Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's here, the duathlon, this Saturday. I think I'm ready. I went out and rode those trails last weekend, I was surprised at how challenging a few isolated spots were. Several questions for anyone who's "been there" and "done that" out there. I believe the riding route is 12 miles this year instead of the former 10.

- Is there much passing (off the trail) going on out there?
- How many casualties have you seen and what sort?
- Have most of you picked up your bike when encoutering sand?
- How wasted did you feel when it was all over?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've never done the duathlon, just the MTB Challenge races. The MTB Challenge races start in waves by classification whereas the Duathlon is a mass start. The run probably spreads everyone apart for the bike part, whereas it really gets bunched up early in the MTB races. It looks like they have shortened the course to 6 miles with 2 laps whereas in the past it was a single 10 mile lap.

- Is there much passing (off the trail) going on out there?
For the most part, there are a lot places to get past slower riders without really leaving the trail. If you call out which side you're passing on, most will let you by. If you're slower, let 'em by.

- How many casualties have you seen and what sort?
I'm not aware of any serious injuries out there, or even minor ones for that matter. I think I heard about a broken collarbone one year, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I've seen a lot people fall, including myself, but nothing serious.

- Have most of you picked up your bike when encoutering sand?
I have always tried to ride the sand pit, but have never made it. The ones who do ride it, make it look easy and are clearly faster than running. If I go this Sunday, I'll probably pick up the bike and run the sand because getting bogged down it saps too much energy.

- How wasted did you feel when it was all over?
Again, I've never done the Chanoko. Also, I'm now one of those old guys that get fat and slow over the winter, so am pretty wasted at the end of the MTB race. Of course, that really depends on how hard you go!

Bottom line is it's a good event with good people and I've had a lot of fun out there over the past several years. Good luck on Saturday!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok...

Thanks! I'll be a volunteer at the 2/25/2007 Mountain Bike Challenge race #2, so I'll get to observe one of these MTB only events.

As for the sand, I think I'll be picking up or pushing the bike right through it. For those who can quickly spin right over the top of it, well that great for them. I tried to ride through some of it last weekend. Grinding through it as it slowly sucks you in consumes a bunch of energy. I'll need the energy for the run!

AHH - updated map!!! The link from the TBFracing site now has a more clearer shot of the course... I knew that wasn't more than 6-7 miles out there. Looks like I'll be crusing the first loop, then picking up some steam during the second.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.