Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
i volunteered to try and map out the trails this year. i have an old magellan gps, but only understand the basic instructions on it.
this year i would like to get a new or more update gps, so if i go biking for more then 4 or 5 hours it wouldnt take me more then 6 hours to get back.

i have checked out www.thegpsstore.com and some of the handheld gps's look pretty good.
http://www.thegpsstore.com/GPS-Handheld-Mapping.asp

anyone use gps or recommend any?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use a Garmin GPSMAP 76CS for work and biking, and I couldn't imagine a GPS unit getting any better than that. Of course, it's expensive ($549 on gpsstore.com), but I get to charge it out whenever I do field work, so mine has actually paid for itself.

If you're willing to pay for it, I would also recommend the Garmin GPSMAP 76. I used that for 3 years before I got the 76CS, and it also worked very well. Both are waterproof, have the capability to download maps, and THEY FLOAT!!!

You're on the right track...thegpsstore.com is the cheapest you'll find GPS and accessories. If you go with the Garmin, I suggest you buy the topo CD's and bike handlebar mount from thegpsstore.com as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure if it is still on, but TVNAV had Garmin GPSMAP 60 series on sale this week. I recommend either it or the 76. 76 is larger but floats (Bet you didn't know that yet :D) and has more memory (not an issue IMHO).

Garmin is the only way to fly if you start to use advanced functions. Magellin also has nice stuff, but less costomizable.

G

·
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista, my brother has a Magellan. After using both, the Garmin seems easier to use. You don't need a $350 GPS unless you really need it, I think a $100 Garmin eTrex would do the job. If you get the topo software for about $100, that's all you should need. You can download the info from your GPS to your topo program on your computer, make a screen grab, that should do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also have the GPSMAP 76CS and really like it. For mapping routes, the National Geographic State maps to download the tracks to are nice.

When I bought mine a month ago. Amazon.com was the cheapest place I found.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll check the local stores for any info on any gps models available,
if theres nothing then i'll probably order one of those listed here.
thanks for the feedback and information people.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
This might help...

Roam said:
hello,
i volunteered to try and map out the trails this year. i have an old magellan gps, but only understand the basic instructions on it.
this year i would like to get a new or more update gps, so if i go biking for more then 4 or 5 hours it wouldnt take me more then 6 hours to get back.

i have checked out www.thegpsstore.com and some of the handheld gps's look pretty good.
http://www.thegpsstore.com/GPS-Handheld-Mapping.asp

anyone use gps or recommend any?
As a mapping/GIS nerd, I can recommend this piece of software to download and manipulate your files: http://gpsu.co.uk/. This will save you the $100 software from Garmin to do the same thing! I actually have it on the laptop I'm typing on right now!

I've tried several different brands/units over the years and the $100 eTrex works pretty well for just about anything you'll be doing.

Also, I picked up the data cord and dc adapter on Ebay for about 15 bucks a piece. The data cord was even still in the original Garmin blister package but about 1/2 the price!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
im looking for any basic GPS system, handheld, just to get me where im going on the trails, so any recomndations would be great. and if anyone feels like typing alot, what are the things i SHOULD be looking for in a GPS system

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i've decided on a gps model. its the megellan explorist 400.
there was a store that had about 16 different gps models:
- Garmin e-trex legend colour
- Garmin e-trex
- Garmin forerunner 201
- Garmin gps V
- Garmin map 60C colour
- Garmin gps 72
- Garmin e-trex legend map
- Garmin e-trex summit
- Garmin map 76
- Garmin Rino 120 Gps/FRS
- Magellan meridien se
- Magellan explorist 100
- Magellan explorist 200
- Magellan explorist 400
- Magellan explorist 500
- Garmin foretrex 101

has anyone tried any of those.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I am using a Garmin GPS 60 with a Gilsson external antenna. Great for mapping trails.

This is the bottom of the "GPS" model range. Does not have the map overlay or color. Neither are needed for trail work. Cost is under $200.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've been using the original yellow Garmin Etrex & now have a Legend. Very easy to learn & the tracks feature is great for finding your way back to the trailhead.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
revrnd said:
I've been using the original yellow Garmin Etrex & now have a Legend. Very easy to learn & the tracks feature is great for finding your way back to the trailhead.
My GPS 60 replaced an etrex Summit.

The 60 has a larger screen, easier to use buttons and navigation, and better reception even without the external antenna. and a lower price.

·
Braunstein Frere
215 Posts
MTBdave said:
im looking for any basic GPS system, handheld, just to get me where im going on the trails, so any recomndations would be great. and if anyone feels like typing alot, what are the things i SHOULD be looking for in a GPS system
Just go to the garmin Website and browse, then go to Amazon.com and research prices. :eek: Also:
http://www.mountainbiketales.com/noreaster2.htm

G

·
I need software for my Garmin eTrex Vista and PC. I am having a real tough time deciding. The Garmin Mapsource maps can be downloaded to the GPS, but they are really crappy(low level of detail). The National Geographic TOPO! maps are good, you only get one state for $100, kind of steep and you can't download them to the GPS(REI has 25% off the TOPO! maps from 5/6/05 to 5/15/05). Delorme software looks cool and you can get half the USA for about $40, but no loading to the GPS.
I've been trying to decide for some time, it's a real toss up.

·
Chilling out
6,036 Posts
I use a Garmin Rino pretty heavily.

The memory for tracklog recording (10k points) is very handy, the accuracy is good.

I actually like having the mapping in the gps, as a backup to the paper maps, but Shiggy is right that it is not absolutely necessary.

I actually have come to prefer the externalized antenna models, they just seem to get slightly better reception (when I've done rides/hikes with friends with eTrex style units I've had better signal & accuracy than them in many cases).

Lots of fairly decent software out there for managing your gps data and getting it off the machine, no NEED for the Garmin stuff, but the MapSource product is decent and supported.

I've like the lazy way of making maps with the tracks by using the TopoFusion software (google for a link to the author, not free but cheap). Examples can be found over here ...

http://www.jumponnet.us/tjump/cycling/cokt05/gps/index.html

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.