Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Contains some video from SST.

I am a total amateur on the bike, and at editing digital film. I employ a helmet camera that has been reviewed in the tech sector as a "Toy", use bundled editing software with a substandard OS, and I frequently have to use myself as a stunt double since I ride alone most of the time being one of those rare "Midweek Warriors". Enjoy and try not to laugh too hard if they seem ridiculous. Like I said, it's just a hobby.

Dave Schuldt's dream ride

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Looks like you had fun. I love that down hill from the new road to the RR grade. If you have time this week or next the WTA is back on the job.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dave_schuldt said:
Looks like you had fun. I love that down hill from the new road to the RR grade. If you have time this week or next the WTA is back on the job.
Well, curiousity got the better of me, Dave, so I went out today to have a look at this pet project of yours. I figured nobody would know I was from Tacoma if I kept my mouth shut, so if I happened to bump into a pretty hiker or a bunny even, well -- maybe she might even smile for once! :)

No such luck though, as I didn't bump into a soul. I parked at the #20 Exit, followed the RR for almost a mile, started climbing at the blue sign, crossed a new road, ending up finally at the top of a graded hill, with a view of Seattle, just beyond a stretch with lots of logs still in the way (for the record, I moved a few of these just so I could claim at least a small contribution to the project). From there, not quite 5 miles yet, I couldn't tell where or whether the trail continued, so I turned around. Midway on return I went left on a trail marked with an 'Under Contruction' notice, which I followed as far as it was well established -- down, down, down it went -- to a spot at the very bottom marked with a piece of pink tape. I suppose it will continue eventually. So I turned and -- up, up, up I went - back to the main trail. Another left-hander brought me to a creek crossing after a short while, but I didn't explore beyond that. My feet were cold now and I had the commuter traffic to beat. I'd accumulated about 12 miles by the time I got back to the truck (new window still intact -- yes! :).

Anyway, I'm not sure how much of what's there I managed to find or how much more there will be when the project's complete. I followed the .pdf link you posted to get better oriented to what I'd done, but that didn't really help much -- kinda confusing (and being from Tacoma, I sometimes have hard time with complicated maps and figures). So maybe you can clue me in as to how much of the surface I managed to scratch.

Still, good trail so far -- nice work! I could tell right away that it promises to become a real popular destination for the Seattle crowd. Hell, it might even have the potential to compete with Tigress Mountain some day, and perhaps even lure enough tigresses away, so that it might no longer be necessary to consider installing traffic lights on that oh-so-popular trail! ;-)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
When you turned around at the bottom of the under construction trail you can carry across the wet land for a short stretch of trail built this year. If you had you would have run into the WTA crew. The county wants the trail to have a chance to cure. The section down from the sign to the wetland was built last winter so it seems to be solid. Thanks for posting and I hope you sign up for some work.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dave_schuldt said:
When you turned around at the bottom of the under construction trail you can carry across the wet land for a short stretch of trail built this year. If you had you would have run into the WTA crew. The county wants the trail to have a chance to cure. The section down from the sign to the wetland was built last winter so it seems to be solid. Thanks for posting and I hope you sign up for some work.
Hey, I moved some logs at least! I'd help for sure if I lived closer but chances are you won't see my truck parked there again. Plus, I've done my share of trail building over the years.

You must appreciate that developing new trails is slightly less urgent for us south enders, who aren't so ensnared by commuter traffic or generally confined to smaller, more urbanized trails during the week. You do have some great trails close to Seattle but after each occasional visit to the best of them, I'm ever more grateful for that huge chunk of real estate just south of Olympia. Even with Victoria Falls gone now (which I rarely visited anyway), there's no reason for the average South Sounder to complain for lack of variety or feel the urge to carve something new. (It's certainly not like Okinawa where we had to carve our trails through raw jungle with machetes just to be able to mountain bike at all!)

But I will move a fallen log or two, or curb an unruly blackberry vine, whenever I travel in your neck of the woods. I promise! :)

As for relieving the pressure on Tiger, as I jokingly mentioned, well, I doubt I'll ride there again anyway (and I always discourage others). The bunny I knocked back to the parking lot a couple years ago is probably still waiting there with her lawyers. ;-)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
That's cool, didn't intend to give you a hard time. For me this trail is better than Tiger and easier to get to by bus.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dave_schuldt said:
That's cool, didn't intend to give you a hard time. For me this trail is better than Tiger and easier to get to by bus.
I knew that. ;-) It certainly is a great trail for someone who lives close by. Some stout climbing for a good workout, with the promise of a huge, happy carrot on the way back! :)

Don't think I'll park at High Point again though. I was reading up on this trail in Santo Criscuolo's guide afterwards; he mentions that this trailhead is famous for break-ins (double-digits every year, in fact). I can't believe I was parked there with my NEW $140 window, just replaced after a recent visit to Green Mountain! :-[

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Break-ins are prevalent at virtually every trailhead. That's a given. Especially the busy ones like Tiger, etc.

SRR, maybe you should start a seperate thread to let us know what you think of Criscuolo's [email protected] guide book?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Borneo said:
SRR, maybe you should start a seperate thread to let us know what you think of Criscuolo's [email protected] guide book?
I don't have any real complaints. Criscuolo's book and the one by Mark and Amy Puff-On-This are just supplements to Zilly and Kirkendall, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think Criscuolo would try to claim more than what he principally set out to do: point out some convenient trails in the immediate Puget Sound area, and for a wider audience than just hammers. A lot of the minor stuff he includes isn't mentioned anywhere else, so that's always interesting to me.

In fact, after browsing him again last night, I wanted to ask your opinion on some of these:

Edwards/Big Finn
Willows Fjords
Carey Creek
Lord Hill

Plus, I'm thinking of busting loose for South Sea Tac today, which is another one that's been WAY down on my list for a long time.

You know, my only real complaints about the guide books is 1) nobody does Capitol Forest justice, and 2) there's a lot of duplication between the different authors. Because of the duplication, I figured they'd pretty well exhausted the possibilities. Yet only this summer I happened upon Duncan Hill and Pyramid Peak. Plus there's Mt. Constitution on Orcas Island to consider, which gearz posted a while back. Surely, someone should've found room for these rides.

That's OK though; that means there's MORE out there -- a lot more hopefully. :) I was beginning to worry that I might be out of trails finally by next summer's end. :-|

BTW, why should I start a thread? Do I appear THAT critical here or is it because I strike everybody as just another sometimes-amusing-run-of-the-mill-know-it-all? :-| :-o :p

·
Registered
373 Posts
One thing I did notice in Criscuolo last night, about Tiger, he said it would

"challenge nearly every rider who isn't a professional mountain bike racer."

Boy! I imagine there are a lot of weekday/weekend warriors who will be really flattered by that. ;-)

Oops! There I go actin' like a smart-ass again. :-o

·
Banned
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uh thanks for all the kudo's for my award winning video production. :rolleyes:

Plenty of excellent riding in Squamish right now. :p

Skiing in Whistler sucks though. :mad:

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
SRR said:
Plus, I'm thinking of busting loose for South Sea Tac today, which is another one that's been WAY down on my list for a long time.
Speaking of break-ins.....Sea Tac has seen a rash of them recently. If you can, parking up the street is the best option or in the neighborhood to the West of the area. If you are parking in the lot, try to park as close to the gate/road as possible making it easier for passer-by's to see your car in the lot.

EB

·
Registered
373 Posts
zdfg said:
Sorry, I didn't get to watch it. Dial-up, you know. After all, I am south of Tacoma (but I only have ten toes ;-)

·
Registered
373 Posts
ebxtreme said:
Speaking of break-ins.....Sea Tac has seen a rash of them recently. If you can, parking up the street is the best option or in the neighborhood to the West of the area. If you are parking in the lot, try to park as close to the gate/road as possible making it easier for passer-by's to see your car in the lot.

EB
Thank you VERY much! Boy, am I battin' zero lately or what?

·
El Malo
549 Posts
Squamish ???

I was talking about Squamish with a friend the other day.

What trails did you ride and how are conditions up there ?

There are a couple of loops that I like to ride up there, but would have to go around some of those steeeeep rock faces and stunts which would be pretty treacherous and even downright deathly right now.

On the topic of guides...
My experience with guides is that whenever I've ridden with someone who had one, I'll look at my map and usually always end up ridding the routes backwards or looping onto more interesting routes.
So, just in case anyone were to ask me, I'd say, "GUIDES, SHMIDES !!!"

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
Good stuff.

zdfg said:

Plenty of excellent riding in Squamish right now. :p

Skiing in Whistler sucks though. :mad:
Z, you have a very creative eye and capture yourself really well. I'll give you 1 and 3/4's thumbs up. Anytime you can mix Sublime in with biking and shadow boxing has to account for something. How I'm not sure. :confused: lol.

EB, you smell a night ride up there?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was talking about Squamish with a friend the other day.

What trails did you ride and how are conditions up there ?

There are a couple of loops that I like to ride up there, but would have to go around some of those steeeeep rock faces and stunts which would be pretty treacherous and even downright deathly right now.

On the topic of guides...
My experience with guides is that whenever I've ridden with someone who had one, I'll look at my map and usually always end up ridding the routes backwards or looping onto more interesting routes.
So, just in case anyone were to ask me, I'd say, "GUIDES, SHMIDES !!!"
That was zdfg who mentioned Squamish.

As for guides, I understand the sentiment BUT they sure can come in handy hours from home, when you don't wanna risk a poor return for all the driving -- at least they usually give a pretty good idea of what to expect -- or when you're just lookin' for new ideas. You can always mix things up later or use your map if you're already familiar with the area. They're not perfect but on the whole some of us owe John Zilly and Tom Kirkendall for some really FINE suggestions. :-]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts