Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
x-post from passion section

I don't know how many people on here get to do this but today I was able to give my son my first bike that I got when I was 6. Almost all of my cousins got to learn how to ride a bike on it, and my uncle who originally got it for me set it aside in his shed a number a years ago. Its not as nice as it used to be but being 28 years old and going through probably 5-6 cousins its not too bad. He learned on a strider and road the pedal bike with no training wheels the first try, we even road down to the school and around the track there totaling about 3-4 miles today. I'm looking forward to getting him on the trail in another year or so.

1986 Schwinn Preadator Grimlin.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a sweet bike! How old is your son?
Thanks, he will be 5 in July.

I forgot to add that the uncle that bought me the bike happened to be up visiting today so he got to see my son ride it. And for the people on the fence about balance bikes for their little ones, get one. I remember my first day learning to ride a bike without training wheels and it went nothing like today with my son.

·
ilmfat
1,316 Posts
I spent my whole years rec budget (and then some).

Pretty sure the used spawn bike waiting list is looooong.

Kinda far, but loooooow standover:

Gary Fisher Tyro

Rattle can and:

Specialized Hotrock Girls Bike

Or:

Girl's Bike

Not great, but:

Diamond Back Cobra 20 Boys Mountain Bike

Better than the one above:

Schwinn Mini Mesa 20" Boys Mountain Bike

Worth the drive?:

20" Specialized Hot Rock Boys BMX Bike

Dude!:

Frame Projects or single speed builds

Specialized "Hot Rock"20"project/Frame

I quit looking after the spesh frame.

That frame fork combo is the holy grail for those of us that build em. Idk about the wheels, but they'd be basically free. The spesh frames are dope cause of low standover. And finding rigid 20" forks w Vs is difficult.

I'm jelly of your craigslist.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to make some tweaks to the 16" bike and look for a 20" next year. At the rate he is growing lately I might be able to go to a regular 26" bike if I can make the 20" last 2-3 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.