Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all news of the upcoming storm, if even got a sticky here, a ride off-road seemed iffy and no-shows a certainty. Glowering skies last night and this morning could have kept the kids home. At 8:30 this morning I had 13 out of 13 show up on time and ready to caravan to the park. Precip was minimal, the trails were soupy in places, and there were very few riders out.

We only rode for 2 hours but the goal was really the production; show up, travel, stage, ride, clean up and go for pizza and get home by 1:30. All done. 2 low-speed crashes in switchbacks, 1 flat and many lessons learned by the new riders, The biggest one being that you just gotta show up. I gotta give the kids points for this one. I had 5 more adult riders in support though only one of them had lots of skills. Everyone hung it out there just a bit so the adults get points, too.

A total success.

Attachments

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Ruckus. today is another day.

We have a a ride slated but it is way wet out. I am going to revise the session to be a Trainer workout. Shorted, more intense but definitely dry. We have 8 trainers and split the team into 2 sessions.

Last week we had such an event which we hold in the foyer of the Gym. As the visiting basketball team arrived with their bags and spirit girls we turned it up to full intensity interval level just for show. The basketball players looked like they had been smacked between the eyes. Point made.

When they had passed into the gym I pulled the riders back to cool down and said, " that was all PR." The kids understand this and just grin. Yeah, it is showey but it makes a point to the other sports; we are here to deal. It is the same in public when we go past al the stores on 4th in Berkeley; crisp single file, even tempo. In my second year with this team pride and presence is emerging.

Thanks for your support.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts