Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pulling this stuff out of my derailleur and spokes. And then it donned on me. I'm passionately hating this stuff right now.

Attachments

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
About 7 ot 8 years ago, four of us were camping at Tea Creek. We rode Red Run that day and were constantly stopping to remove yards of white thread from our chain rings, derailleurs, and cassettes. I noticed the thin line running the length of the trail, literally miles of the stuff. We couldn't figure out why it was there, what it was, or how it could have gotten there in mass. I thought maybe someone's sock had unraveled as they hiked, but that didn't seem plausible. We were dumbfounded and confounded.

Later that day we sat around at camp. A ranger stopped by to say hello. He asked what we had rode that day. My friend Deb explained that we rode Red Run. He asked how the ride was. She said, "It was great, except some idiot left miles of thread on the trail that constantly got sucked up into our bikes." The ranger's smile disappeared from his face as he stated, "That idiot was me."

I haven't seen any of the stuff for years around here, so maybe the comment had enough impact that the local Forest Service types found a better way to estimate the length of trails.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
1,073 Posts
Fishing Line

When I was a kid in the 60's (yep, I'm that old), I used to ride my bike to the local fishing hole & get monofilament fishing line wrapped around the sprocket & rear hub (rode a single speed with coaster brakes in those days). I had no love for the litterbugs who had left it. My biggest complaint was that cutting all the stuff off ate into my fishing time. It wasn't until years later (in the "enlightened" 70's) that we found out there was a hazard to birds & other wildlife getting tangled up in it. I'm surprised a ranger wouldn't have the same concerns about the thread.:nono:

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Fishing line is a problem during the summers on our local trails as well, something I never look forward to as the fishing season approaches. Because the local trails are part of an urban trail system of Philadelphia, there is relatively high user-traffic and with that a greater number of people/pigs who just don't give a crap about their mess.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
pahearn said:
Fishing line is a problem during the summers on our local trails as well, something I never look forward to as the fishing season approaches. Because the local trails are part of an urban trail system of Philadelphia, there is relatively high user-traffic and with that a greater number of people/pigs who just don't give a crap about their mess.
The land manager of the trails I ride through (freewheeling distance from my drive) says the biggest problem is caused by fishing people. I see their mess (coffee cups, lure packets, worm cups, line, dead fish, broken branches, more line, firepits, toilet paper, crap {human and dog} etc) as I ride by. If mountanbikers caused 1/10th of this mess we'd be banned in a heartbeat.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After I posted this, I thought it might have been too obscure. For years I wondered what the thread was for. I thought maybe it was so they could backtrack and not get lost. Then I looked at a bobbin and realized it was something like a quarter mile of thread. Oh, I got it.

But yesterday, I was riding home and ******* GPS hit me.

The stuff is everywhere here. And it's all at neck level. So I was on my longest ever bushwack, AND fending off the dreaded string.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mike T. said:
The land manager of the trails I ride through (freewheeling distance from my drive) says the biggest problem is caused by fishing people. I see their mess (coffee cups, lure packets, worm cups, line, dead fish, broken branches, more line, firepits, toilet paper, crap {human and dog} etc) as I ride by. If mountanbikers caused 1/10th of this mess we'd be banned in a heartbeat.
funny how that works...:rolleyes:

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
sumguy1 said:
Goggle "Hip Chain".

That's what you're talking about. It's a surveyors tool for measuring distances.
Thanks, was curious. I've never seen such a device or measuring technique before, guess that the forest rangers have the latest and greatest technologies at their dispossal.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Batteries not needed.

Oh, I see you've got the left handed version.

I'm afraid you've confused ******* with something more serious. I don't need reminding to drink beer. :)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Got to be joking right - it's way past April 1st, seriously :madman: Haven't they heard of the measuring wheel that construction and such use for measuring :madman:
DiRt DeViL said:
Thanks, was curious. I've never seen such a device or measuring technique before, guess that the forest rangers have the latest and greatest technologies at their dispossal.

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
LyNx said:
Got to be joking right - it's way past April 1st, seriously :madman: Haven't they heard of the measuring wheel that construction and such use for measuring :madman:
Those measuring wheels are nearly as expensive and a cheep GPS. And even those
$100 GPS's will track mileage. Can't believe our Forest Service would even think of
using the "Hip Chain".

ODN

·
El Pollo Diablo
1,473 Posts
they figure that they have so many 'hip chains' left over from the 60's, they may as well use them all up before upgrading
:p

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
SnowMongoose said:
they figure that they have so many 'hip chains' left over from the 60's, they may as well use them all up before upgrading
:p
There's probably a regulation somewhere in the Forest Service Manual that states they HAVE to use hip chains to measure trails. Amazing how much government (and any large bureaucracy) works like that.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Gregg K said:
After I posted this, I thought it might have been too obscure. For years I wondered what the thread was for. I thought maybe it was so they could backtrack and not get lost. Then I looked at a bobbin and realized it was something like a quarter mile of thread. Oh, I got it.

But yesterday, I was riding home and ******* GPS hit me.

The stuff is everywhere here. And it's all at neck level. So I was on my longest ever bushwack, AND fending off the dreaded string.
This is really hard to believe.... but for some reason I believe it.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
If I remember correctly, the insulted ranger did tell us that the thread used in the device was made to bio-degrade within a short time (days, not weeks?) but it seemed pretty stupid, even back in the days before inexpensive GPS. Our tax dollars at work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts