Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the itch to buy a new bike and I'm looking for some advice. I've already got a road bike and a single speed. Budget is 3k, the main reason i am looking at fatties is that i live in Fargo ND and hate working out inside. So my main use would be winter riding but I would also like to take it on trails and just kind of fool around with it.

The shops around here seem to have Surlys and Salsas, I tried out a Pugsley the other day and it seemed very cool. The bike i think I'm most interested is the Ice Cream Truck but non of the shops have any on stock. I'm gonna be in the Twin Cities this weekend so hopefully i can find some to test out.

Now time for the questions, would a Ice Cream Truck be worth the price difference over the Pugsley? I'm kind 5'7" and kind of in between sizes, is it best to size up or down? (I know the best answer to that is to actually try out the bikes, but there aren't many in stock) What other brands or models should i be looking at?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got a vassago ver fetten fatbike that I absolutely love. It has an aggressive trail geometry similar to the ict, but it has a 170mm spaced rear, so no 5" tires on it. But it's a really nice top notch steel frame for much less money than the surly, and it's made in the USA. It would be worth a look.

·
Rides like a girl
311 Posts
Try as many as you can. You never know what bike might be The One!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Make sure the frame is plastic, it fits the big tires, thru axles at both ends, and Shimano brakes, and no front derailleur. Do all that, and you can't go wrong. Oh, and up your budget by at least a grand....Your welcome :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
To answer your questions:
I'd recommend riding both the Pugs and the ICT to make up your own mind about them. Most shops rent/demo Pugsleys so it shoudln't be too hard to ride one of those on the trails. I'd probably go for the ICT myself because I'd ride it a lot and it's worth the extra money to me, everyone is different.

Sizing over the internet is always tricky but when I was faced with the same proposition (between sizes) I went with the larger frame and put on a short stem, I love the way my bike handles.

As for other brands, there are a ton out there, the bike I liked the most after riding a bunch of them was the Trek Farley. I liked it the most because it felt the best. It's got a lot of nice features and it's pretty light/fast.

Good luck and have fun.

·
1,248 Posts
Pugs and ICT cover different riding disciplines. Based on your intended usage: "main use would be winter riding but I would also like to take it on trails and just kind of fool around with it", I would say the Pug would be a better bang for buck. ICT has slack angles and is really a trail mountain bike with fat tires. Super fun, but for your uses, I don't think it would be worth the 60% extra $$.

Check out the Moonlander as well. Fatter tires for winter would be a plus (although the Pugs can take a 5" up front).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Personally, the small for both fits me perfect at 5'7"

I definitely prefer the ICT over the Pugs for mountain bike trails. I like the slacker geo a lot more for descents, the stiffer frame is quite noticeable, and I like being able to run the fattest tires.

Not to say there's anything wrong with the Pugs, I've ridden and enjoyed a friend's Pugs on pretty much the same type of trails, but for me and what I ride on a fatbike, the ICT is definitely worth the extra investment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input, I'm definitely going to throw my leg over as many as possible before I pull the trigger. I think I'm leaning towards the ICT though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for the input, I'm definitely going to throw my leg over as many as possible before I pull the trigger. I think I'm leaning towards the ICT though.
If you're going to be in town give both Angry Catfish and Freewheel bikes a call to see what they have in stock.

Freewheel will probably have more to try but you'd need to find out what locations have what. Pretty sure they have a full size run of ICTs and possibly marked down.

Angry Catfish is a cooler shop (IMO) and usually has fatbike stuff in stock. Saying that I am 99% sure they do not have a ICT in your size. Last time I was in they only had an XL but the did have it marked way down to move it.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Since you're in Fargo...We don't have any small fatbikes in stock at Paramount right now, but we can certainly build you up whatever you desire. One of the shop guys, "JC" has a Medium ICT you could likely try out.

I'd also be open to selling my custom 17" Salsa Mukluk, for substantially less than your max budget. PM me. Also find us/me on Fargo Fatbikes on Facebook, we get together throughout the year for rides and such.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts