Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took it home yesterday and when I get pics I'll post them. I know it's the first year for this model but I had to have this bike. It's really awesome!! Too excited to type.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Pics! I was looking at the 06 five inch travel bike on Jenson for a few days... ended up buying a Kona Coiler from Ebay with a fork for about the same price. Congrats on the buy.

·
Gus, just Gus.
147 Posts
I really like Jamis. I am still beating a '01 Komodo hardtail and it has taken everything with a grin. Fits me like a glove and I dread ever switching bikes. If I ever did make a move to FS, it would be a Jamis. Get some pics up and show this thing off!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just finished day 2 ride on XAM 2. Rips. Had some shipment issues, kinked shift cable, front rotor on ECs is "slightly" warped. Some rubs when rolling but nothing huge. Really want to fix all before going all out, but hard to resist. Capitol Forest tomorrow. Very fluid bike, EATS frozen and rutty track. Downhill it rips, can climb pretty good, got to work out the AIR 5.0 settings and the front Talas RLC is the heat. I am iffy on the El Caminos. Stops great up front, some issues as the ride got long. Switched out the rear High Roller (not good for winter weather around here) for a Specialized Pro Enduro and flipped it for traction. Weather here in Washington is trash right now, but good stuff can still be had. Big trees down on most trails but some kind hearted souls are already out and fixing it up. Thought I would be the only one today, but followed some tracks. Cool.
The bike is like a skateboard, tracks and responds to big yanks like a pro. I love the thing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
B07 said:
Just finished day 2 ride on XAM 2. Rips. Had some shipment issues, kinked shift cable, front rotor on ECs is "slightly" warped. Some rubs when rolling but nothing huge. Really want to fix all before going all out, but hard to resist. Capitol Forest tomorrow. Very fluid bike, EATS frozen and rutty track. Downhill it rips, can climb pretty good, got to work out the AIR 5.0 settings and the front Talas RLC is the heat. I am iffy on the El Caminos. Stops great up front, some issues as the ride got long. Switched out the rear High Roller (not good for winter weather around here) for a Specialized Pro Enduro and flipped it for traction. Weather here in Washington is trash right now, but good stuff can still be had. Big trees down on most trails but some kind hearted souls are already out and fixing it up. Thought I would be the only one today, but followed some tracks. Cool.
The bike is like a skateboard, tracks and responds to big yanks like a pro. I love the thing.
Yeah, I really love this thing and have to agree with you on a couple of things. I had the same problems with the front rotor. It was slightly warped and causing rubbing and the brakes had to be bled. The jury is still out on these El Camino's. So how did you work out the settings on the rear shock and fork? Which way is fully open on the rear shock? How much air did you put in your front fork and rear shock and if you could. What's the deal with that little resourvar below the shock. How much air goes in that and where do you set it too?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I followed the Foxracingshox.com instructions to the letter. Rode it twice now and have had to put more air in the main chamber. I weigh 155 with no kit and set the sag to 170. I needed more resistance so pushed it to 200. I don't mess with the booster, thats DNA, although I checked it to 125psi and left it. Everything else went to zero (meaning all the way one way and back off half). Travel at 100 today. Rebound and etc at zero. Much work to be done to tune it in. XT shifters are touchy but fast. Honestly, everything is pretty much good to go. Just adjustment to the shocks to get me where I want it. Brakes are powerful, just alot of snow/slush right now, so I'm probably not the best guy to tell you what I think. Alot of more experienced people than me don't like the ECs, and they are kind of bothering me right now. Could be the conditions, maybe not. Got to say, I love the bike.

·
Registered
101 Posts
theres a pic of mine in the post your jamis thread.
feedback on how it rides, great, i've almost got the DHX 5 dialled just follow the instructions on the fox cd and make minor adjustments from those settings, just remember write down what you do and only change one thing at a time.
the bike climb's very good for the amount of travel its got, it climbs better than my old FSR XC. i think the combination of the fork and shock really help. i raced mine in D grade XC last w/end and was passing guys on XC duallies and HT's on the climbs.
it absolutely bombs downhill the way the rear shock works it feels like its got more travel than it actually has.over all i am very happy with the way the bike is.
the only issue i have with it is the brakes the front needed to be bled and even after that it still felt squishy so i have sent it to the importer to sort out for me.the rear brake hose split after about 50km of riding as well, it split near the seatpost between the 2 guides there is no way it can get into the linkage and the bend at full compression wasn't bad so i just put that one down to a faulty line, it was covered by warranty anyway so no big deal there. fitted up the new hose and all is sweet with the rear brake as well.the only other thing was a defect in the front rotor, it had a small lump of metal on it that gouged out my outer pad nothing that a file didn't fix.
overall it's a quality control issue with hayes that i'm not happy with so far, it could have happened on any bike so not Jamis' fault. other than the brakes the bike is probably one of the best i've ridden.
confidence inspiring, yes
If your not keen on the brakes you should be able to get your dealer to swap them for juicy 7's, XT's or something similar at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The bike itself is a dream. I am however having significant issues with the Hayes El Camino. Dug into the instructions for setup, used some common sense, and evidently neither works. Front brake ok, rear brake a disaster. Power adjustments are incomprehesible, had NO rear brakes yesterday as I picked up speed, had to crank down (huge resistance) then slooooow brake power and when I let off, brakes continued to bind. The rear rotor is now slightly out of true. I don't know whats going on. Probably have to bleed the thing or the smartest thing, take it to a pro at a good shop. People are experts for a reason. Excepting that, I love the bike. Downhill, up, tight turns, bumps, it's good. The variables in the shocks allow for multiple setups and quick adjustments. I even kind of like the crank bros pedals. The shifts are clean and quick. To me, the bike likes to run down, it gets more responsive and manages terrain better as your speed increases. If it weren't for the brake problems I'm having, I wouldn't be writing about it....I'd be on it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
brakes are back and refitted now, they work very well now, all covered by warranty new caliper was fitted and had the brakes back in 3 days. I would advise if you are having issues with the brakes take them back to your LBS and get them sent to the importer for repairs. I cant wait till the weekend to give this bike a workout.

·
Registered
88 Posts
First ride XAM2

Just retired a very well riden 2000 Dakar Expert, she is still in awesome shape, it's just when I saw the XAM 2.0 the honeymoon was over. This bike climbs pacific northwest trails like it were 4x4, drops in smoothly, carves a corner like a slot car. Set up is so easy as everything is on the net. The bike worked flawless until the rear brake line split, lucky for me I had just come to a stop. After seeing how thin the Hayes lines are I'm not taking any chances, upgrading tomorrow to the Goodridge lines, guaranteed forever. I can only imaging loosing brakes when you need them most, :yikes: . Highly recommend converting to the Stans notubes system, the extra grip is unbelievable. I also swapped out the sram cassette for an XT, and those wacky Easton bars for a carbon set. Now 30.6 lbs with pedals. Not bad considering seriously, what this bike is, you can't touch it for $1000 more. :thumbsup: :ciappa: :ihih: :arf: :crazy:

·
Registered
101 Posts
dfaith said:
Just retired a very well riden 2000 Dakar Expert, she is still in awesome shape, it's just when I saw the XAM 2.0 the honeymoon was over. This bike climbs pacific northwest trails like it were 4x4, drops in smoothly, carves a corner like a slot car. Set up is so easy as everything is on the net. The bike worked flawless until the rear brake line split, lucky for me I had just come to a stop. After seeing how thin the Hayes lines are I'm not taking any chances, upgrading tomorrow to the Goodridge lines, guaranteed forever. I can only imaging loosing brakes when you need them most, :yikes: . Highly recommend converting to the Stans notubes system, the extra grip is unbelievable. I also swapped out the sram cassette for an XT, and those wacky Easton bars for a carbon set. Now 30.6 lbs with pedals. Not bad considering seriously, what this bike is, you can't touch it for $1000 more. :thumbsup: :ciappa: :ihih: :arf: :crazy:
yeah got to agree with the way the bike handles and climbs.I had the same issue with the rear hose, where did your's split? mine split just at the seatpost where it bends for the pivot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine seems good now,I didn't leave as much of a loop in the line at that spot when i fitted the new line,pulled it tighter in other words. I did a 12hr on it last weekend and clocked up about 50km and it hasn't kinked. I didn't get any more than 30km out of the first one.
Other than that the bike is perfect. Best ride I've had.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Brake Line

Mine was not looped, is was as you have done it now. Check out www.goodridge.net just got mine back today $285 cdn installed, extremely flexible, sweet looking, I'll let you know how they effect the braking, everything I hear the caminos are spongy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Goodridge Hydraulic Lines

Very worthwhile upgrade, extremely flexible, the grey has a cool carbon look, much larger line, mushy lever feel gone. braking is awesome.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
dfaith said:
Exact same spot, I will let you know what I think about the Goodridge upgrade, looks a lot more flexible.
This a design flaw, not a big deal, does not really have to do with the quality of the line. Just do not use the brakeline cradle closest to the seat tube (straight from Jamis), the hose will still stay in line. When the suspension compresses you are just as likely to kink any brake line.

Bike does rock though....

·
Registered
101 Posts
batts said:
This a design flaw, not a big deal, does not really have to do with the quality of the line. Just do not use the brakeline cradle closest to the seat tube (straight from Jamis), the hose will still stay in line. When the suspension compresses you are just as likely to kink any brake line.

Bike does rock though....
I thought that at first, I told the local importer if they moved the first cradle on the seat stay down towards the axle just an inch it would be much better,or just have one cradle in the middle of the stay.It seems odd that they didn't pick this up in testing, maybe they will do a mid year upgrade and remove one of the cradles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rear Brake Routing

Thanks for the tip. Looked at the strain the line goes through during compression, I immediately released the clip, now the line moves nice and easy. Seems Jamis desire to make the line runs pretty, caused a hazardous situation. A brake failure on a downhill run could lead to a nasty crash. I also informed the dealer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.