Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
I was thinking about that offer which I saw on Garmin's site. The 76CSx is a fine unit but seemed a little bigger than the 60CSx. I ultimately went with the 60CSx on my purchase last week, because of the slightly smaller size.

I gather the 76CSx is good for dual use on biking and boating as it floats. Otherwise, I'm not sure of the advantage over the 60CSx? Both look about the same in terms of features. Why did you choose the 76CSx?

I put my eTrex Vista on the bars for information on the route, and the GPSMap60CSx in the Camelback for tracking. (Yeah, I'm carrying two GPS units for now.) The 60CSx is much more sensitive and has never lost a signal yet. But the Vista is more rugged. Going to one of the worst places for reception, Demo (or SDF) in Santa Cruz, I found the 60CSx never lost reception, whereas the Vista lost reception on long stretches of the lower Hihn's Mill road on the north side of a steep hill with tall trees. (I'll post some comparison tracks somewhere). In contrast, when I got a good signal, the eTrex Vista accuracy wasn't that much different from the 60CSx.

As for ruggedness, I had a bad endo that threw me down a steep hill. My sturdy Heckler bike was badly banged up and had to go to the shop for just about everything (cables, brakes, rotors, derailleurs,...). But the Vista on the handlebars was untouched. In contrast, the 60CSx, "safely" in the camelback, broke off two of the control buttons! I'll have to get a better case for the 60CSx.

EDIT: I just saw you did the Creampuff. Congratulations on that epic ride! :thumbsup:
Can I get your tracks/waypoints for my MTB Oregon trip in that area? (If you have them.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigLarry said:
I was thinking about that offer which I saw on Garmin's site. The 76CSx is a fine unit but seemed a little bigger than the 60CSx. I ultimately went with the 60CSx on my purchase last week, because of the slightly smaller size.

I gather the 76CSx is good for dual use on biking and boating as it floats. Otherwise, I'm not sure of the advantage over the 60CSx? Both look about the same in terms of features. Why did you choose the 76CSx?

I put my eTrex Vista on the bars for information on the route, and the GPSMap60CSx in the Camelback for tracking. (Yeah, I'm carrying two GPS units for now.) The 60CSx is much more sensitive and has never lost a signal yet. But the Vista is more rugged. Going to one of the worst places for reception, Demo (or SDF) in Santa Cruz, I found the 60CSx never lost reception, whereas the Vista lost reception on long stretches of the lower Hihn's Mill road on the north side of a steep hill with tall trees. (I'll post some comparison tracks somewhere). In contrast, when I got a good signal, the eTrex Vista accuracy wasn't that much different from the 60CSx.

As for ruggedness, I had a bad endo that threw me down a steep hill. My sturdy Heckler bike was badly banged up and had to go to the shop for just about everything (cables, brakes, rotors, derailleurs,...). But the Vista on the handlebars was untouched. In contrast, the 60CSx, "safely" in the camelback, broke off two of the control buttons! I'll have to get a better case for the 60CSx.

EDIT: I just saw you did the Creampuff. Congratulations on that epic ride! :thumbsup:
Can I get your tracks/waypoints for my MTB Oregon trip in that area? (If you have them.)
The ability to float was a positive as was size, it's harder to lose. I carry in a Camelbak and it tracks fine. I have carried in a camera case on my belt for easier access - that works too.

The GPX data is in the uploaded ZIP file, let me know if it works. Too bad the CCP was too hot to finish.
 

Attachments

·
We need more wax
Joined
·
307 Posts
Any idea if/when Garmin will offer the SiRF chip in the eTrex series? I prefer the size of the eTrex over the Map 60 series.
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
I Wish!!!

justbob said:
Any idea if/when Garmin will offer the SiRF chip in the eTrex series? I prefer the size of the eTrex over the Map 60 series.
The eTrex line would be perfect if they just had the better SiRFIII receiver. The eTrex Vista Cx and GPSMap 60CSx are near identical except for size.The number of pixels in the color screen are about the same (just smaller), the same expandable memory, the same pages and functions,... It's just that the Vista has a smaller package and smaller screen that's nicer on the handlebars. Most important, the Vista is much more rugged and survives on the bars much better than the 60CSx.
But the better reception of the 60CSx is why I also carry one in the camelback as backup and for track logging. (But even 'safe' in the pack, my brand new 60CSx just snapped off a couple buttons in an endo last week, whereas the Vista did fine on the bars.)

