Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering a move to Traverse City and was hoping someone on here could give me some information on these trails. How many months a year are they generally rideable ? and are there any local group rides around TVC ?

Thanks very much, we'd be moving from Philly and I bike roughly 10 months per year here and wanted to locate somewhere that has trails that I can ride to from home, then maybe ride afterwards to the local pub/diner.

· Registered
538 Posts
Hopefully someone here can give you more specific info, but here's a start: The TC area has a very large MTB scene with many trails, shops and rides. They are in a snow zone, so 10 months of riding may be a little optimistic. Unless you go fat. Also, the largest MTB race in America takes place on the first Saturday of November.

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully someone here can give you more specific info, but here's a start: The TC area has a very large MTB scene with many trails, shops and rides. They are in a snow zone, so 10 months of riding may be a little optimistic. Unless you go fat. Also, the largest MTB race in America takes place on the first Saturday of November.
Thanks very much, have you ridden the state hospital trails by chance ?

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard good things about Glacier Hills and I'm thinking I would look around Bellaire when we start house shopping. Last question, are there group rides and such at these places ? coming from out of state it frankly would be a nice avenue to meet fellow riders. Thanks again for taking time to reply

· aka: SpeedyChix
311 Posts
I have heard good things about Glacier Hills and I'm thinking I would look around Bellaire when we start house shopping. Last question, are there group rides and such at these places ? coming from out of state it frankly would be a nice avenue to meet fellow riders. Thanks again for taking time to reply
Check out Northern Michigan Mountain Bike Association That's the trail org for the area you're looking at. If you're a FB user, head here: Log in to Facebook

· Registered
852 Posts
Late to the party here, totally missed this post. My wife and I had to move to the TC area a couple years ago when my plant was closed and consolidated with our TC plant. I've ridden the Commons many times, there's some free ride trails aka Copper Ridge. Quite a few big hill climbs. Not a lot of mileage, and you will be sharing with a lot of hikers. It's a combination of two track and single track. I ride The VASA Pathway a lot, and live closer to Palmer Woods at the base of the Leelanau Peninsula. They just added a couple more loops, and if you ride around the dirts roads - Darwin to Miller to the Glen Lake overlook, you are climbing one of the biggest hills in the area. I'm not too far from Arcadia, and hit Big M and the NCT as well. Good luck finding a house, we got here just before the mad rush happened. Bellaire is a unique trail, you can create for own routes as it's a series of connecting loops. It's groomed in the winter. TC Commons no. If you want year round riding most of the groomed trails are on the east side of TC. I'm not into pubbing, I have a 5.1 wide tired fat bike so I'm capable of riding a lot of ungroomed trails on the west side. If you locate around Bellaire, you can go further north to some of the trails in and around Boyne. There's also a small trail system in Charlevoix.

I have met a few people who tell me the Commons is their favorite trail. If you like steep hills with a few technical areas, this actually is one of the more difficult ones to ride in TC. Most of the hikers are on the two-track, never seen them in the Copper Ridge section, and there's another smaller technical downhill section on the NW end. There are some sections you will not find on a map, so it takes a bit of exploring to see everything.

· Registered
104 Posts
Did you ever make the move to TC? I live about 5 minutes from the Commons and plan on using those trails as my ride from trail system. I am always looking for someone else to ride with.

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you ever make the move to TC? I live about 5 minutes from the Commons and plan on using those trails as my ride from trail system. I am always looking for someone else to ride with.
Sorry guys just returned to the page. We did make the move but ended up just north of Elk Rapids (Eastport). As luck would have it I was in an auto accident early April so I've been off the bike and havent ridden at all up here. I did hear on my side of Torch Lake there is a place called Maplehurst, as soon as I'm somewhat healed I'm going to try there, Glacial and maybe Vasa. Always up to explore trails with others if anyone else is close.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.