Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jackass
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I signed up with Bikerpelli to ride the kokopelli trail this may. I had planed on doing this ride two years ago, but life intervened in the most dramatic fashion, and so now I'm finally getting around to doing this ride. I'm supper stoked to be going and am hoping to avoid any sort of similar incidents this year. I plan on getting some maps/quide book but was also wondering if any one here has done the ride before and might have a GPS file they would be willing to share? Please PM me if you do.
Thanks!

·
Shattering Glass
705 Posts
I remember reading your post back then. Nobody in life needs that kind of drama. Your a trooper. The Kokopelli will be right up your alley. It delivers a real mountain biking experience from huge and steep climbs, high tech rock gardens, to superb flowy singletrack presented on the Colorado/Utah desert palette. Wildflowers and rock formations to boot. I also signed up for Bikerpelli today (trip 1) as this is my 5th annual trek in a row, testament to how well this trip is run. The camping is stellar, the staff is dead on...enough said. All you need is good weather now. In '07, it got so bad, constant 30+ headwind, sandstorm, hail, rain, lightning, snow, mud, cold temps, yet most riders were loving it still.

As for gps coordinates, I never kept them, but I can tell you that with some extra singletrack grabbed along the way, I have ridden up to 180 miles and climbed 18,000 feet over the 3 days. The trail is fairly well marked and any questionable areas are easily pointed out to you via morning staff meetings. I don't know of anyone really get lost to this point. I've noticed that at some intersections, The LaSals seem to always be the right direction to go. Where you from anyway as some of us local Longmont Bikerpelliers get together to ride ocasionally, Picture rock to Fort fun. Have a great trip, you deserve it.

·
Yeah, I'll Ride That
103 Posts
With a little Google work it's real easy to find a GPS track for KT. Or you can always build one fairly easily using Topofusion or something similar. In fact, I think the demo version of Topofusion comes with a track for KT. However route finding on KT is real straight forward and if now side trails are taken a GPS isn't really needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The maps they put up each morning give you enough direction to follow the main trail. But there are some optional side trips they recommend where additional maps or GPS could be useful. In particular, there is one option to ride the Western Rim. Everybody that did that section was very happy they did (great views), but it's not as easy to follow, and historically I think a few people have gotten lost on that part and rolled into camp very late.

·
hehe ...you said "member"
1,121 Posts
Best of luck. Coincidentally, just talked to a friend at work today who is doing the same ride with you in May - I'm jealous for sure!

·
"I want it now!"
113 Posts
Forget GPS

Bring your snow suit! No, seriously we did get snowed out a couple years ago. Do bring gear for ALL types of weather. They are a bare-bones outfitter and provide no shelter - unless you consider eating dinner under a Ryder box truck shelter. Be prepared and have fun!

·
Shattering Glass
705 Posts
Veruca Salt said:
Bring your snow suit! No, seriously we did get snowed out a couple years ago. Do bring gear for ALL types of weather. They are a bare-bones outfitter and provide no shelter - unless you consider eating dinner under a Ryder box truck shelter. Be prepared and have fun!
Actually it wasn't snowed out. Everyone rode through the snow, mud, 40+ headwind, freezing temps, rain and whatever else the desert through at them for 140 miles and rolled into Moab knowing you just put the E in epic. It was awesome. The weather at this point has historically been 50-50 for the last 4 years. Just bring some Goretex and a puffy.;)

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
GPS track

If you really can't find one anywhere else, I have one stashed somewhere. Enjoy the trail.

BTW I know more than a few experienced ultra racers who've gotten "turned around"...albeit at night. So just keep paying attention and you'll have no issues.

·
Shattering Glass
705 Posts
Pivvay said:
If you really can't find one anywhere else, I have one stashed somewhere. Enjoy the trail.

BTW I know more than a few experienced ultra racers who've gotten "turned around"...albeit at night. So just keep paying attention and you'll have no issues.
2 years ago, while on Bikerpelli, I ran into Kit Morrison (solo) going the other way by. I asked if she was with the group and she's like, no I'm just training for the KTR. She was way cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.