Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been i bit out of commission, only riding out there once a week or so. there was talk of a club forming. has that happened yet? it would great to get some events going out there.

i have ridden many different trails at this point and Graham is still the best.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
Hey scuuder3

Not sure about the club forming, in fact I have not ridden out there yet either. That will change on Sunday, plan on heading out with a couple of buds and posibbly the wifee. Plan on hitting 2-3 loops or so.

I have a transition Dirtbag (41lbs) and a Giant VT (29lbs) - I hear there are some FR features out there, do the features warrant the Dirtbag? I am sure that the VT can handle the trail and then some, but if it there is any serious and/or moderate stunts I prefer to yield the DB. What your thoughts?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the trail bike would be fine, no need for the dirtbag. there aren't too many jumps but there are plenty of hills to climb so you will be better off with the Giant. the lighter the bike the better out there. have fun and be safe.

·
Papa T
273 Posts
There is still not a club formed. Originally, I brought the subject up in 2006 when half of the trail had to be reworked due to some tree farming. Earlier this year I brought the subject up again but I have been too busy. My first kid was just born a few days ago and with my workload and child-rearing duties picking up, I still will not be able to get the ball rolling.

Due to lack of action some of the locals had an informal meeting back in August but from what I heard, the verdict was no club. The trail itself is kept up well by the local riders who have open communication lines with the landowner as well as Flager County who manages the area for the landowner. Several of us have been out there from day 1 and feel paternal towards the trail to say the least. We have been asked in the past by the FWC and sheriffs to police the area and keep a handle on stunt building, vandalism and morons. ;)

As far as getting some events rolling out there, that is a subject that has been discussed before amongst the peeps who created the trail. We had talked about organizing some work days, but the trail is well maintained. Most work days are done by locals who will ride and then work or just take a day off and work a section or three that needs it. The landowner periodically provides a load or two of limestone that eventually gets spread on to the really nasty sugar sand sections. There has been talk of getting permission to use a vehicle to move some limestone to further areas that are too far to use a wheelbarrow with.

As far as races (not sure if you even meant this type of event), I think most are of the opinion that an organized race of any size may cause quite a bit of erosion and/or trail-braiding. Other concerns would be removal of obstacles and litter and such. As well as a small parking lot, no restrooms. In order to get permission from Flagler County, there would possibly be liability issues and other concerns. I would hate to see the boat get rocked too much where they would feel the need to close the trail or make it off-limits.

My opinion is we have a good thing going and I would like to keep it the way it is and enjoy riding it with friends and family. I can see a lot of negatives that would come with any type of organized race out there. I still think that we could have an organized workday out there sometime if/when we have a huge amount of limestone to spread.

NB:cool:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey NB this is Tom. I thought that may be you, was sure after the baby part. how is everyone doing? i hope they are both happy and healthy, wish them our best. and congratulations to you!

as for the trail, i do use it a lot and don't mind pitching in so if you guys need it just me know and i will be there to help. the bike doctor was out today with a few guys working on the backside of the trail. i think they added in a log pyramid obstacle. the trail rode nice today, great weather.

the reason for my OP was i was looking at what they do in NSB @ spruce creek. looks like they have cool event/bbqs that could be fun, but you are right there are many issues to contend with.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
it sounds like you guys have a pretty good situation with teh trail up there, and I'm sure a good landowner doesn't hurt. A word of warning, if I was you I'd check out the story of the Fort Pierce Trail.

airbornemtb.org

·
Jackalope Hunter
934 Posts
Me and Dirtman rode GS for the first time yesterday and I gotta say, it was a blast. It was pretty sandy (which I was expecting) but other than that it was a great trail. Nice flow and good mix of stunts. Suprising amount of elevation with well thought out use of limited terrain. Props to those who built it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is a great trail. i have ridden many others but it is still my favorite. the combination of jumps, drops, uphill climbs and distance is a good mix. it is as good or better than anything else i have ridden. the guys that do the maintenance do a great job!

·
\m/{-_-}\m/
726 Posts
I agree. I love Graham Swamp more than any trail I've ridden in FL. Some people will probably flame me for this but I like it better than Santos. It's the best mix of every kind of riding in one trail. Climbs, jumps, drops, flat sections, technical sections, rock, roots, sand and everything else. What more could you want?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Graham is a fun place to ride. I think we need some other stuff out there like a see-saw and a rhythm jump section. there is plenty of room to do it. If we can put a see-saw out there I would be willing to help build it.

·
Papa T
273 Posts
I agree with you guys, GS is my favorite trail out of the ones I have ridden. I have never been to the TOE, and never will now, or a lot of others like Alafia, Carter Road, Markham. Perhaps someday, but I prefer to not travel too often to ride. I only go to Santos like once or twice a year. It is great having a quality local trail just minutes away.

Jasontech,

The whole premise of Graham Swamp is that it is located on Conservation Land owned by St. Johns River Water Management District. It is really not a sanctioned park but more of a natural recreation area for hiking/biking. That land is the headwaters for the the Bulow Creek system. They have been exemplary in letting us make a trail out there. The natural terrain provides a lot of challenges without having to build stunts with lumber or bring in equipment to create dirt jumps. They really frown on using lumber to constuct stunts. They have come out in the past and torn down and filled in stunts that were shoddily created and posed liability issues.

I too would like to see a teeter-totter of some type but it would need to be made from logs and there really isn't any deadfall cedar that could be used for that. Pine logs even lighter knot would only last a year or two tops. If you run into Mickey out there, discuss the idea with him. We have been very vigilant in removing stunts that would cause any irritation to the landowner.

Happy Holidays to all. I hope we get some rain soon out there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Rode it a few weeks ago for the first time and its was an awesome trail. I have rode most of the main trails in FL (except the panhandle) and would rank it near the top.

#1 Santos - Vortex
Alafia - Moonscape
Carter
Markham
Grahams Swamp
Boyette
Jimmie Cottons
North Port Ladyslipper
(fun factor decreases by 10 below this line)
Croom
Oleta
Flatwoods
Quiet Waters
Hanna Park

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.