Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Niyeeece...That shore shot is dope. I think we all need to do a MTBR Group trip and crash on EIO's and EBX's floor, then hit up the shore.:thumbsup:

·
Hisforever
1,859 Posts
I hope you like sleeping with Trail Dogs;)

Wheres EBX?

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
EBX will chime in here sooner or later, but he really digs it.

My only concern about that design is the potential brake jack factor, but EB says he doesn't notice any. The man rips it up, so I gotta take his word for it.

Overall the T boys build some pretty solid fare and they're good fellas on top of that.
Unfortunately for me, their bikes are a little too short along the TT.

Attachments

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Love it.

So, I've had my Gran Mal a couple of months now and I really love it. It's also saved my ass on a few miscalculations so the extra cush is paying for itself while I still move up the learning curve on bigger stuff.

I haven't done any changes to the angles and have left it in the middle position on the back chainstay position. I could slacken or steepen the angles if I adjust those, but it feels really nice where it is so no need at this point. Also, I've kept the travel adjust in the long mode (8.7" I think). The big DHX 5 (9.5" x 3") makes the rear end so compliant that I've only noticed mild brake jack on a few of the super fast Whistler trails like on Upper / Lower Whistler DH. Stuff liike A-Line and Dirt Merchant, it's been a non-factor, probably because I'm not really braking on those.....with this much travel, it's point and shoot and fuggetaboutit. I've got a 300# spring (I'm ~165-170 with gear) and I might pick up a 350 just to see how that impacts the small bump compliance because I'm running my bottom out pretty far in to help it ramp up on the bigger stuff. Regardless, I don't think I'm pushing the bike at this point.

The rear of this bike is stiff and that's something I didn't think I'd notice as much, but the 150 x 12 through axle really helps stiffen it up and it just frickin' rails through the rocky shite. We did a couple of rips down a trail called Ned's atomic Dustbin last weekend on Seymour. The trail is a intermediate shore trail, but with more speed, there's lots of opportunities for f*ckups with the wrong line selection and there's many consecutive 2 foot drops that come up on you quick with and the bike was totally ripping down that trail last week - even with many bad line choices on my part. Also, the wheelbase is pretty long on this bike and that really lends itself to ripping down the fast stuff, although it can make it a challenge on the tighter skinnies on the Shore. My setup offsets that with the singlecrowns Travis I'm running and I've not really had issues on the skinnies except ones where I'd have problems on my old bike and that's rider issues, not the bike.

Due to the nature of the trails I ride, I have a dual ring setup with a Blackspire Stinger chainguide (similar to the LRP) and I'm running a 22-36T up front. This combo gives me the best of both worlds....I can climb the stuff we need to climb in granny and rail stuff at Whistler. This leads me to the one hiccup on this bike. Kevin and Kyle had meant to spec the first production run with cable stops and guides for a front derailleur, but there was a mixup at the factory and they didn't come with them. So, to run a dual ring setup, you've got to mount a problem solver cable stop on the seattube and put a couple of stick-on cable guids for the front derailleur. Not a biggie as it looks and works fine, but they're going to address that with the next production run on the Gran Mal. Believe it or not, with the propedal cranked up, this bike climbs a LOT better than most people would think. I've got mine built at 43 lbs. and we did 4 laps on Fromme last Friday (doing laps up top on UOC and 7th) and the bike felt good all day.

Overall, the bike rides really well, but this is the first true big bike I've owned as my Stinky Primo was an older 6" model and, while it handled tons of abuse, the extra squish is noticeable on this bike. At this point, I'd say Kevin and Kyle have a hit on their hands and it's a bike that I feel is going to really help me progress as a rider due to the extra confidence I have on super fast stuff, bigger jumps/gaps and hitting drops that might have made me think twice before.

I'll be getting a lot of days in Whistler on it this year and a couple of weeks in the bike park in Les Gets and Chamonix for my honeymoon, so I should have a good sense of the bike's true capabilities by end of the summer. Right now, I give it two thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers,
EBX

P.S. Reamer.....as Shaheeb pointed out, my floor space is wide open if you don't mind sharing it with my trail doggies - Baker and Shasta. ;)

Attachments

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
A few more pics.....

Some more aboard the Gran Mal.

1. Rock face on Boogie man (Mt. Seymour)
2. 3rd or 4th hit on Crabapple hits.
3. GLC drop
4. Schleyer rock
5. Reamers sleeping partners Shasta and Baker. :D :p

Cheers,
EBX

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ebxtreme said:
Cheers,
EBX

P.S. Reamer.....as Shaheeb pointed out, my floor space is wide open if you don't mind sharing it with my trail doggies - Baker and Shasta. ;)
Werd. Actually I've got a good friend who runs the bike shop in Puyallup so when he finally sets his date for his wedding, I'll be out there fo shizzle. I recognize at least 50% of the stuff in your photo's from when I lived out there, man do miss riding the PNW...nothing else like in stateside IMO...

Anyhow, great write up on the G-Mal, I'm loving the Faith, but that bike still has me drooling in my sleep.:thumbsup:

·
Frequent Flyer
411 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old post, but it's better than a new post I suppose. I'm looking at getting a Transition, and the Gran Mal looks pretty sick. I noticed some of you have it built with a single crown. How does that feel? How much does it affect the front end, i.e. ease of pulling up the front end? Anyone got any more build pics on the Gran Mal? Love to see em.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ebxtreme said:
Some more aboard the Gran Mal.

1. Rock face on Boogie man (Mt. Seymour)
2. 3rd or 4th hit on Crabapple hits.
3. GLC drop
4. Schleyer rock
5. Reamers sleeping partners Shasta and Baker. :D :p

Cheers,
EBX
Are those Staffy Bulls in that last pic?

·
Hisforever
1,859 Posts
The easiest answer is that the front end will be lighter with the SC on the front as opposed to a dual crown.

66, travis, 36, lyric? theres some options to choose from.

·
high school loser
1,313 Posts
it looks cool

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Dr. Billy Bad A**, from th' http://g.msn.com/9SE/1?http://www.h...71f32b1b7833be2&POS=2&CM=WPU&CE=1&CS=AWP&SR=1 out of Hickory NC says the only thing he doesn't like about his Gran Mal is the overall length for skinnys & stunts, otherwise he loves it. He also rides a Preston & a Trail or Park which he loves. He just got back from a 2 week stint in Canuckland. There is write up on his & Wild Willys trip into BC. Yeah he's somewhat sponsered by Transition.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
cake96861 said:
Are those Staffy Bulls in that last pic?
Nope, one's a black lab / Ridgeback mix and the other (facing the camera) is a black lab / Dane mix.

Freerider Forever said:
Sorry to drag up an old post, but it's better than a new post I suppose. I'm looking at getting a Transition, and the Gran Mal looks pretty sick. I noticed some of you have it built with a single crown. How does that feel? How much does it affect the front end, i.e. ease of pulling up the front end?
I'm sold on long-travel singlecrowns. I don't do Rampage sized hucks and I'm not a huge guy. The last two singlecrowns (66RC and Travis) feel better than my old Super T did and I don't notice any flex. I think a lot of guys feel like they need a big dual crown fork for doing jumps and drops when the newer SC forks are more than capable. I also like the added benefits of the singlecrown like lighter weight and better turning radius....especially on the longer bike. If you're into doing X-ups, that's a 3rd benefit.

EBX

1 - 15 of 15 Posts