Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- I need some thoughts.

I have about $250 to spend to upgrade at this point.

Here is what I have:

2007 Giant Trance 3 w/ Giant Branded Maestro shock in rear
Fox Float RLC set at 130mm
Cane Creek 110 ZS headset
Deore Shifters
Deore FR
XT RD
Avid BB7 Brakes
Whatever cassette came on it- can't tell
FSA Dyna Drive crankset w/ no external BB
CB Mallet pedals
Thomson seatpost
FSA Stem
FSA Bars
Alex DM24 rims / Redline Hubs

Here are my thoughts on what I can do for the money...
  1. Fox RP23 for rear
  2. XT Crankset
  3. XT Cassette and XT Shifters

Any other thoughts? I know the wheel set isn't the greatest, but I went through the ones that came on the bike quickly. This set has held up pretty well for me (started at 280# and about 238 # now). They are heavy, but seem to hold up. I'll replace them at some point, but I don't know that I can get something lighter that will last for the money I have at this point.

What is my best path?

Thanks!

·
Come see me after class
1,431 Posts
congrats on the weight loss

if those are the 3 options you're most interested in, i'd definitely go with #2, the XT crankset. probably shave a good pound off your bike in doing so.

after that, i'd get the rear shock.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,449 Posts
MikeTN said:
thanks.

anyone else have thoughts?
Honestly, I don't think the crankest or shifter/cassette options are going to make enough difference to warrant the money unless the old ones are already in need of replacement.

Any idea who makes that shock? Maybe getting the fork or shock PUSHed might be nice.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have the fox RP23 and absolutely love it. As a side story to the shock... I have a santa cruz superlight and bought it used - when I was looking for 1 year old used demos, etc. that was the key upgrade I wanted on the bike to go with the RXC package. I finally found a bike with that shock after months of looking for the right deal and I am so happy that I didn't just go with the normal rear shock. The RP23 is an awesome rear shock for xc riding b/c you can lock out the shock (turning the pro-pedal on) before a hill and then flip a little switch to open the shock up when you want to - all without getting off the bike. I don't know that it will save you any weight but the shock is such a great upgrade and would be a huge improvement over what you have now.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I think you should give some $ to the guy in the thread above who's complaining that bikes cost too much.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My personal opinion: buy some clothing or accessories that will make your ride more enjoyable/comfortable. I recently realized thats where I needed to spend money on because my gear was subpar. I bought a new helmet (Fox Flux), sexy lycra for under my favorite trail shorts, a jersey that isnt bright yellow (my road one is), an rei backpack with a 100oz bladder, a pair a gloves, and some small goodies for the bike. I can really tell the difference with a nicer helmet and padding for my ass I feel pretty refreshed on the saddle overall. If you are happy with all your gear then I say crank as well since the XT is a pretty nice setup.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would check out your chain/cassette and chain rings for wear and replace if needed. Other than that, if it isn't broken, don't mess with it. Aside from the rear shock the only other thing that will make a difference is better wheels $250 may get you there in a used set.

just my opinion though

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
If you are flexible about what your spending on, try a motel room overnight and a day at a bike park. Lotsa fun!

/bing

·
Registered
989 Posts
MikeTN said:
Here are my thoughts on what I can do for the money...
  1. Fox RP23 for rear
  2. XT Crankset
  3. XT Cassette and XT Shifters

Any other thoughts?
I'm not sure you expressed the aim of your upgrade clearly enough but, of the three options that you listed, number 1 is the most likely to impact the performance/handling of your bike, number 2 is most likely to impact the overall weight (though still at an insignificant level), and number 3 is most likely to impact its mechanical reliability/feel (assuming you have complaints of your current shifters).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses.

A couple of comments- I have shorts, shoes, and gear I am happy with. (Not much choice in helmets since I have to strap a wheelbarrow to my head... I wear a size 8 hat and there are only 3 helmets I have found that fit me).

Nothing on the bike right now needs to be replaced- nothing is broken.

I've got the money to spend, so I figure I might as well do something with it.

As far as goals, I'm not concerned about weight- if it ends up lighter, great, but that is not a driving factor.

I like the handling of the bike now, but the rear could be better. The Maestro shock only has rebound adjustment. It's kind of a balancing act to get it dialed in without either being too stiff and nearly throwing me forward on rebound, and being too mushy and really slow to rebound.

That is really the only thing performance wise I guess I would like to see improved. The shifters could be a hair crisper, but they do the job just fine. I guess that ought to answer my question huh?

For most felt improvement I should go with the rear shock.

·
Underskilled
4,484 Posts
+1 on nothing needs doing,

Spend that $250 on going somewhere special for the weekend.

Remeber that although bike building is a big part of the hobby, riding it is the most fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts