Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new IBEX Trophy Comp X7 - a fantastic value btw. Everything is great, but the tires aren't going to cut it. You can't turn in loose soil conditions - well, you can, if you like testing out your helmet.:eekster:

Anyone have a tire suggestion for the Sun DS2-XC rims?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Ask in Wheels & Tires Forum

My guess is you'll get better response there. More than likely Shiggy will give you a good answer. Please be sure to make the post detailed about the conditions you ride in in addition to the loose soil conditions.

Bob

·
Registered
265 Posts
Same thing here... tires.

Also check the reviews section as well. My Maxxis tires are wearing fast (as a soft rubber will). I'm tempted just for old times sake to try the old school Panaracer Smoke and Dart combo. They were my bread and butter on my HT. Would be interesting to see how they work on my Asta X9 FS. One tire everyone seems to tout is the Panaracer Fire XC Pro. A ton of favorable reviews on it (I'm thinking trail/cross country). Might be one to try as well.

There are way too many tire choices these days!

--
Bill

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
i see....

Maxxis makes some good tires. Ignitors are ok for XC use but just ok like it seems others agree.

I am one of a million opinions but for 2.1 XC-size tires, Panaracer Fire XC are pretty good all around tires, for my conditions anyway. Having said that, unless racing, I hate small tires anymore.

Some sweet relatively light, fast rolling, HIGH volume tires that I love are the Kenda Cortez 2.4s....very sweet. They roll fast cause they are basically like a big brother to the Kenda Karma which is a very good XC tire.

Somebody mentioned Minions...they are nice, but not very big for 2.35s at all.....weight in mid to high 800 grams and for XC use would much rather have Cortez 2.4s with less weight myself.

My favorite All Mountain Maxxis tires, though now you are getting heavier (~850 grams) are the Maxxis 2.4 Advantage. Very large volume with excellent traction. They are the only Maxxis that are actually decent size for their indicated size (ie, most maxxis tires smaller than other tires marked as same size).

Other popular XC (or all mountain combos) are the Blue Groove front / Nevegal out back, in 2.1 size (larger size for All Mountain use).

My favorite tire manufacturer though is Schwalbe. A Big Jim up front with a Jimmy out back is a sweet combo. Only downside with Schwalbe is that they are anything but cheap. But tires are so important that it is probably worth it, given how much other bike parts cost. Probably "the" all mountain tire to beat are the Schwalbe Big Bettys. I just put some on my bike and they are gonna rock I am sure (not ridden yet, but heard great things). They have very thick sidewalls for a single ply which is a HUGE plus.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No more headers

wmalan said:
... One tire everyone seems to tout is the Panaracer Fire XC Pro. A ton of favorable reviews on it (I'm thinking trail/cross country). Might be one to try as well.

There are way too many tire choices these days!

--
Bill
Found some Fire XC Pros on sale today - put them on (after using a blowtorch to get the Maxxis' off:madmax: ) - wow - what a difference! I can't believe they would be more expensive than the Ignitors that IBEX put on. What is a great ride just got better - thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Desicions...

"Found some Fire XC Pros on sale today - put them on (after using a blowtorch to get the Maxxis' off ) - wow - what a difference! I can't believe they would be more expensive than the Ignitors that IBEX put on. What is a great ride just got better - thanks for the heads up."

Glad I could help (wish I new more about them...<g>) I'm now torn with the Smoke/Dart combo and the Fire XC Pros now. Both are 2.1's so it's just a matter of riding style I guess. I ride rocky single track to hard fire roads here in So Cal a bit of mud but not a lot of it. Sandy river beds as well.

Btw, I hear getting tires on and off our rims is a pain.

--
Bill

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
wmalan said:
"Found some Fire XC Pros on sale today - put them on (after using a blowtorch to get the Maxxis' off ) - wow - what a difference! I can't believe they would be more expensive than the Ignitors that IBEX put on. What is a great ride just got better - thanks for the heads up."
Glad I could help (wish I new more about them...<g>) I'm now torn with the Smoke/Dart combo and the Fire XC Pros now. Both are 2.1's so it's just a matter of riding style I guess. I ride rocky single track to hard fire roads here in So Cal a bit of mud but not a lot of it. Sandy river beds as well.
Btw, I hear getting tires on and off our rims is a pain.
--Bill
Ive ran the Fire XC Pros..They are a great all round performer :thumbsup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
There are two different versions...

Jake Pay said:
Ive ran the Fire XC Pros..They are a great all round performer :thumbsup:
I almost pulled the trigger on the Fire XC's at Pricepoint until I caught a discussion about TPI (threads per inch I'd assume...). Turns out there is the Japanese version that is 120tpi and a Taiwon version that is 60tpi. I finally gave up and will go the local LBS to get touchy feely with a few brands now. I'm still gonna get the Smoke and Darts though just for old times sake.

--
Bill

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
wmalan said:
I almost pulled the trigger on the Fire XC's at Pricepoint until I caught a discussion about TPI (threads per inch I'd assume...). Turns out there is the Japanese version that is 120tpi and a Taiwon version that is 60tpi. I finally gave up and will go the local LBS to get touchy feely with a few brands now. I'm still gonna get the Smoke and Darts though just for old times sake.

--
Bill
yes there is a difference... but i dont think tpi means threads per inch... i think it's the compound... lower number means more chewing gummy...

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
wmalan said:

--
Bill
Thanks for the heads up..I'd for gotten about the Taiwan re-productions..
Should you go with the Panaracer, the Japanese version is the #1 :thumbsup:

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
mrpercussive said:
yes there is a difference... but i dont think tpi means threads per inch... i think it's the compound... lower number means more chewing gummy...
TPI does mean "threads per inch". The higher the thread count, the tighter the weave. Higher thread counts are usually found on more expensive tires. Many tire makers will make more than one version of a particular tire... perhaps all the way from a 27tpi with wire bead up to a 120tpi with Kevlar. These might also have different rubber compounds which are usually measured in durometer ratings, but may instead carry the manufacturer's descriptive name for a particular compound or combination of compounds.

Regards,
Jack

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
ibexbikes said:
TPI does mean "threads per inch". The higher the thread count, the tighter the weave. Higher thread counts are usually found on more expensive tires. Many tire makers will make more than one version of a particular tire... perhaps all the way from a 27tpi with wire bead up to a 120tpi with Kevlar. These might also have different rubber compounds which are usually measured in durometer ratings, but may instead carry the manufacturer's descriptive name for a particular compound or combination of compounds.

Regards,
Jack
oooo thanx... jack... i think i confused it with durometer... :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Asta X9 Expert Tire replacement followup

I picked up some 2.1 Fire XC's from the LBS. There was no thread count (feels like I'm buying some bed sheets...) but the tires did say they were made in Japan. They were about $25.00. each.

I must say, for me it's a vast improvement. My ride today on some tight rocky single track was awesome. The tires really hook up. I highly recommend them for true cross country type riding. That said, I wonder what a pair of 2.3's of some sort would handle like? I had my eyes on some WTB MotoRaptors but was concerned about the weight hit. On the LBS weight weenie scale, the XC's were under 600g (in the cardboard package). The Moto's were about 780g (cardboard package as well).

Perhaps others here will try a larger tire on the Asta and report back?

--
Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.