Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the request of Pinguin, I have been talking to Grab On about their MTN-1 grips. These were some of the earliest grips and are still being offered today. The problem with the new ones is in the foam density: the current grips are an 18-24 pound density foam while the original grips used 46 pound foam. So the current grips are only about 1/2 the density of the originals so they have a totally different feel and wear out faster. The current grips are available most places for about $10 a pair. According to Grab On, the better foam doubles the materials cost so the original formula grips would be $15 a pair. I figured it would be a good idea to see if their is much interest out there before ordering 10 pairs of these things.

Let me know.

·
Proud 2 Times BOTM Looser
173 Posts
I don't feel a big difference on the density.
But the quality and the shape are completely different. The original is much rougher and slightly thicker than the new one.
Nonetheless I purchased 5 pair (like on Blackburn Mountain cages).
I would appreciate to spend 15$ on an authentic ones.

·
He be a moose too.
2,174 Posts
There is a major difference between the original density and what they are making now, night and day. I bought a pair a while ago and didn't like the low density foam. A couple of years ago, they came out briefly with the original density. I bought one and it was just like the original. I didn't see a need to stock up, but "briefly" was the operative word.

I've been talking to Grabon over the last two years now and then about the original formula and finally Charley at Grabon said, "Yeah, I think we can do a special run." I replied, "I think I know someone who can help make this happen" and called Jeff. Hopefully, hopefully

Now, if we all start calling Specialized about that re-release of Ground Controls....

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
Put me down for at least a couple of pairs too. I have an original set on my "unknown" bike and love the way they feel. I think they'd be perfect for my single speed, not to mention any future VRC builds.

·
Thumbs Up!
759 Posts
First Flight said:
I figured it would be a good idea to see if their is much interest out there before ordering 10 pairs of these things.

Let me know.
Jeff did you mean 100 pair? sounds like 10 would be a small amount to do a special run.

I'm in for a handful :thumbsup:

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
J Ro said:
Jeff did you mean 100 pair? sounds like 10 would be a small amount to do a special run.

I'm in for a handful :thumbsup:
Yep, move the decimal over one. I ordered 100 pairs of then today so hopefully ya'll were serious! Should be here in a couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.