Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Back in the saddle
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am logging some features on the XTERRA Gowdy MTB race course. Putting together a longer, more complete version, but here is a little teaser I just uploaded on Vimeo. It's a bit grainy.

:thumbsup:As a nod to one of my favorite M.A.S.H. episodes "5 O'clock Charlie", this video, "One Minute To Phil" is where I was letting my buddy get ahead of me so I could go more full speed, and right when I caught up to him, he ate poo on a root on the side of the trail. A free "Snickers" bar to the first person to ID the music. Enjoy...

https://vimeo.com/43263992

Superclyde

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I am logging some features on the XTERRA Gowdy MTB race course. Putting together a longer, more complete version, but here is a little teaser I just uploaded on Vimeo. It's a bit grainy.

:thumbsup:As a nod to one of my favorite M.A.S.H. episodes "5 O'clock Charlie", this video, "One Minute To Phil" is where I was letting my buddy get ahead of me so I could go more full speed, and right when I caught up to him, he ate poo on a root on the side of the trail. A free "Snickers" bar to the first person to ID the music. Enjoy...

https://vimeo.com/43263992

Superclyde
I love this place. I have no idea on the music. :p We hit it two weeks ago and it was stellar. Here's our video and there are a couple of good crashes at the end. Mine's the second one.

·
Back in the saddle
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I-25 north to Cheyenne, turn east on Happy Jack, follow signs to Gowdy. $6 for out-of-state permit.

Here's a good loop: Park at Aspen Grove Trailhead, take Stone Temple trail north. Turn right on Ignoramus for a bit more of a challenge, and take 2% for a quick side challenge. Get back on Ignoramus and continue on to Stone Temple, turn right. Check out the two play areas on Stone Temple before catching up to Albert's Alley. Turn right on Albert's alley. For some real fun, check out "El Alto", I suggest riding it counter-clockwise. Catch back up to Albert's Alley and continue to Crow Creek Trail. This is just across a bridge. Turn right, then left in about a 1/4 mile through a gate on to Mo' Rocka. For a side trip, take Skin & Bones and the advanced play area, or just continue on Mo' Rocka to Sammy's Slide. Sammy's to Crow Creek, turn left, then right at Pinball. Catch back up to Stone Temple and turn right for a fun downhill to the parking lot. This loop will be 1-1.5 hours.
Have lunch, then head south on Granite Ridge to Middle Kingdom for some huge air. I mean huge. Fun trails down by Crystal lake Reservoir.

I'm going up Sunday, leaving Prospect & I-25 at 8am with some other guys.

·
Back in the saddle
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love this place. I have no idea on the music. :p We hit it two weeks ago and it was stellar. Here's our video and there are a couple of good crashes at the end. Mine's the second one.

Awesome video! Gene Krupa Lives!!

·
slow
6,880 Posts
Nice video. I have seen several crash videos from several people in the same place as the first crash in your video (with the red bike). Apparently I have not yet ridden that trail, because I don't remember that section.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Nice video. I have seen several crash videos from several people in the same place as the first crash in your video (with the red bike). Apparently I have not yet ridden that trail, because I don't remember that section.
The trail is in the west side play area and its called exfoliator. Its steep and really fun. If you've ridden end of the line on the east side its a lot like that only shorter. My buddy shot and edited the video I only got the privilege of riding and crashing in it.

·
Back in the saddle
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha, I haven't heard children of sanchez in a long time...well played sir.

I'll be at Prospect Rd. & I-25 at 8am to head to Gowdy tomorrow (Sunday) if you want to redeem your prize (Snickers bar). Otherwise, we'll have to ride some other time. Good job on "name that obscure tune".
:thumbsup:

·
Back in the saddle
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curt Gowdy State Park. Trail system designed specifically for mountain bikes. It's awesome! New trails being developed in a similar way at Glendo too, by the way. Great places for mountain biking.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Is Gowdy the same area that we used to call simply "Happy Jack" about 20 years ago? Are there new trails up there now?
NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curt Gowdy SP is a brand new set of purpose built MTB trails catering to both xc riders and free riders.

Happy Jacks old xc ski trails are still there but Curt Gowdy is light years more evolved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts