid that on this board it will fall on mostly deaf ears.

For the Record, I was one of the original people who helped Ken Prager (FATRAC) build G-Bay Trial, and we were able to ride that trail year round for years with minimal damage until TBF started hosting their events. That's no coincidence.
Thank you for the trail! :thumbsup:

I've been enjoying it for years. And I agree with you re TBF.

Those who race like it, but for the rest of us it's a pain in the arse.

I plan to be there on the 18th to pitch in..

jeff

1 - 20 of 32 Posts