To answer your question. First note Garmin just updated their whole eTrex line with the expandable memory and other features for the 'x' upgrade. They did this at the same time as the 60CSx, which got the better SiRF receiver. But they couldn't do it with the eTrex. Obviously there was a bad engineering issue of some sort. Seeing how they upgrade their lines every 2 or 3 years, it may be a while. If we're lucky it will be sooner, but don't hold your breath. I talked with a Garmin service rep about this a couple weeks ago, and he said it makes sense for them to do it at some point, but he didn't hear of anything in the works. That's why I decided to just go with two GPS units, the sturdy Vista on the bars for use while riding, and the 60CSx for data logging in the pack.
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
Thanks

pacman said:
The ability to float was a positive as was size, it's harder to lose. I carry in a Camelbak and it tracks fine. I have carried in a camera case on my belt for easier access - that works too.

The GPX data is in the uploaded ZIP file, let me know if it works. Too bad the CCP was too hot to finish.
Thanks for the GPX files of Oregon Creampuff. They came through fine. I see from the track points how you had to patch together a number of tracks. Some parts of the track have time info, others don't. It's nice to have that data for my trip there.

We'll see what portions of the ride I do. I think 100 miles and 18,000' of climbing is a perfect ride for me. But I'd do it over 3 days so I enjoy it. :p :smilewinkgrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
BigLarry said:
But the better reception of the 60CSx is why I also carry one in the camelback as backup and for track logging. (But even 'safe' in the pack, my brand new 60CSx just snapped off a couple buttons in an endo last week, whereas the Vista did fine on the bars.)

.
I hear you , Larry. But, to be fair, the 60CSx in your pack was also next to your camera which probably damaged the 60.

I agree that the Vista is more rugged, but so far, my 60CSx has made it through a bunch of jumps on the bars..... and it went flying out of my shoulder pack, bounced on the ground (and was luckily found by TheLaw)..... with nary a scratch.

You should consider a holder that attaches to your camelbak. I noticed that you posted tracks from Demo. I compared mine to yours and noticed that while your Vista and 60 showed similar tracks (except for Hinh Mill Rd), my 60, strapped to my camelbak, showed a lot more detail. The 60 in your camelbak is similar to the vista, but outside, it's much better, imo.
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
I hear you , Larry. But, to be fair, the 60CSx in your pack was also next to your camera which probably damaged the 60.

I agree that the Vista is more rugged, but so far, my 60CSx has made it through a bunch of jumps on the bars..... and it went flying out of my shoulder pack, bounced on the ground (and was luckily found by TheLaw)..... with nary a scratch.

You should consider a holder that attatches to your camelbak. I noticed that you posted tracks from Demo. I compared mine to yours and noticed that while your Vista and 60 showed similar tracks (except for Hinh Mill Rd), my 60, strapped to my camelbak, showed a lot more detail. The 60 in your camelbak is similar to the vista, but outside, it's much better, imo.
Yep, that was a freak accident. The hard camera next to the 60CSx is probably what snapped off the two buttons, along with all my weight crashing down on it. However, the camera wasn't harmed. I need to get a case for the 60CSx, even in the camelback, and separate it from the camera, which will probably prevent damage in the future.

Still, the Vista is no doubt even tougher. One look at the two tells the story. The Vista''s built small, light, and hard like a rock cube, with rubber bumper padding, recessed screen, and no protrusions or buttons or big antennae sticking out like the 60CSx. Also, my years of experience with the Vista on the bars has proven out the Vista's toughness.

That said, the 60CSx probably isn't necessary fragile either, just not as rugged. It's just a harsh environment on a bike. I may eventually try moving it to the bar as an experiment, perhaps on the stem as Dan'ger suggested.

I suspect I got better reception inside the camelback than a pack on the front strap. The thin fabric is nothing compared to my body being in the way of the sky. However, I might try it on the shoulder strap too, just to get easier access. With the good reception of the 60CSx, it may not matter that much either way.

The tracks I posted were the saved tracks, which reduces the number of points to a few hundred to simplify the track image. It's pretty much the same as the original, but less points.

I'll email you my full tracks of the rides for comparison, but I suspect they'll be close to the same as yours anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
I totally agree with you. I do want you to see the section of Hinh Mill that is disparate from your tracks.

You know far more than I about GPS, so I'll be looking to you for an explanation.

Sooooo. Are ye ready to ride? Arrrrrgh :D

I'm currently watching the History Channel regarding Buccaneers.... I'm in a pirate mood :yikes:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top