Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fly High!
1,104 Posts
JrockFeltaz said:
I am in the market for a GPS. What models are people using for creating tracks of their adventures? Is there any topo software that's mac compatible? Most of it seems to be for a PC.

so what you really need is parallels so you can run pc software on your mac!!!
then you can get any gps you want! among other things!!

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
a lot of things can create tracks, but the ability to upload to your unit and it having a screen big enough to be useful is a step up. Avoid heart-rate features (unless you want that) since you will pay for it.

I have a forerunner 201 refurbished off ebay for $60 - at runtime, its not much more than a nice bike computer, but it will let me upload and create tracks on the computer. My ancient garmin etrex vista is AA powered and heavy, but better for using and navigating off my tracks. These are both old units and when they die I will upgrade.

Motionbased is Garmin's web-based software, so it should be Mac-friendly. I don't have more info than that.

·
Administrator
11,966 Posts
forerunner 305.

I use the software that came with it and motionbased online with my mac. Software is better on the PC but motionbased works on both platforms and allows export to kmz type files for google earth overlays etc.

I like wearing it as a watch vs. bike mount. Too expensive of a toy to let my bike fall on.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Ive started using my GPS map 60CX (Garmin). . . its a new beast for me to learn but it's prooving useful and fun. Garmin is pushing the mac software on their site, I've downloaded it all but am yet to try it.

I've managed to save and waypoint one whole trail, and I really like everything else it monitors. I'm looking forward to trying it in the backcountry (when the knee allows). . . Be cool to tally total feet. . .

It's interface is simple enough, it's just learning the tech and what you want it to do. It comes loaded with a full topo map of the US. I am yet to upload a trail to it though, would like to figure that one out.

BTW OT. . . isn't Jakes the s h i t. . .

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Truckee Trash said:
Ive started using my GPS map 60CX (Garmin). . . its a new beast for me to learn but it's prooving useful and fun. Garmin is pushing the mac software on their site, I've downloaded it all but am yet to try it.

I've managed to save and waypoint one whole trail, and I really like everything else it monitors. I'm looking forward to trying it in the backcountry (when the knee allows). . . Be cool to tally total feet. . .

It's interface is simple enough, it's just learning the tech and what you want it to do. It comes loaded with a full topo map of the US. I am yet to upload a trail to it though, would like to figure that one out.

BTW OT. . . isn't Jakes the s h i t. . .
Thanks Truckee! Its mainly for solo backcountry skiing. I just want to able to set waypoints for my solo tours and be able to re-load them back into the unit when I head out on the same tour. The garmins seem to be the best bang for the buck. I don't really care about total vert or heart rate. I am more concerned about not having to hitch hike back to the car after a 10 hour tour.

I think the Juneuary corn harvest is on!

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Truckee Trash said:
Heard from a weather savvy friend that we are looking at a La Nina winter. . . no bueno. . .
It's gonna be interesting to see how this year plays out. Most of the storms didn't make it over the sierra crest. I was originally going up to castle peak yesterday, but coverage was looking pretty thin. Although it is impressive that all the snow we have is only from 2 - 3 storms, its a little alarming looking around at the coverage. The infamous east winds have been doing their damage as well. I hear even the mighty eastside is looking thin.

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
eTrex Legend hcx--I use it every ride and love it when acompanied with Topofusion (not Mac compatible). I bought an extra handlebar mount since some endurance races require you to download the track, I figure what money I used to spend on registration fees goes into doing a free races that are not marked, hence the need for a GPS. I'd recommend you make sure you can get a GPS that is easy to download the tracks and toggle between the options.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.