Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find a definitive answer in the transition website about running a front der. on a gran mal. Anyone know if it is possible and if it is then what pull and swing der you would use. I would thing you need to use the saint since it 83mm bb but I'm not even sure it is possible.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
njhcx4xlife said:
I can't find a definitive answer in the transition website about running a front der. on a gran mal. Anyone know if it is possible and if it is then what pull and swing der you would use. I would thing you need to use the saint since it 83mm bb but I'm not even sure it is possible.
you'll probably need one of these puppies:

http://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo.net/derclamwitpu.html

the one i got cost $25 :eek: and is:
Cable Stop, clamp on for 2 cables 1.375"

i got it from a shop in Kansas, it was really hard tracking this part down, he only had two left when i got it last year....

pm me and i'll send you his email.

as far as cable routing, you're on your own, i just routed mine alongside the rear brake hose.

Attachments

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
njhcx4xlife said:
You mean where it says "Front Derailleur Compatible" and you can see the front derailleur cable mount? :)

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtb_biker said:
You mean where it says "Front Derailleur Compatible" and you can see the front derailleur cable mount? :)
good call except I edited my post before you said that since I saw where it says you can run a front der. ;) In you ultimate wisdom I you would happen to know which swing it would use do you (top swing or down swing). I'm 100% sure that isn't on the website.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
njhcx4xlife said:
The saint will work better because of the longer throw, but I'm running a LX with no issues with 2 chainrings and a bashguard. Top Pull - Bottom swing, btw.

As Misctwo said, you will need an add on cable stop and cable guides to run a front der. if you have an '06.

The '07's will be coming with a cable stop and guides welded onto the frame. If you're buying your frame from Transition, they'll sell you a Problem Solver cable stop for cheap and it takes 5 minutes to install it. I also run 2 stick on cable guides along my top tube (slightly underneath), and one on top of the cable stop and run full length cable housing through those (see pic below). Of course, if you get an '07, you'll be good to go.

One other tip. When you install your front derailleur, you'll want to ensure that it's high enough on the seattube that it doesn't hit the chainstay upon full compression. I installed my derailleur where I thought it needed to be and then removed the spring off my shock and fully compressed the backend to make sure there wasn't any interference upon bottom out.

Cheers,
EBX

Attachments

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
getting white with either a rocco or a dhx, prob a dhx. getting all the parts my self but they consist of a boxxer, x-9/x.0 drivetrain. saint cranks, hope rear hub and atom lab rims. some thomson stuff. dangerboy levers, bar ends and hope rotors to match....and a whole bunch of other crap. When it is done it will certainly be posted.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
njhcx4xlife said:
Thanks for the info. The frame is coming direct from transition in a week or so which leads me to believe it will have cable stops and guides. If not I can handle making it work.
No problem. We need to climb to get to much of our best trails locally, on the shore and in Whistler (not bike park obviously), so having the front derailleur was a must have for me. If you're getting an '07, you're all set to go.

As for the shock, I'd seriously consider the Roco....a couple of buddies have them on their Highlines and they're really nice. I've got no complaints with the DHX, but I'd be curious to try the Roco on the GM.

EBX

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.