Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BMX:Our Shining Future
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the east side of the dam there is a road open during daylight hours. It's not very long but it's scenic and nobody is there save the Department Of Homeland Security killing time in their pickup trucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
cool my grand parents live there and every time I go (which is not very often) I have looked for some trails but never really found anything. next time I go I want to bring my bike.

·
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Curious Quarry

Thanks Verve. On this road lies an enormous stone quarry. The rocks from the quarry are lined up in a row for miles. Twenty ton monsters.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tone No Balone said:
Washington state....

Try google........

The internet....

It's a big world out there....

oh, thanks.
working in that field, I was hoping the OP would share some personal insight on the place/dam. Something I wouldn't get from google, know what i mean?

p.s.- I'm currently on the internet.

·
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I Think I Know What You Mean

What does OP stand for? Grand Coulee Dam is one of several huge dam projects on the Columbia River and it's upstream tributaries. They were public works projects and they produce a huge amount of electricity, something that caused power intensive industries to settle in their areas, such as Boing, Google, etc. Grand Coulee is one of the biggest and it is in north central Washington and lies on the south border of the Colville Indian Reservation. Like most of these dams there is a small government designed and built town right near it. These towns are kind of idylic, like Fort Peck in eastern Montana. What I wish I had was a map of Grand Coulee and the dirt roads in the vicinity. Those are what are kind of cool bike riding. Unfortunately you can't ride OVER the dam which would be a blast. It would be excellent kyaking/canoeing if it weren't too windy, which central Washington can be. I hit Grand Coulee on my way back from Lopez and the road trip from Anacortes WA taking US 20 to Omak and then 155 to Grand Coulee is HIGHLY recommended. Wow. You'll have a sore neck at the end of that one.

Here is a few shots of an abandoned rest area on that dirt road. That last shot is fer you Tone.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks DA!
Just what I was "searching" for!
Looks like a neat area, great pics too. :thumbsup:

p.s.- Thirty-three turbines producing 7000mw/h is just awesome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts