Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna pickup a used Gran Mal and it comes with a 9.5x3" shock, I understand that the lev ratio will change between the shock mounts on the linkage but will the lev ratio also change between the chainstay positions? Probably run it in the middle setting and use both travel options, trying to fiqure out the spring wt I need, thx!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I've seen that, thx, guess I wasn't sure if the change in travel between the chainstay pos's would affect the lev ratio and spring wt I need, seems like it's just a function of geometry change which is shortening the stroke of the shock.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
RR, the two positions on the rockers will change the travel/rate and you can firm it up if you run it on the upper position or you can run it softer in the lower setting. It's not a huge difference, but it does make a difference, imo.

The chainstay positions will have a slight effect on travel as well, but more so on the BB height and head angle. If you run the 9.5 x 3" stroke shock, however, you limit your options with the chainstay option....you can't run it in the further hole in the back or your tire will hit the seattube. This was part of the reason I went to a 8.75 x 2.75 CCDB this year (although, we'll see how well that works).

As for the right spring...what's your weight with gear? I'm about 170 with gear and run a 300# spring with 35% sag. I could probably run a 350, but this is my big bike after all so I like the extra plushness.

Cheers,
EB

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
RR

Good choice in frame. Much better than the "other" frame you were considering....which I ended up selling anyway :rolleyes: .

cheers

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thx eb, this is the shock(Manitou 4way) that comes with the frame so I'm gonna give it a try, might try something else later tho, I saw your original post about the smaller shock length, makes sense.

I'm around 220 probably w/gear, the seller is around 20lbs lighter and was running a 400. My calc's are not coming up with the same spring wts you and the seller use(at your weights) so that's why I'm asking about the right lev ratio to use to figure the spring I need.

From the site I'm getting 8.2" and 7" travel in middle CS pos(probably the geo I want) which makes for 2.7 and 2.3 lev ratios, so that's a 500 or 600lb spring??

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
geolover said:
RR

Good choice in frame. Much better than the "other" frame you were considering....which I ended up selling anyway :rolleyes: .

cheers
Oh well, sure looked nice, there were several others as well BTW, I was kinda wondering why there were 3-4 for sale already but after talking to you it made sense. What are you going with as a replacement?

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
rroeder said:
Oh well, sure looked nice, there were several others as well BTW, I was kinda wondering why there were 3-4 for sale already but after talking to you it made sense. What are you going with as a replacement?
Got a killer deal on one of these: LINKY

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice, would of considered one of those too but they are hard to find used, guess that's a good sign. I scored a Boxxer as well, looking forward to this build!

·
Registered
13 Posts
rroeder - At 200lbs geared I had a #450 on my Mal in the long travel 8.2" setting. It was super plush on upper Whistler but soft on the lower mountain. Would have been able to run a #500 easy. I think #550 would be a good starting point for you for a good all around spring.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rosetime said:
rroeder - At 200lbs geared I had a #450 on my Mal in the long travel 8.2" setting. It was super plush on upper Whistler but soft on the lower mountain. Would have been able to run a #500 easy. I think #550 would be a good starting point for you for a good all around spring.
Thx, I will try a 550 and see how it feels

·
Hisforever
1,860 Posts
gran Mal? sheeeesh, with the Go ride frame deals right now i figured you would get one of them Highlines!

:)

Its definetly not a Ghey bike

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SHAHEEB said:
gran Mal? sheeeesh, with the Go ride frame deals right now i figured you would get one of them Highlines!

:)

Its definetly not a Ghey bike
What are you talking about?, Highlines are the gheyest bike ever!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FoShizzle said:
p.s. what color I9s are you going to run?
Purple and green with Zebra striped polka dots

You 2 bored since there are no juicy emails from the haters?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
rroeder said:
Purple and green with Zebra striped polka dots

You 2 bored since there are no juicy emails from the haters?
seriously though....thats a pretty psick bike.

and plus, doesnt ebextreme ride a transition? he is totally dreamy!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got her finished!

Can't wait to get out on it, hopefully break it in this week. BTW, I went with the 550 spring and it feels firm, should be the right spring weight for my size tho. I set it up with a front der for some local stuff. 44.7lbs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts