Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
born to chill
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I searched high and low for something that could convert a densely packed GPS gpx tracklog down so I could use it on my GPS and found nothing. Go figure that after I write a little utility to do it, I finally find one with a new search... oh well, I don't know how good that one is but mine is simple enough.

So it goes like this, I found a Loon Lake tracklog posted here somewhere, had like 3,500 or so trackpoints, far beyond the capacity of my GPS, so I needed to strip/compress it to fit. This little utility I wrote will take a few arguments and crank out a stripped down gpx you can import into your device however you want.

I guess it reinvents the wheel, but it is super simple and works well for me so I thought I'd share it. Here ya go.

·
born to chill
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mapsource and TCX Converter will do it.
Hrm, I have Garmin Basecamp it couldn't do it, figures... Mapsource costs money, TCX converter however looks cool. Downloading that now thanks :)

edit: That TCX converter is cool as hell... man I wish I found that before I wrote that app. Well, I can use mine at the command line in batches at least... like I'll ever do that... ok I'm trying to justify lol

edit edit: Hrm, well it does seem to have some issues with displaying things in metric vs imperial in spite of settings, but it has a nice GUI. I guess it is just another tool for the box :)

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts

·
born to chill
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Make sure you look at the maps on GPS File Depot too. Most are free and if you are a real map geek, look at the 20 foot contour CA topo and the new CA topo 2011, since it has property ownership information as well. As a trail designer / builder it is invaluable! Great site. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.